Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Priest Holmes to practice with Chiefs; might play Sunday

Default Priest Holmes to practice with Chiefs; might play Sunday

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Running back Priest Holmes will practice Wednesday for the first time since a severe 2005 head and neck injury, and Chiefs coach Herm Edwards says there's a chance Holmes could play Sunday at Oakland.
    The Chiefs traded backup running back Michael Bennett to Tampa Bay for draft picks on Tuesday, creating a hole behind starter Larry Johnson and speculation that the Chiefs might activate Holmes in time for Sunday's game against the Raiders.
    Holmes "will put the pads on. He will put the helmet on. Whether he participates in the (Oakland) game or not, we'll see how practice goes," Edwards said.
    Holmes sustained neck and spinal injuries in a game at San Diego on Oct. 30, 2005, when he was hit by Shawne Merriman. He was placed on the physically unable to perform list and stayed there until he showed up at training camp in River Falls, Wis., claiming that he'd seen himself playing football in a dream.
    The three-time Pro Bowler, who turned 34 this month, appears to have lost about 10 pounds since July and looks fit.
    Holmes is eligible to come off the inactive list this week, and the Chiefs have 21 days beginning Wednesday to either activate Holmes, place him on the injured reserve list or waive him.
    Chiefs president Carl Peterson said he expects Holmes to be activated sooner rather than later.
    "My sense right now is that he will be ready to go," Peterson said. "I've said a thousand times, those people who question Priest Holmes are very foolish. Throughout his entire career, he's always come back. When he called me last spring shortly before training camp and told me he would like to do this one more time, I felt that I owed him that opportunity."
    When Holmes was healthy he was one of the most productive running backs in the NFL. He owns 18 Chiefs single-game and career records, including career marks for rushing yards (5,933), total touchdowns (83) and rushing touchdowns (76).
    Edwards said it won't be long before he knows whether Holmes is ready.
    "If he can go out there and practice pretty well, and feels OK after practice, that's good for us and for him. We'll know this week," Edwards said. "It's been three months. Either he's ready to go or he's not. Another week won't make much of a difference. He's prepared. He's been mentally into it. He's working his tail off.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...s-return_N.htm

WHOOOHOOO!!!!
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

I'm so excited! Welcome back, Priest! WOOOOT!
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

I just hope he can stay healthy...scary the idea of someone trying to come back from this type of injury.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Ya know... I have heard some comments about how goofy it is to come back because of a dream. The fact is that when you are injured beyond the ability to play, it is difficult, maybe impossible, to envision playing. I remember having a broken ankle, and I couldn't do it. I would try to envision it, but it was ... fake. It wasn't the same. My mind was all-too-well aware of the injured foot. To this day, I can't get a real vision of performing a solid "move" off of that foot.

I think that having a dream about it falls into that catergory. If your mind has moved past the injury, them perhaps the body is ready.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Ya know... I have heard some comments about how goofy it is to come back because of a dream. The fact is that when you are injured beyond the ability to play, it is difficult, maybe impossible, to envision playing. I remember having a broken ankle, and I couldn't do it. I would try to envision it, but it was ... fake. It wasn't the same. My mind was all-too-well aware of the injured foot. To this day, I can't get a real vision of performing a solid "move" off of that foot.

I think that having a dream about it falls into that catergory. If your mind has moved past the injury, them perhaps the body is ready.
    Very insightful, and pretty deep for you!

I agree with you though. If you can meld body and mind you are able to accomplish much more.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    Very insightful, and pretty deep for you!

I agree with you though. If you can meld body and mind you are able to accomplish much more.

I try not to bring my personal affairs to the site, but it just dawned on me, that to this day, eventhough I feel zero pain in the ankle, my subconscious knows that the durability isn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I try not to bring my personal affairs to the site, but it just dawned on me, that to this day, eventhough I feel zero pain in the ankle, my subconscious knows that the durability isn't there.

All part of being a scholar/athlete.

Some folks are just blessed with bizarre natural ability and are able to parlay that into a successful sports career (LJ).

Others are not that gifted and need to work for it constantly and use their brains to gain an advantage (PH).

The true athlete can combine these things and be a Zen master of his body, mind, and profession (Joe Montana).

That is all.

All part of being a scholar/athlete.

Some folks are just blessed with bizarre natural ability and are able to parlay that into a successful sports career (LJ).

Others are not that gifted and need to work for it constantly and use their brains to gain an advantage (PH).

The true athlete can combine these things and be a Zen master of his body, mind, and profession (Barry Sanders).

That is all.
    FYP Chiefster
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
    FYP Chiefster
    haha

haha
    I just thought it would make more sense to compare PH and LJ to a RB rather than a QB.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast