Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: QBs in the Draft & the Teams Who Want Them

Default QBs in the Draft & the Teams Who Want Them

This is not the 2012 draft which was chalk full of good QB prospects. No, this is 2013 with one of the weakest QB draft classes in recent memory. Wouldn't you know it... our beloved Chiefs will probably have the #1 pick. But of course they do. This is a franchise that rarely drafts QBs (ESPECIALLY in the first round) and when they do, the picks never turn out the way we hoped. So, naturally, when the Chiefs find themselves in the coveted #1 position to take a franchise QB, there isn't an overwhelmingly easy pick to make.

So, what are the options?

This list is my own opinion of who will be in the draft and who should be considered in the first 2 rounds. They are also ranked from greatest to least according to my own opinion and NOT necessarily the order in which they'll be drafted.

Tyler Wilson, 6'3 220lb. Arkansas

"Skill-Set Summary: Wilson has the look of an NFL quarterback. He stands tall in the pocket and reads defenses well. The decision-making he displayed as a junior was very impressive.

Wilson has a strong arm and is an accurate passer. He showed the ability last season to push the ball outside the numbers and move the ball down the field with precision passes. With his size, arm and intellect, the Arkansas signal-caller will most likely be viewed as a possible safe pick to scouts.

While Wilson is a pocket passer, he is not a complete statue. He can move around to buy himself time and take advantage of openings with his legs. It is clear that Wilson is not a running quarterback who will rack up big rushing totals. However, he has enough athleticism to keep a defense honest and avoid some sacks with his legs."

-Charlie Wilson- WalterFootball.com

I think Tyler Wilson should be the QB the Chiefs target. He is the closest thing to a prototypical QB as there is in this draft. His senior season didn't live up to expectations, but with all the drama surrounding Petrino in the offseason, it's at least understandable. That being said, it wasn't like he was horrible either. His rating only dropped from 148 to 143 and threw 6 more picks (probably a result from trying to do too much to help his team during a transitional season). He has a career completion percentage better than 60% and is usually sitting in the 63-65% range.

Here is an article by bleacherreport.com suggesting Wilson could be the steal of the draft: Arkansas Football: Why Tyler Wilson Will Be the Steal of the 2013 NFL Draft | Bleacher Report

NFLsfuture.com thinks his name will be called sometime around picks 10-15 and also have a good scouting report here: Tyler Wilson Scouting Report

The report isn't necessarily what you'd want from your QBOTF, but remember, there isn't an Andrew Luck in this draft.

Mike Glennon, 6'7 235lb. North Carolina St.

His size says Joe Flacco. His strengths say Phillip Rivers with a better motion and stronger arm. His ceiling is probably Matt Shaub. Mel Kiper thinks he could be first off the board if his development progresses well between now and the draft. There's definitely something to take note of with this guy. Glennon has put up monster numbers in a mediocre program at NCSt. Personally, I don't think he's as sure of a bet as Wilson who was successful in the SEC, but I do think he's a better bet than Geno Smith.

Here's the best scouting report I found: Can Mike Glennon be a first rounder? | Inside The War Room | Mock Drafts & Scouting Reports

Aaron Murray 6'1, 211lbs. Georgia (Junior)

No guarantee he's coming out, but if someone gets in his ear and tells him he could be the first QB off the board in a weak QB class, he could declare. I think Murray has just as good of a chance being the first QB taken as anyone else in the '13 draft. Draws comparisons to Drew Brees and with QB size becoming less and less of a factor. He's 6'1, which isn't Doug Flutie short, but it's not Joe Flacco either. Murray has been a starter since he was a redshirt freshman. There's not REAL flaw to his mechanics, foot work, or mobility. Makes good reads with a high completion percentage. He can obviously lead his team to winning seasons. Looks like a winner with no real reason to believe his game wouldn't translate to the next level.

Scouting report: Aaron Murray 2013 NFL Draft mini scouting report - National NFL Draft | Examiner.com

Geno Smith 6'3, 220lbs. West Virginia

Now, we get to Geno Smith. The consensus "top QB" in the draft if you just pay attention to mock drafts. If Smith had finished the season the way he started, I'd probably be all about drafting him. However, I have a tough time trusting any players from the Virginia area. They always seem to come out with immense talent, but don't have the maturity or the smarts to stay out of trouble. I worry about the attitude and culture from that talent base which seems to have be a "me first" kind of attitude. His performance in Austin left a bad taste in my mouth after he was talking trash with fans and UT recruits as the game was being played.

Looking at his season as a whole, it seems like he got a taste of success during the early part of the season and let it get to his head, which then affected the rest of his year. I've seen Smith and Wilson play about the same amount over the last couple years. I saw Wilson more last year and Smith a bit more this season. I think the total package that Wilson presents is much better overall than the athletic ability offered by a Geno Smith selection. I wonder if some of the scouting done on Smith isn't the mind playing tricks on people. There seems to be this thought pattern that Geno Smith is this year's RGIII... and he's not. Smith is not a Vick/RGIII type QB. He's mobile, but not a home run hitter. Think of him as a Steve Young type when it comes to mobility.

Overall, I think Geno Smith is NOT a player worth the #1 overall selection. I worry about his game translating because even though some reports say he can make all the throws, I haven't seen what I'd want out of my franchise QB when it comes to the intermediate routes. Smith in the first round would be a bigger gamble, in my opinion, than Dontari Poe was at #13. I honestly think someone is going to get burned with this guy because of the RGIII comparisons and people expecting Smith to be a different player than what he actually is.

Scouting Report: Geno Smith Scouting Report

Matt Barkley 6'2, 220, USC

What ever happened to Matt Barkley? The next great hype out of USC.

"Skill-Set Summary: Barkley is an extremely well-developed passer with good anticipation and field vision. He is a smart quarterback who is adept at reading defenses and knowing where to go with the ball. Barkley has been prepared well for the NFL as he has operates a pro-style West Coast offense under Lane Kiffin.

Barkley is not a complete statue in the pocket, but he is not a running quarterback who brings a running threat to the table. Barkley has a quality arm, but it doesn't look like as if he has an elite cannon for an arm.

Barkley has excellent intangibles. He is a team leader and a studious, hard worker. Outside of football Barkley does a lot of charity work. He hasn't had any public trouble and looks like an ideal face of the franchise for an NFL team."

-Charlie Wilson- WalterFootball.com

Matt Barkley, in my mind, is the enigma of the 2013 draft. What is he? Is he an elite, franchise-shouldering QB, or is he a flame out like multiple other USC QBs around the league? Barkley is the ultimate boom or bust QB prospect. I'd like to believe he could be the steal of the draft if he's taken in the 2nd round. If Barkley had lived up to his potential in 2012, he'd be the easy #1 pick in the draft. But, he didn't live up to expectations and on top of that, he was injured and missed the last few games of the season. So now, evaluators have to make a decision on whether to draft Barkley based on potential or results. Unlike some of the other QBs in this draft, Barkley has had pro-quality players around him and hasn't been able to do much with it.

Scouting Report: WalterFootball.com: 2013 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Matt Barkley

Ryan Nassib 6'2 220lbs. Syracuse

Ryan Nassib could be this draft's Aaron Rogers/Matt Flynn. He'll probably be a 2nd round pick that a team could draft and develop... into an elite QB. I wouldn't be shocked to see him go late in the first or late in the 2nd where he could step into a solid backup role behind a well-established starter like Matt Shaub or Matt Ryan. There's very little to like about this QB other than his height... which really isn't that bad. Anything negative you can say about this QB is just nit-picking. If the Chiefs are serious about addressing the QB position, would it be absolutely horrible to see them take 2 QBs in the first 2 rounds? In my mind, it would at least let us know that they are serious about correcting the problem. You could do worse than Matt Cassel showing these kids how to be a professional QB. I think Cassel is going to be a great QB coach/OC someday... if not head coach.

Scouting Report: TheFootballExpert.com » Ryan Nassib, QB, Syracuse

Tyler Bray is another name that could pop up as the offseason grinds on, but I think he's more of a draft and develop type player. Some people are thinking that with his size, he could be the next Peyton Manning but I just don't see it right now. Manning would've been the #1 overall pick if he had come out a year earlier... Bray isn't in the conversation right now.

E.J. Manuel is another name you will hear but even with all of his great physical attributes, he makes worse decisions than JaMarcus Russell. I don't think he's ready to contribute right away and that's what the Chiefs are looking for. E.J. Manuel is another draft and develop type player. He's at least 3-5 years away.

We have 5 MAYBE 6 guys who are going to be the topic of conversation when we discuss the QBs in this draft. Now, as we sit here on the 23rd of December, where are these 6 guys projected to be taken in the draft? My 5 favorite mock drafts are, Walterfootball.com, CBS.com, Drafttek.com, Draftcountdown.com, and footballsfuture.com. Below, I've ranked the QBs in order according to their current mock selected average among these 5 mock drafts.

1. Geno Smith- 3
    2. Tyler Wilson- 18
    3. Matt Barkley- 19
    4. Mike Glennon- 41
    5. Ryan Nassib- 44
    6. Aaron Murray- NR (hasn't declared)

I think you will see the draft positions all get smaller as we approach the draft, but I expect the QBs to be taken off the board in that order with Mike Glennon perhaps jumping Barkley and Murray jumping Nassib if he chooses to declare. I anticipate a QB to be taken in the top 3. Odds are that it'll be Smith. This may give the Chiefs an opportunity to trade down and accumulate more picks if someone really wants to jump up and snag Smith ahead of Jacksonville or perhaps trade up for Te'o, Jarvis Jones, or someone else. The cost of acquiring the #1 pick overall is steep and will only net the Chiefs a swap of firsts, a 2nd and probably another later pick if not more, so it's gonna be a pretty BIG deal if the Chiefs are able to move out of that #1 pick.

Which teams in the draft need a QB upgrade?

1. Kansas City
    2. Jacksonville
    7. Arizona
    10. Buffalo
    12. Cleveland
    15. New York Jets

Amazing, right? All 6 teams in the bottom half of the league... shocking.

If the Chiefs want Tyler Wilson but not at #1 overall, they probably can't trade down any further than #6 with Tennessee because Arizona needs a QB desperately, as does Jacksonville. The question is going to be who do the Chiefs value more going forward as their franchise QB and where do they think they can get him? Could the Chiefs draft the best player available at #1 overall and land their guy with #33? Or, are the Chiefs going to have to take their QB #1 overall? Perhaps they get a chance to trade down and take their QB later in the top 10. There are a few different scenarios that could play out, but these are the guys they have to evaluate and decide on. The free agent market doesn't have an answer and there aren't too many backup QBs worth trading for. But, the teams listed above are the ones the Chiefs are going to have to deal with if they're going to land a new face of the franchise.

Hopefully, the Chiefs can find a way to maximize their value while landing the guy they want instead of what has happened the last few drafts where Pioli absolutely didn't care about value as long as he filled a hole in his mind.
    Last edited by Coach; 12-30-2012 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    I'm sure those first 4 games were great indicators of how he'll do in the NFL. Teams like Marshall, James Madison, Maryland, and Baylor are well-known football juggernauts loaded with NFL players drafted in the first rounds on a perennial basis...
    Don't forget the highlight reel against the mighty Jayhawks and the power house cyclones of Iowa st.

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    Don't forget the highlight reel against the mighty Jayhawks and the power house cyclones of Iowa st.
    Wanna see those Oklahoma highlights again? Right here on ChiefsCrowd.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

ESPN INSIDER DRAFT PROFILES:

1 = EXCEPTIONAL 2 = ABOVE AVERAGE 3 = AVERAGE 4 = BELOW AVERAGE5 = MARGINAL

GENO SMITH 6'3, 210 Lbs

Overall Football Traits

Production 2

2009: (5/0) - 49-32-65.3-309-1-1; 2010: (13/13) - 372-241-64.8-2,763-24-7; 2011: (13/13) - 526-346-65.8-4,385-31-7

Height-Weight-Speed 2

Possesses prototypical height but can continue to add bulk. Estimated top-end speed is well above-average.

Durability 2

Battled through a foot injury during spring practice of 2010. However, has not missed playing time and has started in all 26 games the past two seasons.

Intangibles 2

An extremely confident competitor that flashes a bit of a gunslinger's mentality on tape. Weight room work ethic is adequate but can improve. Continuing to mature and develop into a solid leader. Displays ability to rise up and will his team to victory. Showed impressive poise to conduct 4th quarter comeback on the road against Cincinnati and South Florida in 2011. In particular showed great mental toughness against South Florida to bounce back and lead the Mountaineers to a game winning drive after throwing an interception for a touchdown early in the 4th quarter with a BCS birth on the line. Efficient in the red zone and held an 18 to 1 touchdown-to-interception ratio in 2011.

Quarterback Specific Traits

Mental Makeup 2

Plays in shotgun spread system and may need time to adjust to working under center and making pro-style reads. He is a cerebral quarterback with a stranglehold on the offense. Flashes ability to work from one side of the field to the other to get deep into his progressions. Flashes ability to anticipate and can release ball before targets are out of their breaks. Overall decision making is good but can continue to improve and can be guilty of being overconfident to attempt throws into coverage he should not make. Does a nice job of holding and manipulating coverage with his eyes. Very impressed with his poise and efficiency against pressure particularly against a highest level of competition (LSU 2011). Does not take many negative plays and is willing to throw the ball away to fight another down. Tough and will sit in and deliver an accurate throw while taking a hit.

Accuracy 3

Displays adequate overall accuracy but can continue to improve as a senior. Mechanics and footwork are solid. Usually throws with good balance. Very accurate in the short-to-intermediate range. Shows good placement and provides his receivers with the ability to create after the catch. Can make an accurate throw off balance and/or on the run to both sides. Also can thread the needle into tight downfield windows. A bit of fast ball thrower right now and can continue to develop touch, particularly with longer intermediate and deeps throws. Needs to learn to put more air under his deep ball and drop it down the chute to provide more room for error with receivers.

Release/Arm Strength 2

Displays a compact 3/4 release. Ball is clean coming off his hand with ample RPMs. Shows ability to change release points without sacrificing velocity or accuracy. Lower release point can give him problems with batted balls particularly when throwing shallow crossing or drag routes. Arm strength is notch below elite and can make all the NFL throws. Drives the ball downfield and gets plenty of zip behind deep out throw from the opposite hash.

Pocket Mobility 1

A gifted athlete with above-average mobility and foot quickness. Flashes ability to escape pressure, extend plays and pick up yards with his feet if need be. However, he is clearly a pocket passer first and shows good instincts and poise inside of the pocket. Does not panic when protection leaks and will use subtle movements inside of the pocket to buy time while keeping his eyes downfield. Also does a nice job of extending plays without crossing the line of scrimmage to allow his receivers time find the open areas when breaking contain.

Point Total 16

Tyler Wilson 6'2, 210 Lbs

Overall Football Traits

Production 1

2008: Medical redshirt; 2009: (5/0) - 22-36-61.1-218-2-2; 2010: (6/0) - 34-51-66.7-453-4-3; 2011: (13/13) - 277-438-63.2-3,638-24-6

Height-Weight-Speed 4

Shorter than ideal but not a red flag. Also needs to add some bulk to frame. Straight-line speed is below average for the position.

Durability 2

Lack of good size is concerning for next-level durability. But he's tough and proven capable of playing through pain. Started all 13 games in first year as fulltime starter (2011) in the SEC. Suffered an 'illness' that led to medical redshirt in 2008.

Intangibles 1

Team captain in 2011 and 2012. Good leadership skills. Very good football character and intelligence. Tireless worker in the film room. Brings a calming presence to the huddle. Son of Don and Suzy Wilson. Named to SEC Academic Honor Roll in fall of 2010. Majoring in recreation and sport management.

Mental Makeup 2

Poised quarterback with natural on-field leadership qualities. Very good under pressure. Mentally and physically tough. Hangs tough in pocket and will deliver the ball when he knows he's about to get ear-holed. Does not get visibly flustered from mistakes. Bounces back quickly and has necessary selective amnesia. Does not show up his teammates on the field. Has a very good understanding of progression reads. Plays in a pro-style system. Mostly in shotgun but does have experience under center and does a fine job of reading coverage while dropping. Looks off safeties and knows how to negotiate them to buy more time for WR. Needs to cut down on critical errors, though. Forces too many throws into coverage and needs to learn when to just eat the ball (classic ex: 1336 2nd QTR vs. S.C. 2011).

Accuracy 3

Shows consistent ability to make accurate throws off-platform. Tends to be more mechanically sound and accurate when rolling left than rolling right, but has better than average accuracy and zip when throwing on the run. Displays impressive accuracy and timing when throwing WRs open versus zone coverage. Also should be noted that he had entirely too many accurate throws dropped by WRs in 201. Above average accuracy overall but he does have some bad misses. Biggest issue is with inconsistent feet. He gets too loose with his footwork and throws off balance far too often, which leads to his erratic misses. More often than not he misses high. Will sail too many throws over the middle and down the field. Also not as natural as ideal on short throws requiring touch. Robs his WRs of some yards after catch by frequently missing within strike zone.

Release/Arm Strength 3

Would like to see him more consistently compact with delivery. He shows ability to snap release and get the ball out quickly. But he also has a lot of throws where he drops the all down and brings it up the back shaft in a windmill style delivery. His release also tends to change when throwing with linemen in front of his face. He gets under the ball and it comes out unnaturally high. Overall arm strength is adequate but not great. Shows above average zip on intermediate throw, especially over the middle and/or when he has a clear window. He can make all the necessary throws but certain throws need to be delivered with good timing to avoid problems. Does not get great RPMs on the ball. Ball frequently flutters.

Pocket Mobility 2

Underrated pocket mobility. Very functional scrambler. Feels the rush, has a good sense of where it's coming from and shows adequate quickness and athletic ability in eluding. Consistently buys extra time with feet and is comfortable adlibbing on the run. Can stop-and-pop quickly and accurately. Does occasionally bail too early but ineffective pass pro plays a big role. Would rather see him bail when mental clock timer goes off than be too comfortable holding onto the ball all day in the pocket. Only has decent top-end speed and not very elusive but is a competitive and tough runner. Needs to protect the ball better on the move, as well. Carries the ball low and/or away from frame too often (see: redzone lost fumble 14:11 2nd QTR vs. Mississippi State).

Point Total 19

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    Wanna see those Oklahoma highlights again? Right here on ChiefsCrowd.
    And who beat Oklahoma and held their rushing offense to 13 YARDS. Winner come up big when it counts followers go through the motions. So yes let's compare oklahomas overrated football team please.

I still prefer geno sorry. I feel geno will seperate himself in his pro work out and combine and interviews

Default Draft!

My humblest suggestions:

Coach: Andy Reid and all his coaching staff. Winning Coach

QB: Tebow or any of the 49rs, could be Colin Kaepernick or the main one, Alex Smith. I dont think the 49rs will keep both.

Draft: A good Wide Receiver.

This draft doesnt have good QB's. All of them have lack of leadership and others doesnt meet the age required to play NFL (under 21).

What you think?

No tebow no tebow no tebow, the only qb 49ers would part with is smith and no hes a game manager, reid posibly but not likely not entire staff, drafting a wr we did it was baldwin... Free agency is only way to find a wr we need to sign bowe

Reid's offenses never were very good running the ball so no to his staff , him maybe. I know this is a passing league now but we do still have Charles and some capable backups in Draugns and Grey. Chiefs are still gonna run the ball around 50% unless new coach trades 2 of those away for wrs.

No way on Tebow , not as a qb which is all he wants to be. Like the person , hate the qb.

Smith for competition and the #2 vet backup QB. Who knows he might just win the #1 , at least till the young gun is ready like Kaepernick. 49ers won't let that kid go now.
    Last edited by swochief; 12-31-2012 at 05:58 PM.

Admittingly, I did not read any of the posts above.

We should make a play for Cousins. He led his MSU team to some great battles and he has the brass and the leadership, by example, to bring KC back to promised land.

If we do not get him, someone will!!

PS- Aren't his intitials KC?? LOL

Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast