Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: KC and the QB Problem

Default KC and the QB Problem

This a tremendous read by a NFL Draft nut Eric Stoner (@ECStoner on Twitter). It basically supports what I've been trying to say (we need to take a QB round 1).

The summary is he groups quarterbacks into 4 tiers. The top 2 tiers pretty much consist of the best quarterbacks in the league. Tier 3 he describes as "good enough to not get replaced" and tier 4 is the Brady Quinn's of the world.

Of the 13 QBs in the top 2 tiers, 11 of them were first round draft picks. The only two were Drew Brees (1st pick in the 2nd round) and Matt Schaub (3rd round).

The Chiefs, in order to maximize their chances of getting a QBOTF (a tier1/tier2 guy) need to take a QB in the first round.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cf...the-qb-problem

Omg so reaching for a qb this year in the first round when non of them qualify will automatically give US top tier elite qb? Lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Lord-Chiefy View Post
    Omg so reaching for a qb this year in the first round when non of them qualify will automatically give US top tier elite qb? Lmao
    Exactly what I was getting at. Apparently you missed the point of the article also....

Quote Originally Posted by Lord-Chiefy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reded View Post
    Exactly what I was getting at. Apparently you missed the point of the article also....
    When you are under the assumption that there will be no QBs capable of leading a team coming out of this draft, then I can see why you have your opinion.

I am 100% of the belief that we need to give the best QB available a shot. He'd have to really suck to be worse than the Cassel/Quinn brigade. Whether or not our front office thinks that is Geno, Barkley, Wilson, or someone else is to be seen.
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 11-30-2012 at 10:01 AM.

So he does NOT consider tom brady as a top tier QB???
    he was drafted 199th , 6th round
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    So he does NOT consider tom brady as a top tier QB???
    he was drafted 199th , 6th round
    He focused on years 2001-2010.

I'm trying to look at this as a statistical problem. Past history says that you have to get extremely lucky to get a stud QB outside of the first round. BUT 11 of the 13 best QBs since 2001 have been drafted in the 1st round. A lot of these guys were not the highest touted QB coming out of their respective draft (Big Ben, Cutler, Flacco, Freeman, Rodgers). I would be more than happy with any one of these guys.

Yes, I fully acknowledge we could draft the wrong guy and he could not pan out. But this organization is never going to move forward until it takes a shot at obtaining one of the top QBs in the draft. Remember, this is the same organization that has not had a QB it drafted win a game since Todd Blackledge in 1987 and the same organization that has not won a playoff game in 19 years. Brodie Croyle managed to go 0-10! If everyone here is fine with continuing on as we are, bringing in failed FAs at QB, then I won't try to convince you otherwise that we need to reach out and draft a QB in the 1st round.

To me the chance that we get a QB for this franchise for the next 10-15 years in this draft outweighs the risk of getting a flop. If he flops, then it's more of the same. But it's more of the same if we don't get a QB anyway, so it's a double-edged sword.
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 11-30-2012 at 10:11 AM.

in the last 10 years there have neen 34 QBs drafted in the 1st round, 19 are starters of which 5 may be replaced this year so that 14 of 34 or a 41% success rate, wilson and foles are 3rd rounders that are now starting , dalton and kaepernick are 2nd rounders starting, schaub a 3rd rounder and an fyi matt flynn was a 7th and kyle orton a 4th

smith and barkley have a 41% chanc of success being drafted in the first round, i don't think thats worth a number one overall pick.

in the last 10 years there have neen 34 QBs drafted in the 1st round, 19 are starters of which 5 may be replaced this year so that 14 of 34 or a 41% success rate, wilson and foles are 3rd rounders that are now starting , dalton and kaepernick are 2nd rounders starting, schaub a 3rd rounder and an fyi matt flynn was a 7th and kyle orton a 4th

smith and barkley have a 41% chanc of success being drafted in the first round, i don't think thats worth a number one overall pick.
    So....we just wait for a QB to appear out of thin air? I mean, the only other option is to keep sucking as the lowest scoring offense in the NFL.

this could be a year like 2003 with palmer, leftwich, boller and grossman all going in the 1st round or worse 2002 with carr, huntington and ramsey...both pretty lean years for QBs

this could be a year like 2003 with palmer, leftwich, boller and grossman all going in the 1st round or worse 2002 with carr, huntington and ramsey...both pretty lean years for QBs
    It could also be like 2004 when Eli, Rivers, Ben came out. Nobody knows. Which is exactly why you have to take that shot. I don't want to be looking back on this in 2016 while the Raiders, Jaguars, and Cardinals all snag franchise QBs and the Chiefs use their first overall pick on a LB.

This is all hypothetical, but in a QB-first league, you have to be willing to take chances when it comes to the QB position.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast