Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I was wrong about the 2012 Chiefs

Default I was wrong about the 2012 Chiefs

I will be the first to admit that I was WAY wrong about this years Chiefs team. And when I say WAY WAY wrong I am probably still underestimating it. After the preseason game against Arizona I thought this team could be a Super Bowl contender. Now they are the odds on favorite to receive the #1 pick in the draft.

I felt strongly that last year's 7-9 team that missed the playoffs because of a blocked FG would be much better this year. A 7-9 team that featured 3 different QB's including Tyler Palko. A team that lost its defensive spark plug safety, Eric Berry. A team that would be getting back Jamaal Charles and finally have a legit NT would be MUCH better.

I couldn't have been more wrong. I freely admit I made a major oversight. So what changed, what oversight did I make?

In my opinion, I overestimated the importance of a good coaching staff. We have the same players, in my opinion, an even stronger roster. Yet last weekend we didn't score a single point against the worst defense in the National Football League.

This train wreck of a team falls squarely at Romeo Crennel's feet. He and his coaching staff are what changed.

You can blame Pioli for firing Todd Haley, although most were OK with his release. You can blame Pioli for the hiring of Romeo Crennel, though most people on this board wanted Crennel hired.

Fact of the matter is that looking in the rear view mirror neither decision worked out. But this team has a great collection of talent. And that is also partly the work of Pioli. Pioli took a flyer on Cassel after his strong season in New England. I can go back and find plenty of threads and posts that convey the excitement a chiefs fans shared when that trade went down. In fact half the league was crying foul because teams felt the Chiefs didn't give up enough in the trade. Remember that!?!? I do.

The trade didn't work out in the long run. Pioli has swung and missed multiple times but at least he takes a swing. We needed a RT, he signed the best free agent tackle in the market in Eric Winston. We needed a legit nose tackle. We now have one in Dontari Poe. I could go on, but he has brought in some quality players.

I was wrong about this team because I was wrong about Romeo Crennel. I now know he is not a head coach. And my guess is that Scott Pioli knows that as well. If Crennel is allowed to stay another season, then I think Scott should be fired alongside Romeo. But I can't imagine that Scott doesn't make a change if he's allowed to stay for one more season.

IF we get the right coach and an above average QB, then this team will be right back in the thick of things in the AFC West in my opinion.

But what the hell do I know, I thought this 2012 team would be a contender.

Whole post is spot on.

I was listening to a segment with Kent Babb yesterday where he stated something along the lines of... When the entire deck is stacked against Romeo and there should be a 0% of success he has some way of motivating his players to win, like the GB game last year and the Panthers game this season, but on a week to week basis he is absolutely terrible.

Id agree there is something about the guy, it's a shame he couldn't figure it out consistently. It should be interesting to see how this all works itself out in a couple weeks.

Sad but True!

I was with you!

Well you were not the only one! I thought we would be fighting for the playoffs and a playoff win. I just have no idea why the wheels fell off so bad, I can not believe the team is THIS BAD. It looks like the players don't even try some times.

The coaching is terrible to have the best WR not even active on game day and the play calling I think HS coaches could call better games. Why didn't the QB roll out last week with all the pressure coming? Why don't the use play action pass?

So many questions and I am afraid that it could take several years to get things turned around just like when King Carl and Herm left I though the same but not we have gone 4 years and fell right back to the bottom again. I am getting tired of starting all over again and again.

You were no more wrong than many here Coach. Although I wasn't overjoyed at the prospect of having Romeo Crennel at head coach I was right there with you believing that we were going to have a good year this year.

You're not alone Coach! Most of us expected great things this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    You were no more wrong than many here Coach. Although I wasn't overjoyed at the prospect of having Romeo Crennel at head coach I was right there with you believing that we were going to have a good year this year.
    +1. Up until last season, felt like the team was making strides and at least moving forward. Haley getting fired, and Romeo promoted...There were still lots of NFL people saying KC was on it's way back.

It's been a cruddy season, to say the least. It's time to just move forward. Cannot imagine Pioli or Crennel being around past Monday afternoon after the season's end.

Great Post.

Yea, we were all wrong...

I was wrong too. I predicted them to go 5-11 when the schedule was announced. Man, I was too optimistic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast