Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our Faithful GM and What he Thought About Trading For Matt Cassel

Default Our Faithful GM and What he Thought About Trading For Matt Cassel

This a great article from the KC Star about Cassel's tenure here. You can read it for yourself, but I wanted to pull out one quote (thanks to @ChrisWesseling on Twitter for pointing this out):

"Shortly after making the trade that would come to define his time as general manager of the Chiefs, Scott Pioli began telling friends he wasn’t sure how good Matt Cassel would be as a starting NFL quarterback.

“But I know he’ll work like a great one,” Pioli said.

In that way, Cassel has lived up to his side of the deal. He has been promoted and paid like good starter, and it turns out he has the ability of a good backup. The gap is not because of a lack of effort, or caring. That’s not his fault. Neither is his tie to Pioli.
    "

Read more here: Sam Mellinger | Cassel sets example despite abuse - KansasCity.com

Sam Mellinger | Cassel sets example despite abuse - KansasCity.com

Good article, He seems like an awesome guy, and I really wanted him to be a great qb for us. I wish his ability was half of his willingness.
    Doing my best to keep my sons memory alive!!!

I'd live to keep Matt as a back up.. with a huge pay cut...

NO. I want Matt gone. PERIOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
    NO. I want Matt gone. PERIOD.

It could have been worse; we could have kept Brodie Croyle.

Yeah sure, fat scott knew cassel wouldn't work out, it's why he paid him 60 mil.

Quote Originally Posted by MyManHali View Post
    Yeah sure, fat scott knew cassel wouldn't work out, it's why he paid him 60 mil.
    That's a valid point, however, I was under the impression, for some reason, that the big contract came after turning in his Pro Bowl season.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    That's a valid point, however, I was under the impression, for some reason, that the big contract came after turning in his Pro Bowl season.

I am pretty sure, although not certain, Cassel's contract was 5 mil in 09, 20 in 10 and 11 and then 5 this year. We, (well clark) already took the biggest hit.

Fat scott is nothing but a politican who will say anything to keep his job. I thought for sure he would be fired after this year, but now after this Belcher thing, I am not so sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Nope. idiot Scott signed him to that ridiculous contract without him even playing a down as a Chief. What he should have done was keep him on his franchise tender for the year to see how well he did.

Not to defend Pioli but Cassel just came off an 11-5 year where he was 10-5 as a starter. He was supposedly recreating the exact same thing. I'm not convinced Cassel was the wrong choice at the time, the major fault was the lack of coaching. You know the same damn problem we still have four years later.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast