vs.
    Carolina Panthers (3-8)

Sunday, December 2, 12:00PM Central Time

at

Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, KS

on FOX

Watch online: Kansas City Chiefs vs Carolina Panthers Live Stream Online
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Team Leaders
    Chiefs
    Offense:

Passing
    Matt Cassel

161-277, 1796 yds, 6 TDs, 12 INTs

Rushing
    Jamaal Charles

195 carries, 928 yds, 3 TDs

Receiving
    Dwayne Bowe

53 rec, 667 yds, 3 TDs

Defense:
    Tackles
    Derrick Johnson

92 tackles (81 solo)

Sacks
    Justin Houston

9 sacks

Interceptions
    Brandon Flowers

3 INTs

Full team stats

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Team Leaders
    Panthers
    Offense:

Passing
    Cam Newton

189-328, 2701 yds, 11 TDs, 10 INTs

Rushing
    Cam Newton Again!

88 carries, 446 yds, 6 TDs

Receiving
    Steve Smith

48 rec, 770 yds, 1 TDs

Defense:
    Tackles
    Luke Kuechley

106 tackles (59 solo)

Sacks
    Charles Johnson

8.5 sacks

Interceptions
    Captain Munnerlyn

and
    Haruki Nakamura

2 INTs each

Full team stats

Notable Quotables

Chiefs:
    "We aren't scoring touchdowns, and you can't win unless you score. Where are they going to come from? You've got me, but we had better find some quick or we will all be on the street."

—Chiefs C, Ryan Lilja talking about his team, which is the lowest scoring club in the league.

Panthers: "We've had some young guys that've had to fill a role and they've been kind of worried and concerned and felt like they weren't good enough, so it's great that these guys are doing well and they're contributing."

—WR Steve Smith, on the Panthers' ability to finally hold onto a fourth quarter lead in their Monday night wiel

Spread: Panthers by 3, Over/Under 40

Game Day Forcast: Mostly Cloudy, 67 Degrees

B]ESPN Preview

Kansas City Chiefs vs. Carolina Panthers - Preview - December 2, 2012 - ESPN

It has been one challenge after another this season for the NFL-worst Kansas City Chiefs.

Sunday's game against the Carolina Panthers, however, will no doubt be their most difficult.

Just over 24 hours after linebacker Jovan Belcher fatally shot his girlfriend before driving to Arrowhead Stadium and killing himself, Kansas City will host the Panthers as it attempts to avoid matching the longest losing streak in team history.

Belcher murdered 22-year-old Kasandra M. Perkins, the mother of their 3-month-old daughter, then went to Arrowhead and committed suicide in front of Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli and coach Romeo Crennel, thanking them for all they'd done before turning the gun on himself. Authorities did not release a motive for the murder-suicide.

"The entire Chiefs family is deeply saddened by today's events, and our collective hearts are heavy with sympathy, thoughts and prayers for the families and friends affected by this unthinkable tragedy," Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt said in a statement.

There were questions if the game would go on as scheduled, but the team announced Saturday afternoon it would play "after discussions between the league office, Head Coach Romeo Crennel and Chiefs team captains."

Crennel is planning to be on the sideline Sunday despite witnessing the suicide of Belcher, who had started 10 of the team's 11 games.

The embattled coach now faces the difficult job of keeping his players in the right frame of mind as they try to avoid joining the 1987 and 2007 Chiefs as the only teams in franchise history to lose nine straight games.

Kansas City (1-10) has struggled offensively and defensively during its skid, averaging 10.4 points in the past seven contests and giving up at least 26 points five times over the eight-game slide.

The Chiefs rank last in the league with 32 giveaways and 94 red-zone points. They fell to 0-6 at home with a 17-9 loss to Denver on Sunday, managing just 264 yards.

Jamaal Charles ran for 107 but Brady Quinn went 13 of 25 for 126 yards and an interception. The Chiefs have gone more than 173 minutes without a touchdown.

"This is a result-driven business we're in and ... when you don't get results, you don't feel good about it," Crennel told the team's official website.

"Everybody is frustrated about losing -- players, coaches, fans, owners, everybody. What we want or what we need is, we need to try to win a game to make us feel better, give us a little confidence and then if you win one, then maybe we can win another one."

The Chiefs, giving up 126.1 rushing yards per contest, could catch a break with Panthers running back Jonathan Stewart uncertain to play after suffering a high ankle sprain in Monday's 30-22 victory over Philadelphia. Carolina, which also lost defensive tackle Ron Edwards to a season-ending dislocated left elbow in that game, is expected to give DeAngelo Williams his first start since Week 5 if Stewart can't go.

Carolina (3-8) is all but certain to end up with a losing record for the third straight year despite optimistic preseason predictions to the contrary, though it has split its last four games. Cam Newton, who has struggled in 2012 after an outstanding rookie season, threw for 306 yards and two touchdowns against the Eagles while rushing for 52 yards and two scores.

"Winning is huge. It cures all," coach Ron Rivera told the team's official website. "We've got to continue now. We have to take this momentum we have on a short week into Kansas City."

The Panthers -- scoring 19.5 points per game to rank 25th in the NFL after averaging 25.4 last year -- posted their second-highest point total of the season. Newton could be in for another big day against a Chiefs defense that's surrendered 22 passing touchdowns.

Newton threw five TDs and eight interceptions during Carolina's 1-6 start but has recorded six and two as the Panthers have split their last four games.

"People are throwing different things at him now," Rivera said of Newton, whose 20 rushing TDs since the start of last season are second most in the league. "They're trying to throw things that have worked against him at him, and he's learning those things and understanding them."

The Panthers, seeking a third straight win in this series, took the last matchup 34-0 on Oct. 5, 2008, behind 123 rushing yards and two scores from Williams.

I hope this game does whatever the team is hoping for by deciding to play it out.

Good luck men.

I am in total shock that they are playing this game. I just do not understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    I am in total shock that they are playing this game. I just do not understand.
    I know it's a very difficult situation, but they have an obligation to season ticket holders, stadium employees, station affiliates, etc. It would be easy to just forfeit, but that would cost all concerned millions of dollars. As tough as it may be, the show must go on.

I don't know if this will inspire the Chiefs or distract them. It should be interesting though.

belcher commited a senseless And Selfish act. It doesnt surpriSe me. For romeo crennel however i do simpathize for. He should not be out there. Go chiefs!

To be honest I really don't know how to feel about the game tomorrow. I'm just guessing that it is the proper thing to do. It's incredibly unfortunate but if Javon's memory is in any way tainted it will be because of his actions and not whether or not the game is played.

You got that right Chiefster. I am really worried about Romeo and Scott they were forced to watch the terrible act their friend did, my prayers go out to them sure hope they can sleep tonight, I don't think I could.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast