Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Our Faithful GM and What he Thought About Trading For Matt Cassel

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    2,959
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 22

    Default Our Faithful GM and What he Thought About Trading For Matt Cassel


    0 Not allowed!
    This a great article from the KC Star about Cassel's tenure here. You can read it for yourself, but I wanted to pull out one quote (thanks to @ChrisWesseling on Twitter for pointing this out):

    "Shortly after making the trade that would come to define his time as general manager of the Chiefs, Scott Pioli began telling friends he wasn’t sure how good Matt Cassel would be as a starting NFL quarterback.

    “But I know he’ll work like a great one,” Pioli said.

    In that way, Cassel has lived up to his side of the deal. He has been promoted and paid like good starter, and it turns out he has the ability of a good backup. The gap is not because of a lack of effort, or caring. That’s not his fault. Neither is his tie to Pioli.
    "

    Read more here: Sam Mellinger | Cassel sets example despite abuse - KansasCity.com

    Sam Mellinger | Cassel sets example despite abuse - KansasCity.com
    Diehard Fan Living in Packer Territory

    Co-Founder: 2 Mugs Fantasy Football -- a site about and football!

  2. #21
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,243
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 583
    Given: 773

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    "Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

    Te'o doesn't magically turn this team into a competitor year in and year out. He's probably going to be a solid LBer in this league, but a lot of hype comes because he is 1.) Playing in the national championship game and 2.) was in the Heisman race. He's a great college player, but he's not going to be a difference maker for the Chiefs when their offense continues to put up 15 points a week.
    This analysis is a stone cold fact whether anyone likes it or not. People simply need to discern the difference between somebody giving their opinion & someone telling it like it is.

    The ILB position is NOT as important to the Chiefs right now as bolstering the QB position and trying to get the type of quality QB that they haven't had since Trent Green.

    Wanting Te'o smacks more of hero-worship than from a football standpoint. The Chiefs can address the ILB position either via FA or draft one in later rounds or draft in 2014. It is NOT the teams biggest need at this point in time. Bolstering the QB position is. Quinn is still an unknown commodity, Cassel isn't the guy and Stanzi hasn't even shown that he warrants playing time.

    Geno Smith, to me is a guy they have to consider because of his huge upside & he did turn in a big-time performance in a big-time game ( Orange Bowl, January 2012 ). Wanting him has nothing to do with hero worship, it's from a football standpoint to try and address a desperate need at the most important position.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 12-07-2012 at 03:32 PM.

  3. #22
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    2,959
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 22

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I wanted to share a couple of tweets from a fellow Chiefs fan I follow on Twitter. His handle is @TheFilmRoom:

    "There was a time when the MLB defined a defense. That pesky 3rd WR in favor of a FB kinda diminished that value for me."

    "Superbowls used to be about stopping Emmitt/Terrell Davis/etc... Now it's about stopping NO/GB/NE/NYG and I can barely name the running back."


    I can't even begin to elaborate on how true this is.
    Diehard Fan Living in Packer Territory

    Co-Founder: 2 Mugs Fantasy Football -- a site about and football!

  4. #23
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,530
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    This analysis is a stone cold fact whether anyone likes it or not. People simply need to discern the difference between somebody giving their opinion & someone telling it like it is.

    The ILB position is NOT as important to the Chiefs right now as bolstering the QB position and trying to get the type of quality QB that they haven't had since Trent Green.

    Wanting Te'o smacks more of hero-worship than from a football standpoint. The Chiefs can address the ILB position either via FA or draft one in later rounds or draft in 2014. It is NOT the teams biggest need at this point in time. Bolstering the QB position is. Quinn is still an unknown commodity, Cassel isn't the guy and Stanzi hasn't even shown that he warrants playing time.

    Geno Smith, to me is a guy they have to consider because of his huge upside & he did turn in a big-time performance in a big-time game ( Orange Bowl, January 2012 ). Wanting him has nothing to do with hero worship, it's from a football standpoint to try and address a desperate need at the most important position.
    you won't find an ILB close to Teo's ability in the 2nd or 3rd rounds but you will find QBs rated just below geno in the 2nd, so from a pure football value standpoint picking Teo over Smith is not a bad move, or even addressing the CB hole we have. getting a jones or wilson in the 2nd to fill the QB is not as much of a step down from smith or barkley. who we "should" pick will depend on where we draft more than what our biggest need is right now.
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

  5. #24
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,112
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 139

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    This analysis is a stone cold fact whether anyone likes it or not. People simply need to discern the difference between somebody giving their opinion & someone telling it like it is.

    The ILB position is NOT as important to the Chiefs right now as bolstering the QB position and trying to get the type of quality QB that they haven't had since Trent Green.

    Wanting Te'o smacks more of hero-worship than from a football standpoint. The Chiefs can address the ILB position either via FA or draft one in later rounds or draft in 2014. It is NOT the teams biggest need at this point in time. Bolstering the QB position is. Quinn is still an unknown commodity, Cassel isn't the guy and Stanzi hasn't even shown that he warrants playing time.

    Geno Smith, to me is a guy they have to consider because of his huge upside & he did turn in a big-time performance in a big-time game ( Orange Bowl, January 2012 ). Wanting him has nothing to do with hero worship, it's from a football standpoint to try and address a desperate need at the most important position.
    As someone who REALLY likes Manti Teo (and is a huge ND fan, I agree. I like him because of him, not because the Chiefs NEED him. I dont think anyone on here will argue that a good QB will have a bigger effect on our team than an amazing ILB. Especially in a 3-4 where there are two ILBs. ILB is very low on our list of NEEDS. IMO our needs, biggest first, are: QB, CB, speed WR, safety, interior line (depth), and THEN ILB). So while, I would love to have Te'o, I wouldnt be upset

    However I think a lot of people on here are worried that the top QBs in this year's draft wouldnt have been good enough to even go in the top 3 rounds last year. Basically, they (myself included) are worried that Geno Smith, Barkley, et al are NOT going to improve our QB play. If that is the evaluation coming from everyone, then wouldnt we be better off NOT drafting a QB. I wouldnt be surprised if I see us drafting a CB in the top 10 (especially with Manning in Denver back in full form it is clear the AFC west division winner has to get through them).

    The more I think of it, I hope there are a bunch of teams that want OLB/DEs. If that is the case, then hopefully we can trade down.

  6. #25
    Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    866
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 10

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord-Chiefy View Post
    I say keep Matt and upgrade coaches. Draft teo. And pick up wr and o-line depth and a 2nd or 3rd rd qb.



  7. #26
    Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    866
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 10

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    JFC, can we DRAFT A QB PLEASE? What is all of this linebacker talk, we are fine in the lb position, we NEED a qb.

    It is no coincidence you see great qb's winning super bowls, what do we need, another DJ or an Aaron Rodgers?

    I am not saying DJ is bad, he is a good LB, but it is a passing league, you need a great qb to compete. Is there an aaron rodgers in this year's draft? I dont know, but I would much rather try and fail instead of being conservative, which is what we have done the past 3/4 seasons and look where we are now.

    Think about it.
    Last edited by MyManHali; 12-07-2012 at 06:46 PM.

  8. #27
    Member Since
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,707
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 396
    Given: 78

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MyManHali View Post
    JFC, can we DRAFT A QB PLEASE? What is all of this linebacker talk, we are fine in the lb position, we NEED a qb.

    It is no coincidence you see great qb's winning super bowls, what do we need, another DJ or an Aaron Rodgers?

    I am not saying DJ is bad, he is a good LB, but it is a passing league, you need a great qb to compete. Is there an aaron rodgers in this year's draft? I dont know, but I would much rather try and fail instead of being conservative, which is what we have done the past 3/4 seasons and look where we are now.

    Think about it.
    While I agree that we are in much more need of and Aaron Rodgers then an Dj I don't see anther Aaron Rodgers in this draft. Could one turn out to be that sure but there's no clear cut can't miss guy out there.

    It's not about "taking anther LB" for most it's finding the guy that can help us win more games. If Tao shows that he is much closer to being anther DJ then any QB is to being anther Aaron Rodgers then I think we should take Tao. And the other way around. If it's a tie I think we should go with the QB. I just don't see a QB who has stood out as much as Tao has

  9. #28
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    28,044
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 246
    Given: 436

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MyManHali View Post
    I am pretty sure, although not certain, Cassel's contract was 5 mil in 09, 20 in 10 and 11 and then 5 this year. We, (well clark) already took the biggest hit.

    Fat scott is nothing but a politican who will say anything to keep his job. I thought for sure he would be fired after this year, but now after this Belcher thing, I am not so sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
    Nope. idiot Scott signed him to that ridiculous contract without him even playing a down as a Chief. What he should have done was keep him on his franchise tender for the year to see how well he did.
    I see, yeah, not the brightest move in the whole world.


  10. #29
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,243
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 583
    Given: 773

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    As someone who REALLY likes Manti Teo (and is a huge ND fan, I agree. I like him because of him, not because the Chiefs NEED him. I dont think anyone on here will argue that a good QB will have a bigger effect on our team than an amazing ILB. Especially in a 3-4 where there are two ILBs. ILB is very low on our list of NEEDS. IMO our needs, biggest first, are: QB, CB, speed WR, safety, interior line (depth), and THEN ILB). So while, I would love to have Te'o, I wouldnt be upset

    However I think a lot of people on here are worried that the top QBs in this year's draft wouldnt have been good enough to even go in the top 3 rounds last year. Basically, they (myself included) are worried that Geno Smith, Barkley, et al are NOT going to improve our QB play. If that is the evaluation coming from everyone, then wouldnt we be better off NOT drafting a QB. I wouldnt be surprised if I see us drafting a CB in the top 10 (especially with Manning in Denver back in full form it is clear the AFC west division winner has to get through them).

    The more I think of it, I hope there are a bunch of teams that want OLB/DEs. If that is the case, then hopefully we can trade down.
    Geno Smith would have been taken ahead of Weeden in last years draft. Look where Tannehill was taken -- at #8. Many didn't think he was even a 1st rounder. Smith is considered a 1st rounder as of right now. He's said to have a very good work ethic, although there might be some maturity issues -- he'll learn and mature. Nobody can question his ability to throw the football. He can throw it every bit as well as Luck or RGIII or any QB that was taken in the 2012 draft & it's said he can read defenses very well.

    The Chiefs can't afford to NOT try. They really need to double-dip at the QB position in this draft.

    Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    you won't find an ILB close to Teo's ability in the 2nd or 3rd rounds but you will find QBs rated just below geno in the 2nd, so from a pure football value standpoint picking Teo over Smith is not a bad move, or even addressing the CB hole we have. getting a jones or wilson in the 2nd to fill the QB is not as much of a step down from smith or barkley. who we "should" pick will depend on where we draft more than what our biggest need is right now.
    Not under the new CBA. See my reference to Tannehill. Things have changed, and teams are leaning more towards filling positions of need because they can afford to now.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 12-08-2012 at 10:14 AM.

  11. #30
    Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SW Oklahoma
    Posts
    242
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

    Unhappy


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by #58ChiefsFan View Post
    Not to defend Pioli but Cassel just came off an 11-5 year where he was 10-5 as a starter. He was supposedly recreating the exact same thing. I'm not convinced Cassel was the wrong choice at the time, the major fault was the lack of coaching. You know the same damn problem we still have four years later.
    There really wasn't alot out there at the time if i recall right. Its not all on the bad coaching , at least half the fact is that Cassel does not have the talent. Seems like a great guy and i hear alot that he works hard but there is no improvement at all. I wish him the best after the season where ever he ends up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Matt Cassel
    By tdehoff in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-09-2011, 06:22 PM
  2. Matt Cassel
    By KEEPSNAPPIN in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 11-02-2009, 11:06 AM
  3. matt cassel on kc .com
    By slc chief in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-23-2008, 12:00 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •