Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: QBs and Super Bowl Contenders

Default QBs and Super Bowl Contenders

Coming into the season, there was little doubt as to who the Super Bowl contenders were. The stalwarts like:

Patriots-Brady
    Steelers-Roethlesberger
    Ravens-Flacco
    Falcons-Ryan
    Texans-Shaub
    Packers-Rogers
    Giants-Manning

As horrible as the Chiefs offense has been this season, they still have a defense ranked #15 in the league. Pair that defense with an offense that can control the clock and keep them fresh, and Chiefs would have a top 10 or even top 5 defense. The offensive line ranks in the top 5. The Chiefs have the 4th best rushing attack. They have 2 first round picks at WR along with Breaston, McCluster, and a great pass catching TE in Moeaki. This team as an above average special teams unit as well.

The Chiefs, as a full unit, have fewer holes on their team than the perennial Super Bowl contenders. So, what are we missing? We can sit here and blame coaching until we're blue in the face, but the point of the matter is that this team won't be able to do anything until they address the most important position on the team. No coaching staff will have a chance at success as long as Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn are under center.

If you don't believe me, go watch the Steelers being led by Charlie Batch. They're AWFUL. They look a lot like Chiefs, in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by MyManHali View Post
    Yeah well when the offense continually puts 6 points on the board I put the blame on Cassel. He gets the lengthy contract and the big money.

He should take the responsbility, at the end of the day it's his job to manage the game, move the chains, and put points on the board. The only time he did that this year was in the first half against atlanta.

It's up to the qb to offset mistakes made by his teammates, that is why he gets the most money, if the starting qb can't do that then he shouldn't be playing.
    It depends on the QB & just exactly what type of mistakes he has to overcome. Matt Schaub couldn't offset his teams mistakes that were being made when they hosted GB and Aaron Rodgers ripped the Texans defense with 6 TD passes. Yet, he's still a pretty good QB.

On the other hand, if you were referring to the way the Chiefs have folded in games this year with Cassel at the helm whenever something went wrong, that is true. Unfortunately, he couldn't offset the mistakes, and often he did add to them. The biggest problem was Pioli handing him that big contract before he ever set foot on the field. It should have been a more modest 3 or 4 year deal and some legit competition should have been brought in during the last 3 or 4 years, but wasn't.

Like everybody else, I'd love for the Chiefs to have Joe Montana in his prime. It amazes me that some retards over at kansascity.com say that Elway was the best QB ever. Elway was not in Montana's class, ever. Nobody was.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    It depends on the QB & just exactly what type of mistakes he has to overcome. Matt Schaub couldn't offset his teams mistakes that were being made when they hosted GB and Aaron Rodgers ripped the Texans defense with 6 TD passes. Yet, he's still a pretty good QB.

On the other hand, if you were referring to the way the Chiefs have folded in games this year with Cassel at the helm whenever something went wrong, that is true. Unfortunately, he couldn't offset the mistakes, and often he did add to them. The biggest problem was Pioli handing him that big contract before he ever set foot on the field. It should have been a more modest 3 or 4 year deal and some legit competition should have been brought in during the last 3 or 4 years, but wasn't.

Like everybody else, I'd love for the Chiefs to have Joe Montana in his prime. It amazes me that some retards over at kansascity.com say that Elway was the best QB ever. Elway was not in Montana's class, ever. Nobody was.

Let's not single out any one performance here. Cassel is 0-19 when teams score more than 24 points.

I will repeat that, Cassel is 0-19 when opposing teams score more than 24 points. Never in his life has he put the team on his back and won a game. Not once, and this guy at one time made more than Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, and Drew Brees. He was a fraud who was finally exposed this year. Thank god, and now we can all move on (Well atleast some of us).

Let's not single out any one performance here. Cassel is 0-19 when teams score more than 24 points.

I will repeat that, Cassel is 0-19 when opposing teams score more than 24 points. Never in his life has he put the team on his back and won a game. Not once, and this guy at one time made more than Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, and Drew Brees. He was a fraud who was finally exposed this year. Thank god, and now we can all move on (Well atleast some of us).
    So instead of putting that on the defense you put the defense not doing there job on Cassel?

of those 19 loses there was DEC 20 2009 when the Chiefs with Cassel at QB put up 34 points wouldn't you say that should win a game? October 2010 the chiefs put up 31 points and lost that's Cassel's fault? Nov 2010 against the Broncos 29 points and still lost. Once again you excuse the failures of others to hate the QB.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    So instead of putting that on the defense you put the defense not doing there job on Cassel?

of those 19 loses there was DEC 20 2009 when the Chiefs with Cassel at QB put up 34 points wouldn't you say that should win a game? October 2010 the chiefs put up 31 points and lost that's Cassel's fault? Nov 2010 against the Broncos 29 points and still lost. Once again you excuse the failures of others to hate the QB.

I put the lack of offensive production solely on Cassel's shoulders. Not once has he ever took it upon himself to put up big numbers and win games when the defense is struggling. It hasn't happened. Other quarterbacks seem to do it, why can't he?

We are 3-20 when we throw more than we run. Awful numbers against winning teams, not just record but stats. Dink and dunk passer, no ability to come from behind and win. Please, enough of the Cassel talk, we have all had enough. Why can't we must move on. The guy sucks.

Those teams you listed were absolutely awful that year, Houston and Denver defensively were both 30th and 32nd in total yards per game, 32nd and 29th in points per game.

Cassel supporters will never give it up.
    Last edited by MyManHali; 12-04-2012 at 12:33 AM.

I put the lack of offensive production solely on Cassel's shoulders. Not once has he ever took it upon himself to put up big numbers and win games when the defense is struggling. It hasn't happened. Other quarterbacks seem to do it, why can't he?

We are 3-20 when we throw more than we run. Awful numbers against winning teams, not just record but stats. Dink and dunk passer, no ability to come from behind and win. Please, enough of the Cassel talk, we have all had enough. Why can't we must move on. The guy sucks.

Those teams you listed were absolutely awful that year, Houston and Denver defensively were both 30th and 32nd in total yards per game, 32nd and 29th in points per game.

Cassel supporters will never give it up.
    Just look at what we have seen this seasons Bad qb play yes its been there but we also have seen

Wr tipping balls to defenders A LOT
    RBs fumbling both Hillis and Charles
    Horrible O line play at to,es
    Horrible play calling
    a head coach that can't answer why the MVP on offense only got 5 carries
    HORRIBLE defense a fair amount of the year

HOW can you ignore all of that and say that the QBs the reason we can't win. You just want to look at the results and the stats but that's just not a good way to look at it. You can make someone look as good or as bad as you want when you do that. Look at the WHOLE story what happened. When theres a INT can you really blame the QB when it hits the WR in the hand and he tips it to a defender like we have seen so much this year?

And you talk about how bad the ds on the other teams were does that excuse ours? What did we have to play with there defense to?

Like it or not there are WAY to many holes to say the QBS are the reason we are losing. I'm not a cassel supporter I WANT HIM GONE to. But I just object to this non stop pretending that the QBs the reason we are losing when there are so many other reasons we are losing. You say supporters wont give it up HATERS won't give it up. THREAD after thread about the QBs hall passes given to everyone else.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Just look at what we have seen this seasons Bad qb play yes its been there but we also have seen

Wr tipping balls to defenders A LOT
    RBs fumbling both Hillis and Charles
    Horrible O line play at to,es
    Horrible play calling
    a head coach that can't answer why the MVP on offense only got 5 carries
    HORRIBLE defense a fair amount of the year

HOW can you ignore all of that and say that the QBs the reason we can't win. You just want to look at the results and the stats but that's just not a good way to look at it. You can make someone look as good or as bad as you want when you do that. Look at the WHOLE story what happened. When theres a INT can you really blame the QB when it hits the WR in the hand and he tips it to a defender like we have seen so much this year?

And you talk about how bad the ds on the other teams were does that excuse ours? What did we have to play with there defense to?

Like it or not there are WAY to many holes to say the QBS are the reason we are losing. I'm not a cassel supporter I WANT HIM GONE to. But I just object to this non stop pretending that the QBs the reason we are losing when there are so many other reasons we are losing. You say supporters wont give it up HATERS won't give it up. THREAD after thread about the QBs hall passes given to everyone else.

Do you honestly think if Cassel had Aaron Rodgers' skills they would limit him throwing? They take the ball out of his hands because he sucks.

Didn't green bay have one of the worst defenses in the NFL last year? They somehow managed to go 15-1, why is that? Oh yes, the qb.

That being said I think we would be 7-5 or maybe 6-6 depending on that home game against san diego with a capable qb. Kyle Orton, who pretty much had the same coaching staff went 2-1, and he isn't even a starter in this league.
    Last edited by MyManHali; 12-04-2012 at 02:39 AM.

Do you honestly think if Cassel had Aaron Rodgers' skills they would limit him throwing? They take the ball out of his hands because he sucks.
    THIS THIS AND MORE THIS

You can lead a horse to water, I guess...

How does that excuse the wrs for tipping balls to defenders, The O line being bad at times. The defense playing so poorly at times? That means that the only play they could run against the Steelers was run to the left? The QB play hasn't been good at all I will never deny that. But How can you ignore ALL THE OTHER poor play?

Didn't green bay have one of the worst defenses in the NFL last year? They somehow managed to go 15-1, why is that? Oh yes, the qb.
    And tell me where his WRS tipping balls to defenders as much as we have seen ours? Does he suck because of the poor defense to? Is that his fault? Or is that just the rule with our QBs.They won games inspite of there D Rodgers is a GREAT qb. A great QB can overcome those at times. Cassel isn't a great Qb.He can't. But that excuses everyone else for there mistakes? Sorry I can't buy that.

That being said I think we would be 7-5 or maybe 6-6 depending on that home game against san diego with a capable qb. Kyle Orton, who pretty much had the same coaching staff went 2-1, and he isn't even a starter in this league.

Funny how you praise Orton when his biggest win game against a horrible Defense in the packers and he but up below what they averaged giving up. Funny how you give him credit for wins against a horrible d but you excuse every other Qb because of weak teams. You can't have it both ways.

With a better QB we would have more then 2 wins. But we wouldn't be going anywhere. Not with all the problems that this team has had. When you have this amount of poor play you have to put it on the door step of the head coach. If you're a realist then be a realist talk about ALL THE OTHER problems we have instead of just 1 OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. QB is a big problem but Coaching is a BIGGER problem with this team right now
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

....... but Coaching is a BIGGER problem with this team right now
    People's Exhibit A:

They've just now figured it out that Tyson Jackson should be on the field playing DT in obvious passing situations along with Poe. That was something that should have been given a try many moons ago given that Jackson was a #3 overall pick.

They just never gave him the chance to play on the D-Line on obvious passing situations & now they are finding out that there is some value keeping him on the field every down & he's sacking the QB.

My point is, we didn't see TJ's value as an every-down D-Lineman because they didn't give him that chance to demonstrate it.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 12-04-2012 at 01:35 PM.

How does that excuse the wrs for tipping balls to defenders, The O line being bad at times. The defense playing so poorly at times? That means that the only play they could run against the Steelers was run to the left? The QB play hasn't been good at all I will never deny that. But How can you ignore ALL THE OTHER poor play?

And tell me where his WRS tipping balls to defenders as much as we have seen ours? Does he suck because of the poor defense to? Is that his fault? Or is that just the rule with our QBs.They won games inspite of there D Rodgers is a GREAT qb. A great QB can overcome those at times. Cassel isn't a great Qb.He can't. But that excuses everyone else for there mistakes? Sorry I can't buy that.

Funny how you praise Orton when his biggest win game against a horrible Defense in the packers and he but up below what they averaged giving up. Funny how you give him credit for wins against a horrible d but you excuse every other Qb because of weak teams. You can't have it both ways.

With a better QB we would have more then 2 wins. But we wouldn't be going anywhere. Not with all the problems that this team has had. When you have this amount of poor play you have to put it on the door step of the head coach. If you're a realist then be a realist talk about ALL THE OTHER problems we have instead of just 1 OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. QB is a big problem but Coaching is a BIGGER problem with this team right now

The ol' tipped ball excuse, Matt, the Packers were among the league leaders in dropped passes, yet Aaron Rodgers, with a bad defense goes on to have a 15-1 season with a mvp trophy.

Drop Rate 2011: Which receivers are dropping the ball? | ProFootballFocus.com

Orton's games as a Chief were all against playoff calibur teams is my point, and he doesn't even start in this league. He had the same head coach that Cassel did.

My main point is this, quarterbacks have the ball in their hands. Good quarterbacks take control of games and offset mistakes made by their teammates (see aaron rodgers above)

Matt, Cassel was a bust. You need to just admit he is not a capable qb, and then we can all move on.

Atleast we can admit one thing, fat scott needs to be fired. He has disgraced this franchise with his lack of depth, bad drafts, and awful coaching decisions.

And it all started with paying that bum Cassel.
    Last edited by MyManHali; 12-04-2012 at 04:11 PM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast