Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A different defense ?

Hybrid View

Thumbs up A different defense ?

I was thinking about this. If they draft Lotulelei or Jones from Georgia they could change from the 3-4 easy , could even still use it at times.
    With Lotulelei they could possibly have very solid standard 4-3 line. w/ him and Powe they would plug and push the middle W/ DJ behind them to clean up , using Poe at end w/ Hali and Houston on the outside gives options on blitzes.
    Jones would make them really versatile , something like the old blitzburgh style w/ the end and backer swapping on some plays.
    What does the Crowd think about these possible moves for the defense ? I know it does nothing for the offense but at least in my mind we could at least be in games instead of being down by 17 or more all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by swochief View Post
    I was thinking about this. If they draft Lotulelei or Jones from Georgia they could change from the 3-4 easy , could even still use it at times.
    With Lotulelei they could possibly have very solid standard 4-3 line. w/ him and Powe they would plug and push the middle W/ DJ behind them to clean up , using Poe at end w/ Hali and Houston on the outside gives options on blitzes.
    Jones would make them really versatile , something like the old blitzburgh style w/ the end and backer swapping on some plays.
    What does the Crowd think about these possible moves for the defense ? I know it does nothing for the offense but at least in my mind we could at least be in games instead of being down by 17 or more all the time.
    interesting

Any idea where the draft projections have them going at? I like the sound of that.

a new GM would hire a new coach, he will institute what ever D he wants. switching to a 4-3 D may not be out of the ?. right now most of the AFC east has already switched over, pats, bills, fins, jets. seems to be a switchback from the 3-4 as offenses have adapted to it. i do think we are more talent suited to a 4-3 anyway.
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

LE
    DT
    DT
    RE

OLB
    MLB
    OLB

with our current roster, who goes where?

Houston and Hali are boarderline pro bowl caliber OLB in the 3-4. Move them to a 4-3 and you risk them ending slightly above average DE. Derrick Johnson was considered a bit of a disappointment until the Chiefs moved to a 3-4 where he's excelled. Also, both Star and Powe are projected to be better off at NT in a 3-4 defense. In the end at least 5 of your front 7 would be players best suited for a 3-4 defense. We're best off drafting Star Lotulelei and moving Powe to DE.

Hali, poe, lotu, ?
    ?, dj, houston

Or

Hali, poe, powe, ?
    Dj teo, houston

WHo knows if moving Houston would be anything other than a disapointment, the OLB in a 3-4 and a 4-3 completely dif

We do not have the personnel to move to a 4-3, and we arent one player away.

Based on who is currently on our roster, here is where people would fall in:

LE - ?
    DT - Dorsey, Jackson, Powe
    DT - Poe, Pitoitua
    RE - Hali

OLB - Houston ?
    ILB - DJ
    OLB - ?

I dont think Houston has the size/strength to line up at LE and be expected to take on Tackles and TEs in the run game. He would have to bulk up in the offseason. I also dont know if he has the ability to play OLB in a 4-3. He has never played that position in college or the NFL.

Hali would have to bulk back up to play DE again (remember he used to be a DE before the Haley era. He lost some weight to play OLB). He was good at it before, so I think he would be fine in that position again.

DJ had one off/on season at ILB in a 4-3 with Herm. But he was very inconsistent. He has blossomed in the 3-4 because his biggest weakness has always been shedding blocks. The 3-4 is intended to use the 3 DL to free the LBs up so they dont have to take on blocks from OL.

All the guys listed at DT would be probably be good at those positions. Dorsey would probably be a better 4-3 DT than a 3-4 End. TJ would probably be the odd man out. Im sorry, but I dont think Poe has the ability to play end in a 4-3. He could play end in a 3-4 with his athleticism, but in a 4-3 you need to be able to beat an OT around the outside (like Hali, Houston and Jared Allen used to do). Poe doesnt have the speed to do that. He would probably be somewhat like Suh at DT in a 4-3.

If we made the switch, we would have to train Houston to a new position. Hali and Houston would have to change their workout regimen. We would be a DE and OLB short of a full front 7.

Drafting Star Lotulelei would not help us as we are pretty well stacked with decent quality at DT. If we were to make the switch and draft someone, it would be the DE/OLB that is projected to go in the top 5 (cant think of his name at this time). We would also need to get a veteran LB to help fill out the LB corps and help train the other LBs.

Personally, I hope we stick to the 3-4. Our defense is playing decently. I honestly think our only weakness on D is the lack of discipline (see coaching staff for responsibility). The technique and instincts are there (thanks to the position coaches), but the discipline and game plan are lacking (which is the job of the D. Coordinator/Head Coach).

If we arent going QB in the first round, I would rather see us get a CB to help us defend against Peyton Manning than to revamp the front 7.

Whatever happens, I will support, but changing systems would result in a long term rebuild, not being competitive now.

I think the 4-3 suits this cast of players better than a 3-4, but I think switching schemes is a poor idea. Keep the 3-4. This draft should concentrate on the defensive secondary, LB depth, and maybe another WR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast