Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 326

Thread: QBs in the Draft & the Teams Who Want Them

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,753
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 51

    Default QBs in the Draft & the Teams Who Want Them


    0 Not allowed!
    This is not the 2012 draft which was chalk full of good QB prospects. No, this is 2013 with one of the weakest QB draft classes in recent memory. Wouldn't you know it... our beloved Chiefs will probably have the #1 pick. But of course they do. This is a franchise that rarely drafts QBs (ESPECIALLY in the first round) and when they do, the picks never turn out the way we hoped. So, naturally, when the Chiefs find themselves in the coveted #1 position to take a franchise QB, there isn't an overwhelmingly easy pick to make.

    So, what are the options?

    This list is my own opinion of who will be in the draft and who should be considered in the first 2 rounds. They are also ranked from greatest to least according to my own opinion and NOT necessarily the order in which they'll be drafted.

    Tyler Wilson, 6'3 220lb. Arkansas

    "Skill-Set Summary: Wilson has the look of an NFL quarterback. He stands tall in the pocket and reads defenses well. The decision-making he displayed as a junior was very impressive.

    Wilson has a strong arm and is an accurate passer. He showed the ability last season to push the ball outside the numbers and move the ball down the field with precision passes. With his size, arm and intellect, the Arkansas signal-caller will most likely be viewed as a possible safe pick to scouts.

    While Wilson is a pocket passer, he is not a complete statue. He can move around to buy himself time and take advantage of openings with his legs. It is clear that Wilson is not a running quarterback who will rack up big rushing totals. However, he has enough athleticism to keep a defense honest and avoid some sacks with his legs."

    -Charlie Wilson- WalterFootball.com


    I think Tyler Wilson should be the QB the Chiefs target. He is the closest thing to a prototypical QB as there is in this draft. His senior season didn't live up to expectations, but with all the drama surrounding Petrino in the offseason, it's at least understandable. That being said, it wasn't like he was horrible either. His rating only dropped from 148 to 143 and threw 6 more picks (probably a result from trying to do too much to help his team during a transitional season). He has a career completion percentage better than 60% and is usually sitting in the 63-65% range.

    Here is an article by bleacherreport.com suggesting Wilson could be the steal of the draft: Arkansas Football: Why Tyler Wilson Will Be the Steal of the 2013 NFL Draft | Bleacher Report

    NFLsfuture.com thinks his name will be called sometime around picks 10-15 and also have a good scouting report here: Tyler Wilson Scouting Report

    The report isn't necessarily what you'd want from your QBOTF, but remember, there isn't an Andrew Luck in this draft.


    Mike Glennon, 6'7 235lb. North Carolina St.

    His size says Joe Flacco. His strengths say Phillip Rivers with a better motion and stronger arm. His ceiling is probably Matt Shaub. Mel Kiper thinks he could be first off the board if his development progresses well between now and the draft. There's definitely something to take note of with this guy. Glennon has put up monster numbers in a mediocre program at NCSt. Personally, I don't think he's as sure of a bet as Wilson who was successful in the SEC, but I do think he's a better bet than Geno Smith.

    Here's the best scouting report I found: Can Mike Glennon be a first rounder? | Inside The War Room | Mock Drafts & Scouting Reports


    Aaron Murray 6'1, 211lbs. Georgia (Junior)

    No guarantee he's coming out, but if someone gets in his ear and tells him he could be the first QB off the board in a weak QB class, he could declare. I think Murray has just as good of a chance being the first QB taken as anyone else in the '13 draft. Draws comparisons to Drew Brees and with QB size becoming less and less of a factor. He's 6'1, which isn't Doug Flutie short, but it's not Joe Flacco either. Murray has been a starter since he was a redshirt freshman. There's not REAL flaw to his mechanics, foot work, or mobility. Makes good reads with a high completion percentage. He can obviously lead his team to winning seasons. Looks like a winner with no real reason to believe his game wouldn't translate to the next level.

    Scouting report: Aaron Murray 2013 NFL Draft mini scouting report - National NFL Draft | Examiner.com


    Geno Smith 6'3, 220lbs. West Virginia

    Now, we get to Geno Smith. The consensus "top QB" in the draft if you just pay attention to mock drafts. If Smith had finished the season the way he started, I'd probably be all about drafting him. However, I have a tough time trusting any players from the Virginia area. They always seem to come out with immense talent, but don't have the maturity or the smarts to stay out of trouble. I worry about the attitude and culture from that talent base which seems to have be a "me first" kind of attitude. His performance in Austin left a bad taste in my mouth after he was talking trash with fans and UT recruits as the game was being played.

    Looking at his season as a whole, it seems like he got a taste of success during the early part of the season and let it get to his head, which then affected the rest of his year. I've seen Smith and Wilson play about the same amount over the last couple years. I saw Wilson more last year and Smith a bit more this season. I think the total package that Wilson presents is much better overall than the athletic ability offered by a Geno Smith selection. I wonder if some of the scouting done on Smith isn't the mind playing tricks on people. There seems to be this thought pattern that Geno Smith is this year's RGIII... and he's not. Smith is not a Vick/RGIII type QB. He's mobile, but not a home run hitter. Think of him as a Steve Young type when it comes to mobility.

    Overall, I think Geno Smith is NOT a player worth the #1 overall selection. I worry about his game translating because even though some reports say he can make all the throws, I haven't seen what I'd want out of my franchise QB when it comes to the intermediate routes. Smith in the first round would be a bigger gamble, in my opinion, than Dontari Poe was at #13. I honestly think someone is going to get burned with this guy because of the RGIII comparisons and people expecting Smith to be a different player than what he actually is.

    Scouting Report: Geno Smith Scouting Report


    Matt Barkley 6'2, 220, USC

    What ever happened to Matt Barkley? The next great hype out of USC.

    "Skill-Set Summary: Barkley is an extremely well-developed passer with good anticipation and field vision. He is a smart quarterback who is adept at reading defenses and knowing where to go with the ball. Barkley has been prepared well for the NFL as he has operates a pro-style West Coast offense under Lane Kiffin.

    Barkley is not a complete statue in the pocket, but he is not a running quarterback who brings a running threat to the table. Barkley has a quality arm, but it doesn't look like as if he has an elite cannon for an arm.

    Barkley has excellent intangibles. He is a team leader and a studious, hard worker. Outside of football Barkley does a lot of charity work. He hasn't had any public trouble and looks like an ideal face of the franchise for an NFL team."

    -Charlie Wilson- WalterFootball.com

    Matt Barkley, in my mind, is the enigma of the 2013 draft. What is he? Is he an elite, franchise-shouldering QB, or is he a flame out like multiple other USC QBs around the league? Barkley is the ultimate boom or bust QB prospect. I'd like to believe he could be the steal of the draft if he's taken in the 2nd round. If Barkley had lived up to his potential in 2012, he'd be the easy #1 pick in the draft. But, he didn't live up to expectations and on top of that, he was injured and missed the last few games of the season. So now, evaluators have to make a decision on whether to draft Barkley based on potential or results. Unlike some of the other QBs in this draft, Barkley has had pro-quality players around him and hasn't been able to do much with it.

    Scouting Report: WalterFootball.com: 2013 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Matt Barkley


    Ryan Nassib 6'2 220lbs. Syracuse

    Ryan Nassib could be this draft's Aaron Rogers/Matt Flynn. He'll probably be a 2nd round pick that a team could draft and develop... into an elite QB. I wouldn't be shocked to see him go late in the first or late in the 2nd where he could step into a solid backup role behind a well-established starter like Matt Shaub or Matt Ryan. There's very little to like about this QB other than his height... which really isn't that bad. Anything negative you can say about this QB is just nit-picking. If the Chiefs are serious about addressing the QB position, would it be absolutely horrible to see them take 2 QBs in the first 2 rounds? In my mind, it would at least let us know that they are serious about correcting the problem. You could do worse than Matt Cassel showing these kids how to be a professional QB. I think Cassel is going to be a great QB coach/OC someday... if not head coach.

    Scouting Report: TheFootballExpert.com Ryan Nassib, QB, Syracuse


    Tyler Bray is another name that could pop up as the offseason grinds on, but I think he's more of a draft and develop type player. Some people are thinking that with his size, he could be the next Peyton Manning but I just don't see it right now. Manning would've been the #1 overall pick if he had come out a year earlier... Bray isn't in the conversation right now.

    E.J. Manuel is another name you will hear but even with all of his great physical attributes, he makes worse decisions than JaMarcus Russell. I don't think he's ready to contribute right away and that's what the Chiefs are looking for. E.J. Manuel is another draft and develop type player. He's at least 3-5 years away.



    We have 5 MAYBE 6 guys who are going to be the topic of conversation when we discuss the QBs in this draft. Now, as we sit here on the 23rd of December, where are these 6 guys projected to be taken in the draft? My 5 favorite mock drafts are, Walterfootball.com, CBS.com, Drafttek.com, Draftcountdown.com, and footballsfuture.com. Below, I've ranked the QBs in order according to their current mock selected average among these 5 mock drafts.

    1. Geno Smith- 3
    2. Tyler Wilson- 18
    3. Matt Barkley- 19
    4. Mike Glennon- 41
    5. Ryan Nassib- 44
    6. Aaron Murray- NR (hasn't declared)

    I think you will see the draft positions all get smaller as we approach the draft, but I expect the QBs to be taken off the board in that order with Mike Glennon perhaps jumping Barkley and Murray jumping Nassib if he chooses to declare. I anticipate a QB to be taken in the top 3. Odds are that it'll be Smith. This may give the Chiefs an opportunity to trade down and accumulate more picks if someone really wants to jump up and snag Smith ahead of Jacksonville or perhaps trade up for Te'o, Jarvis Jones, or someone else. The cost of acquiring the #1 pick overall is steep and will only net the Chiefs a swap of firsts, a 2nd and probably another later pick if not more, so it's gonna be a pretty BIG deal if the Chiefs are able to move out of that #1 pick.

    Which teams in the draft need a QB upgrade?

    1. Kansas City
    2. Jacksonville
    7. Arizona
    10. Buffalo
    12. Cleveland
    15. New York Jets

    Amazing, right? All 6 teams in the bottom half of the league... shocking.

    If the Chiefs want Tyler Wilson but not at #1 overall, they probably can't trade down any further than #6 with Tennessee because Arizona needs a QB desperately, as does Jacksonville. The question is going to be who do the Chiefs value more going forward as their franchise QB and where do they think they can get him? Could the Chiefs draft the best player available at #1 overall and land their guy with #33? Or, are the Chiefs going to have to take their QB #1 overall? Perhaps they get a chance to trade down and take their QB later in the top 10. There are a few different scenarios that could play out, but these are the guys they have to evaluate and decide on. The free agent market doesn't have an answer and there aren't too many backup QBs worth trading for. But, the teams listed above are the ones the Chiefs are going to have to deal with if they're going to land a new face of the franchise.

    Hopefully, the Chiefs can find a way to maximize their value while landing the guy they want instead of what has happened the last few drafts where Pioli absolutely didn't care about value as long as he filled a hole in his mind.
    Last edited by Coach; 12-30-2012 at 10:41 PM.

  2. #281
    Member Since
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Neosho, Mo.
    Posts
    310
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Geno smith not playing did a great job at not hurting his stock now all hes gotta do is knock his pro day and combine out of the ball park, well played geno still wish he played at the senior bowl

  3. #282
    Member Since
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    14,082
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 27

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    I think this Senior Bowl has just proven that there just isn't a QB worth taking #1 overall. Although, if I were basing my opinion solely on this game, E.J. Manuel should be the consensus #1 overall. lol I think I'd be ok with Manuel in the 3rd. He's elusive enough to play the position and looks pretty accurate. Drawing comparisons to Kaepernick.

    Kind of reminded me today of a bigger Donovan McNabb.
    I went back and watched the Tyler Wilson possessions today in the Senior Bowl. I thought he played very well. Most of his passes were the kind that Andy Reid uses in his offense. Tyler finished 7 for 8 i believe. His only incompletion was an underthrown deep ball. I think he has plenty of arm to throw a deep ball though. If that ball is caught, he literally would have had a perfect performance. His delivery is a little odd, but he throws a tight spiral with velocity.

    I'm in the QB with the #1 pick camp. So far, I'm leaning towards Tyler Wilson based on what I'm reading and seeing. I understand that we don't get great draft value by taking a QB #1 overall. But in my opinion, getting the best QB in this year's draft will help us win more game over the next 5 years, than using the #1 pick to replace an already talented Branden Albert. Especially when we have Donald Stephenson to back him up if Albert does have issues.

    In my opinion, you give Albert the 1 year franchise tag. That way if he does have injuries the Chiefs won't be on the hook. Try to sign Bowe to a 3 or 4 yr deal. Let Dorsey walk.

    If the Chiefs have Tyler Wilson on the roster next year, they win more games. If they have a new LT, and a mish mash of QB's leading this team, we won't be much better.

    This article sums up my thoughts on this situation:
    http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/1...son-tamba-hali
    Last edited by Coach; 01-27-2013 at 10:04 AM.


  4. #283
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,753
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 51

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    There is not a QB who stands head and shoulders above the other top 2 or 3 in this class. I think they're all about even. I'd prefer Wilson or Barkley over Smith, not because of talent necessarily, but because they're more of a proven commodity. 75% of our total draft value lies in that #1 pick. That pick should be spent on the player that represents the least possible risk... not a QB who's going to be a HUGE gamble, regardless of his name. Taking the consensus 15th best player in the draft is not smart. Our pick should be a player ranked in the top 5 overall in his class.

    If it's a QB this club wants, this year's option should be to try and trade down and collect more picks and then pick the player they're targeting. If we were talking about an Andrew Luck, Manning, or even Rivers type talent, I'd be all-in for a QB at #1. That player simply doesn't exist.

    This draft is like passing on Derrick Thomas or Willie Roaf to see if Matt Flynn, Jimmy Clausen, Kevin Kolb, or Drew Stanton could maybe, perhaps, if given enough time, in the right circumstances, and in the right system, MIGHT be able to get this team to the playoffs and if he's really good, to perhaps even a Super Bowl. If any of the QBs in this class had come out last season as seniors, none of them would have been taken in the first round... so, what makes them worthy this year? The fact that Andrew Luck, RGIII, and Weeden aren't available?

    Admittedly, I'd take any of the top 3 in the 2013 class before I'd take Weeden, but they're definitely not worth #1 overall. I still think the best move the Chiefs could make would be to trade their 3rd round pick for Nick Foles. He's only been in the league one season, wouldn't be considered a "re-tread," and he's proven to be successful in Andy Reid's offense. He doesn't fit Chip Kelly's offense and would present a valuable trade piece for a team who will also want more draft picks to help with their rebuild.

    Nick Foles at #1 overall would be a better pick than any other QB. Nick Foles for a 2nd or 3rd round pick would be an extremely efficient way to fill the QB position without risking enormous value in the process.

    Think about this, we can either risk a 3rd rounder worth 265 pts or 2nd rounder worth 580 pts on Nick Foles, or we can risk 3000 points on a rookie QB. I'm sorry, but I just don't see a QB in this class that is worth risking 2400 points MORE than what it could cost the Chiefs to land Nick Foles. I also don't necessarily see a QB in this class who represents a higher upside than Nick Foles in Andy Reid's system.

    A proven commodity for 580pts or an enormous risk for 3000pts?

  5. #284
    Member Since
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Columbia
    Posts
    847
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 16

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I went back and watched the Tyler Wilson possessions today in the Senior Bowl. I thought he played very well. Most of his passes were the kind that Andy Reid uses in his offense. Tyler finished 7 for 8 i believe. His only incompletion was an underthrown deep ball. I think he has plenty of arm to throw a deep ball though. If that ball is caught, he literally would have had a perfect performance. His delivery is a little odd, but he throws a tight spiral with velocity.

    I'm in the QB with the #1 pick camp. So far, I'm leaning towards Tyler Wilson based on what I'm reading and seeing. I understand that we don't get great draft value by taking a QB #1 overall. But in my opinion, getting the best QB in this year's draft will help us win more game over the next 5 years, than using the #1 pick to replace an already talented Branden Albert. Especially when we have Donald Stephenson to back him up if Albert does have issues.

    In my opinion, you give Albert the 1 year franchise tag. That way if he does have injuries the Chiefs won't be on the hook. Try to sign Bowe to a 3 or 4 yr deal. Let Dorsey walk.

    If the Chiefs have Tyler Wilson on the roster next year, they win more games. If they have a new LT, and a mish mash of QB's leading this team, we won't be much better.

    This article sums up my thoughts on this situation:
    Building on the foundation with the Kansas City Chiefs - Arrowhead Pride

    I agree on a couple of things here.

    I hope our first pick is a QB. Without a better qb we will have the same problem we had in 2012. I first choice would be to trade down a little and grab another pick or two. But qb is by far our biggest need, therefore it does not make any sense to beef up other positions and not the qb.

    I'm with you as well on Albert, lots here dont like him but hes done a good if not great job, and to draft Joeckel would not make any sense, as we would not have improved the team, other than making them younger . This would really be a waste in my opinion.

    Most ppl have Luke Joeckel being the best player in the draft, but its far from our greatest need.

  6. #285
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,753
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 51

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 70 chiefsfan70 View Post
    I agree on a couple of things here.

    I hope our first pick is a QB. Without a better qb we will have the same problem we had in 2012. I first choice would be to trade down a little and grab another pick or two. But qb is by far our biggest need, therefore it does not make any sense to beef up other positions and not the qb.

    I'm with you as well on Albert, lots here dont like him but hes done a good if not great job, and to draft Joeckel would not make any sense, as we would not have improved the team, other than making them younger . This would really be a waste in my opinion.

    Most ppl have Luke Joeckel being the best player in the draft, but its far from our greatest need.
    Assuming we don't re-sign Branden Albert. Remember, we can only franchise one player and I just can't see Andy Reid allowing a WR of Bowe's caliber to walk when a LT of Joekel's caliber is available to him at a much cheaper price than Albert. The business doesn't make sense. Keeping expensive players like Bowe AND Albert and then risking 3/4 of your draft value on a QB in this draft class are just absolutely HORRIBLE business practices and the exact kind of things that have killed this franchise in the past.

  7. #286
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lewisville, TX (Dallas)
    Posts
    1,192
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 22

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    If we do not upgrade our QB in this year's draft or if draft one first and he does not work out we will be in the same condition next year and/or two as this year, with this year's draft a waste again because of reaching for a player again.

    Let's stop reaching and maybe we can get this franchise turned around. I sure hope we can find a QB better than what we have somewhere (through trades or draft) is all I can say.

  8. #287
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,753
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 51

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post
    If we do not upgrade our QB in this year's draft or if draft one first and he does not work out we will be in the same condition next year and/or two as this year, with this year's draft a waste again because of reaching for a player again.

    Let's stop reaching and maybe we can get this franchise turned around. I sure hope we can find a QB better than what we have somewhere (through trades or draft) is all I can say.
    If we take a QB at #1 overall, we won't be in the same position because just like Pioli, this administration won't pull the plug on "their guy" and admit a mistake after one year. It will take at least 4 years for them to decide to find another QB.

  9. #288
    Member Since
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    14,082
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 27

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    There is not a QB who stands head and shoulders above the other top 2 or 3 in this class. I think they're all about even. I'd prefer Wilson or Barkley over Smith, not because of talent necessarily, but because they're more of a proven commodity. 75% of our total draft value lies in that #1 pick. That pick should be spent on the player that represents the least possible risk... not a QB who's going to be a HUGE gamble, regardless of his name. Taking the consensus 15th best player in the draft is not smart. Our pick should be a player ranked in the top 5 overall in his class.

    If it's a QB this club wants, this year's option should be to try and trade down and collect more picks and then pick the player they're targeting. If we were talking about an Andrew Luck, Manning, or even Rivers type talent, I'd be all-in for a QB at #1. That player simply doesn't exist.

    This draft is like passing on Derrick Thomas or Willie Roaf to see if Matt Flynn, Jimmy Clausen, Kevin Kolb, or Drew Stanton could maybe, perhaps, if given enough time, in the right circumstances, and in the right system, MIGHT be able to get this team to the playoffs and if he's really good, to perhaps even a Super Bowl. If any of the QBs in this class had come out last season as seniors, none of them would have been taken in the first round... so, what makes them worthy this year? The fact that Andrew Luck, RGIII, and Weeden aren't available?

    Admittedly, I'd take any of the top 3 in the 2013 class before I'd take Weeden, but they're definitely not worth #1 overall. I still think the best move the Chiefs could make would be to trade their 3rd round pick for Nick Foles. He's only been in the league one season, wouldn't be considered a "re-tread," and he's proven to be successful in Andy Reid's offense. He doesn't fit Chip Kelly's offense and would present a valuable trade piece for a team who will also want more draft picks to help with their rebuild.

    Nick Foles at #1 overall would be a better pick than any other QB. Nick Foles for a 2nd or 3rd round pick would be an extremely efficient way to fill the QB position without risking enormous value in the process.

    Think about this, we can either risk a 3rd rounder worth 265 pts or 2nd rounder worth 580 pts on Nick Foles, or we can risk 3000 points on a rookie QB. I'm sorry, but I just don't see a QB in this class that is worth risking 2400 points MORE than what it could cost the Chiefs to land Nick Foles. I also don't necessarily see a QB in this class who represents a higher upside than Nick Foles in Andy Reid's system.

    A proven commodity for 580pts or an enormous risk for 3000pts?
    All of that makes perfect sense, but you are making one big assumption. You are assuming that the "other" player we draft is guaranteed to be a top 5 talent. Since you are a Chiefs fan, I'm sure you know that is just not the case.(Dorsey,Jackson).

    In my opinion, its nearly impossible to tell how a draft class should be ranked until they've played in the NFL for a few years. Who is to say that "sure thing" DT isn't a bust, and the iffy "QB" isn't the next Tom Brady. And you can't just simply draft the best player available without considering need. Just ask Lions fans. They drafted top sure thing WR's every year when they sucked and that set them back at least 5 years.

    My point is there is no sure thing in the draft. We have a chance to get the best player in the draft at our biggest position of need. I agree, about going after Nick Foles or Matt Flynn, or Matt Moore. But let's face it, none of those guys are sure thing QBOTF either. I'd much rather have too much talent on the bench at QB, than too much talent on the bench at DT or CB.

    You can't win in this league without a good QB, but plenty of teams win without good defensive players. QB is the most important position on the field, let's get the best one this class has to offer. And if we whiff, you draft another next year.

    Draft at least 1 QB, sign at least one free agent QB, and trade for a QB. This roster has none right now, so we need at least 3. May the best man win the job.


  10. #289
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,753
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 51

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    All of that makes perfect sense, but you are making one big assumption. You are assuming that the "other" player we draft is guaranteed to be a top 5 talent. Since you are a Chiefs fan, I'm sure you know that is just not the case.(Dorsey,Jackson).

    Dorsey WOULD have been worth the pick if the Chiefs had continue to run a 4-3. If he was allowed to be Warren Sapp, he very well could've been. I'm scared to see what he'll do when he goes to a 4-3 defense next season. Jackson was never considered a top 5 talent. We had a dumb GM who took him at #3. He shouldn't have ever been expected to produce like a top 3 pick... that's just unfair to the player.

    In my opinion, its nearly impossible to tell how a draft class should be ranked until they've played in the NFL for a few years. Who is to say that "sure thing" DT isn't a bust, and the iffy "QB" isn't the next Tom Brady. And you can't just simply draft the best player available without considering need. Just ask Lions fans. They drafted top sure thing WR's every year when they sucked and that set them back at least 5 years.

    Two words: Matt Millan

    My point is there is no sure thing in the draft. We have a chance to get the best player in the draft at our biggest position of need. I agree, about going after Nick Foles or Matt Flynn, or Matt Moore. But let's face it, none of those guys are sure thing QBOTF either. I'd much rather have too much talent on the bench at QB, than too much talent on the bench at DT or CB.

    You can't win in this league with a good QB, but plenty of teams win without good defensive players. QB is the most important position on the field, let's get the best one this class has to offer. And if we whiff, you draft another next year.

    That won't happen. We saw what front offices do when their QBOTF fails first hand with Pioli. It took firing his butt to get upgrading the QB a topic of conversation. If their guy fails, it won't be because he was bad after one season. It will be because he couldn't handle the position after given the chance to perform over MULTIPLE seasons. Quite frankly, it wouldn't be fair to judge a starting rookie QB after one season and we all know that.

    Draft at least 1 QB, sign at least one free agent QB, and trade for a QB. This roster has none right now, so we need at least 3. May the best man win the job.
    I'd be happy if the Chiefs got a QB each of those ways... I just HATE the idea of taking one of the available QBs #1 overall in the draft. Spending 3000 of 4000 available points on one of these QBs just screams Ryan Sims or at best Tyson Jackson to me... and I don't think we can expect much more relative positional value from any of these QBs if they're taken #1 overall. If we took Wilson or Smith #1 overall, I honestly think we'd get Tyson Jackson value at the most important position on the field. The prospect of getting the Tyson Jackson of QBs just doesn't appeal to me for 3/4 of our draft value and 4-6 Million of our cap space.

    You know me, I scream about draft value every year and this year is no exception. There just isn't a QB worth 3000 points in this draft.

  11. #290
    Member Since
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,482
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 369
    Given: 74

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post
    If we do not upgrade our QB in this year's draft or if draft one first and he does not work out we will be in the same condition next year and/or two as this year, with this year's draft a waste again because of reaching for a player again.

    Let's stop reaching and maybe we can get this franchise turned around. I sure hope we can find a QB better than what we have somewhere (through trades or draft) is all I can say.
    If we don't upgrade the QB spot in the draft we will be better off then reaching for a QB just to draft a QB because we need a QB. If we don't go Qb this year and stick with Cassel or Quinn and Reid can't get anything out of them then what we have seen then we will be MUCH more likely to go for a QB somehow someway next year. That can't be said if we reach for a QB just because we need a QB and that QB isn't right. That's why I have been so against just drafting a QB. IT will set us back LONGER then sticking with Cassel for anther year. We have to make sure we get the right QB if we are going to draft a QB. If a QB that's going to take us somewhere we want to go isn't there then we would be better off not drafting any QB. We have the best pick in the whole draft. When that happens you have to get it right. You have to do your homework.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •