Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pioli and crennel gone

Default pioli and crennel gone

Here's how the real NFL works when it comes to GMs, Coaches, Assistants, Coordinators and the personnel men, scouts: November and December are hustle months meaning they are getting their name on the street and talking with guys affiliated with teams. It's been so widespread for so long, its par for the course. For example, a scout looking to move up will reach out to teams in mid November in hopes of getting a gig right at the end of a season. These are guys looking to move up or find security because they know a change in "leadership" is forthcoming.

So how does Pioli get lumped into this?

Let's triple flashback to the day LaCanfora reported that Pioli had a new extension. Turns out it was never signed but damage was done.

Let's double flashback to Pioli's interview tour. It was done without Clark's blessing. It was done to make Scott seem to be personable, dedicated and focused. All traits that a new employer wants to see during the time of "crisis". Face it, this season has been a massive crisis. Scott wants to demonstrate he can handle himself. So he did what he thought was a good thing.

Clark was pissed. He was in Chicago having a conversation with a well-to-do ex Chiefs coach who has enjoyed a storied head coaching career in a town that rhymes with Hittsburg and is now on TV.

Clark returns to KC, strips Pioli of all GM power. Silences him. Crennel is given control over the roster. Out goes Rhoutt.

Let's flashback to November 10. Reports surfaced that Schottenheimer was at 1 Arrowhead to meet Clark Hunt, who flew in his private jet and landed downtown that morning. Clark was in KC. Pioli wasn't. A Chiefs employee called a national sports radio show to report this. The Chiefs went into full damage control.

Where was Scott? In Providence. The picture we tweeted out was taken on November 11 at a hotel in Providence. During this time, he met with representatives from the Titans to discuss a potential role with the team with player personnel. Pioli has circulated his name to a few teams, including the Patriots. The picture was taken around the lunch hour. The Boston College/Notre Dame was an 8pm kickoff that night. Doesn't matter if Scott is employed with us or not, he's going to scout players so he knows whats going on in case another team falls for his **** again.

Pioli flys to Pittsburgh for the MNF game.

Clark Hunt flys to Pittsburgh for the game. Stays behind and has breakfast with one of the ESPN announcers who did the game the night before. Chuck is his name, I think.

Then comes the really odd thing: After the Bengals game, Clark and Scott had a long meeting at Arrowhead. I got a text that night saying both were still in the stadium past 7pm. I didn't think anything of it. Then I get a message from a well placed source that Scott took the entire week of Thanksgiving off, arriving back into town the night before the Broncos game. Sorry, but NFL GMs don't take that kind of time off during the season.

This week Scott was in Dallas to meet with Clark. This is the kiss of death. No different than when Carl was let go. Flying commercial to Dallas mid-week in December when there is no league business meetings scheduled, no college games to scout or anything else is a tell-tale sign.

Notice that TV cameras have not shown Scott in the last 2 weeks? Or mentioned his name? Remember when CBS started talking about the blackout in the 4th quarter after word broke via Twitter that stadium security was confiscating our FIRE PIOLI signs and kicking people out of Arrowhead? Nothing in the NFL is done in the NFL by a whim. Nothing.

So I mentioned Crennel and a buyout. The guy is just flat out exhausted. I'm hearing some health issues are popping up but Clark is sympathetic to what is going on with Romeo and what he's been through. Basically, for pension purposes (even at vested status), Romeo still needs credit for a full 16-game schedule. This is the deal worked out. It's respectable. And the Chiefs want that #1 pick.

BTW, I am hearing the only reason that Clark refuses to make an in-season change now is that he doesn't want the players to get excited or pumped up for the new guy. Ray Farmer was slated to be the interim GM if Clark ever pulled the trigger. Clark really wants to give that new GM and Coach a #1 pick and let them decide to take a QB, trade down or do whatever.

It is important to end this post with one simple statement: In the NFL the real moves occur ahead of the announced moves. Call it a game of shadows if you will. Some of the well placed media guys have an understanding not to report on certain things. Me, I could give a **** less. I'm a Chiefs fan, not a card-carrying member of the media.

I would like it if crennel was retained as defensive coordinator but I know the new gm and head coach will want their type of guys.

You must read Chiefs Planet. Exact same post was on there.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

And I still think the ink on the deal is dry. Marty Shottenheimer coming in for GM, Brian Shottenheimer as head coach.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Thank you for sharing. I hope your right.

I'm not in on the Schottenheimers as GM/HC. And then we need to get a good OC in here who we can keep as OC for at least a few years. Constantly changing OC is bad for any team (except maybe the Pats) we need some stability in our team after what we've been thru. Please bring in Polian!!
    Doing my best to keep my sons memory alive!!!

The Darkside of Bill Polian
    NATHAN BRAMWELL 1 day ago

Last week, I offered up my opinion on who I think the Chiefs should take with their first round pick, Matt Barkley. I got some positive responses, and I got some negative responses. I clearly expect that to happen again with this post, especially after the editor of Arrowhead Addict, Patrick Allen, wrote about the rumors that have been cycling around about the possibility of former Bills, Jaguars and Colts General Manager, Bill Polian, being a likely candidate to land in Kansas City if current Chiefs GM, Scott Pioli, is let go after the season.

This is what Allen wrote about the possibility: “Hiring Polian would be a brilliant move by Hunt. He’d be getting an experienced executive and personnel man but at the same time, he’d be getting the younger Chris Polian as well. Polian senior was 69 when the Colts fired him in January. He likely won’t be with the Chiefs for long but he certainly could stick around long enough to get the franchise back on track.”

The responses in the comments section were mostly positive to this idea, as I figured they would be. When first considering GM candidates this season when it became clear this whole Scott Pioli thing wasn’t working out, Bill Polian was one of the first guys that came to my mind. After all, he’s taken two different teams to five combined Super Bowls, winning one. He’s won multiple Executive of the Year Awards, and it’s hard to deny the sustained success he was able to achieve with each team he managed.

Then I started to remember some rumblings coming out of Indianapolis when Polian, and his son Chris, the GM, were fired. While many other fans of many other teams seemed shocked that Polian would be fired because of one bad season missing his star quarterback and after maintaining such a high level of success over the years in Indy, I remember Colts fans not being that shocked. In fact, many of them, if my memory served me correctly, were ecstatic that Polian was gone. After spending a few minutes on Google, I found articles supporting my memory.

The first article I found was from the Colts’ SB Nation Blog, Stampede Blue, and titled: The Polian Reign of Terror Ends. As the article goes:

“I couldn’t get out of my head the unbelievable culture of fear that the insecure, violently paranoid Polians used to keep control of the organization. And I won’t lie. I’m glad Polian and his equally odious son were fired.
    Not reassigned. Not ‘allowed to resign.’ Fired.

It was a fitting end to two people who simply lacked the ability to treat others decently and respectfully, especially if those others worked under them…

… I don’t wish plague or ruin on the Polian household, but I am glad that their silly little game of playing dictator is now out of Indianapolis.”

Those are some pretty strong sentiments. And the blogger is not alone. Here is another story, this one from the IndyStar, which documents some of Polian’s dictator habits including arrogance, openly ignoring employees, a God-complex, and overall douchebaggery. And yes, I know what you’re thinking: that sounds like Scott Pioli.
    And this is exactly why the Chiefs and Clark Hunt should stay as far away from Polian as they possibly can. Just because we’ve become accustomed to one dictator is no reason why we should hire another one. Think of this as GMs think of coaching changes. When one coach is fired, the most common thing to do is hire another head coach with a near opposite personality/coaching style as the one just let go. Think Herm Edwards to Todd Haley and then Todd Haley to Romeo Crennel. Call it an over-correction, but this is just something teams and management tends to do.

I don’t know about you guys, but I’m tired of the whole dictator thing in Kansas City, and that sound like exactly what the Chiefs would be getting. True, what Patrick Allen wrote earlier highlighted Polian’s positives, and admittedly there are many. And I will also admit that winning hides the flaws that losing brings to the surface. But I don’t know if I can support another General Manager/whatever Bill would be that would cause anymore anxiety at Arrowhead.

Been there, done that.

Quote Originally Posted by #58ChiefsFan View Post
    The Darkside of Bill Polian
    NATHAN BRAMWELL 1 day ago

Last week, I offered up my opinion on who I think the Chiefs should take with their first round pick, Matt Barkley. I got some positive responses, and I got some negative responses. I clearly expect that to happen again with this post, especially after the editor of Arrowhead Addict, Patrick Allen, wrote about the rumors that have been cycling around about the possibility of former Bills, Jaguars and Colts General Manager, Bill Polian, being a likely candidate to land in Kansas City if current Chiefs GM, Scott Pioli, is let go after the season.

This is what Allen wrote about the possibility: “Hiring Polian would be a brilliant move by Hunt. He’d be getting an experienced executive and personnel man but at the same time, he’d be getting the younger Chris Polian as well. Polian senior was 69 when the Colts fired him in January. He likely won’t be with the Chiefs for long but he certainly could stick around long enough to get the franchise back on track.”

The responses in the comments section were mostly positive to this idea, as I figured they would be. When first considering GM candidates this season when it became clear this whole Scott Pioli thing wasn’t working out, Bill Polian was one of the first guys that came to my mind. After all, he’s taken two different teams to five combined Super Bowls, winning one. He’s won multiple Executive of the Year Awards, and it’s hard to deny the sustained success he was able to achieve with each team he managed.

Then I started to remember some rumblings coming out of Indianapolis when Polian, and his son Chris, the GM, were fired. While many other fans of many other teams seemed shocked that Polian would be fired because of one bad season missing his star quarterback and after maintaining such a high level of success over the years in Indy, I remember Colts fans not being that shocked. In fact, many of them, if my memory served me correctly, were ecstatic that Polian was gone. After spending a few minutes on Google, I found articles supporting my memory.

The first article I found was from the Colts’ SB Nation Blog, Stampede Blue, and titled: The Polian Reign of Terror Ends. As the article goes:

“I couldn’t get out of my head the unbelievable culture of fear that the insecure, violently paranoid Polians used to keep control of the organization. And I won’t lie. I’m glad Polian and his equally odious son were fired.
    Not reassigned. Not ‘allowed to resign.’ Fired.

It was a fitting end to two people who simply lacked the ability to treat others decently and respectfully, especially if those others worked under them…

… I don’t wish plague or ruin on the Polian household, but I am glad that their silly little game of playing dictator is now out of Indianapolis.”

Those are some pretty strong sentiments. And the blogger is not alone. Here is another story, this one from the IndyStar, which documents some of Polian’s dictator habits including arrogance, openly ignoring employees, a God-complex, and overall douchebaggery. And yes, I know what you’re thinking: that sounds like Scott Pioli.
    And this is exactly why the Chiefs and Clark Hunt should stay as far away from Polian as they possibly can. Just because we’ve become accustomed to one dictator is no reason why we should hire another one. Think of this as GMs think of coaching changes. When one coach is fired, the most common thing to do is hire another head coach with a near opposite personality/coaching style as the one just let go. Think Herm Edwards to Todd Haley and then Todd Haley to Romeo Crennel. Call it an over-correction, but this is just something teams and management tends to do.

I don’t know about you guys, but I’m tired of the whole dictator thing in Kansas City, and that sound like exactly what the Chiefs would be getting. True, what Patrick Allen wrote earlier highlighted Polian’s positives, and admittedly there are many. And I will also admit that winning hides the flaws that losing brings to the surface. But I don’t know if I can support another General Manager/whatever Bill would be that would cause anymore anxiety at Arrowhead.

Been there, done that.
    Well all I can say is he is proven, and a good evaluator of nfl talent. If it takes a bit of a dictator to bring this franchise back on track, then I'm in. I'm not saying I wouldn't accept someone else, but I think Polian can get us back to being a respectable football team. What other GMs are looking for jobs that are proven? If there's some other good options I'd be interested.
    Doing my best to keep my sons memory alive!!!

I would love to see Schott back in KC as GM. Anyone remember who Cowher coached under? Brian Schott as OC. So, who would be DC? How 'bout this name: Kevin Greene. Spent the last 4 seasons as a LBs coach for Green Bay and I think he has some connections to Bill Cowher ; )

This may be a pipe dream cast, but I think the pieces fit. I don't think Schott necessarily WANTS the GM position. I think he's more comfortable in a "consulting" role rather than being "the guy" running the franchise. Give him the title, and allow him to "consult" while handing the personnel decisions to Cowher who says he won't coach again unless he's given the reins.

I'm not crazy about Brian as the OC because the Jets offense is miserable, but Sanchez is a crappy QB, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    I would love to see Schott back in KC as GM. Anyone remember who Cowher coached under? Brian Schott as OC. So, who would be DC? How 'bout this name: Kevin Greene. Spent the last 4 seasons as a LBs coach for Green Bay and I think he has some connections to Bill Cowher ; )

This may be a pipe dream cast, but I think the pieces fit. I don't think Schott necessarily WANTS the GM position. I think he's more comfortable in a "consulting" role rather than being "the guy" running the franchise. Give him the title, and allow him to "consult" while handing the personnel decisions to Cowher who says he won't coach again unless he's given the reins.

I'm not crazy about Brian as the OC because the Jets offense is miserable, but Sanchez is a crappy QB, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
    I thought tony sparano is the OC in New York and Brian's in STL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast