Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233 LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 326

Thread: QBs in the Draft & the Teams Who Want Them

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,753
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 51

    Default QBs in the Draft & the Teams Who Want Them


    0 Not allowed!
    This is not the 2012 draft which was chalk full of good QB prospects. No, this is 2013 with one of the weakest QB draft classes in recent memory. Wouldn't you know it... our beloved Chiefs will probably have the #1 pick. But of course they do. This is a franchise that rarely drafts QBs (ESPECIALLY in the first round) and when they do, the picks never turn out the way we hoped. So, naturally, when the Chiefs find themselves in the coveted #1 position to take a franchise QB, there isn't an overwhelmingly easy pick to make.

    So, what are the options?

    This list is my own opinion of who will be in the draft and who should be considered in the first 2 rounds. They are also ranked from greatest to least according to my own opinion and NOT necessarily the order in which they'll be drafted.

    Tyler Wilson, 6'3 220lb. Arkansas

    "Skill-Set Summary: Wilson has the look of an NFL quarterback. He stands tall in the pocket and reads defenses well. The decision-making he displayed as a junior was very impressive.

    Wilson has a strong arm and is an accurate passer. He showed the ability last season to push the ball outside the numbers and move the ball down the field with precision passes. With his size, arm and intellect, the Arkansas signal-caller will most likely be viewed as a possible safe pick to scouts.

    While Wilson is a pocket passer, he is not a complete statue. He can move around to buy himself time and take advantage of openings with his legs. It is clear that Wilson is not a running quarterback who will rack up big rushing totals. However, he has enough athleticism to keep a defense honest and avoid some sacks with his legs."

    -Charlie Wilson- WalterFootball.com


    I think Tyler Wilson should be the QB the Chiefs target. He is the closest thing to a prototypical QB as there is in this draft. His senior season didn't live up to expectations, but with all the drama surrounding Petrino in the offseason, it's at least understandable. That being said, it wasn't like he was horrible either. His rating only dropped from 148 to 143 and threw 6 more picks (probably a result from trying to do too much to help his team during a transitional season). He has a career completion percentage better than 60% and is usually sitting in the 63-65% range.

    Here is an article by bleacherreport.com suggesting Wilson could be the steal of the draft: Arkansas Football: Why Tyler Wilson Will Be the Steal of the 2013 NFL Draft | Bleacher Report

    NFLsfuture.com thinks his name will be called sometime around picks 10-15 and also have a good scouting report here: Tyler Wilson Scouting Report

    The report isn't necessarily what you'd want from your QBOTF, but remember, there isn't an Andrew Luck in this draft.


    Mike Glennon, 6'7 235lb. North Carolina St.

    His size says Joe Flacco. His strengths say Phillip Rivers with a better motion and stronger arm. His ceiling is probably Matt Shaub. Mel Kiper thinks he could be first off the board if his development progresses well between now and the draft. There's definitely something to take note of with this guy. Glennon has put up monster numbers in a mediocre program at NCSt. Personally, I don't think he's as sure of a bet as Wilson who was successful in the SEC, but I do think he's a better bet than Geno Smith.

    Here's the best scouting report I found: Can Mike Glennon be a first rounder? | Inside The War Room | Mock Drafts & Scouting Reports


    Aaron Murray 6'1, 211lbs. Georgia (Junior)

    No guarantee he's coming out, but if someone gets in his ear and tells him he could be the first QB off the board in a weak QB class, he could declare. I think Murray has just as good of a chance being the first QB taken as anyone else in the '13 draft. Draws comparisons to Drew Brees and with QB size becoming less and less of a factor. He's 6'1, which isn't Doug Flutie short, but it's not Joe Flacco either. Murray has been a starter since he was a redshirt freshman. There's not REAL flaw to his mechanics, foot work, or mobility. Makes good reads with a high completion percentage. He can obviously lead his team to winning seasons. Looks like a winner with no real reason to believe his game wouldn't translate to the next level.

    Scouting report: Aaron Murray 2013 NFL Draft mini scouting report - National NFL Draft | Examiner.com


    Geno Smith 6'3, 220lbs. West Virginia

    Now, we get to Geno Smith. The consensus "top QB" in the draft if you just pay attention to mock drafts. If Smith had finished the season the way he started, I'd probably be all about drafting him. However, I have a tough time trusting any players from the Virginia area. They always seem to come out with immense talent, but don't have the maturity or the smarts to stay out of trouble. I worry about the attitude and culture from that talent base which seems to have be a "me first" kind of attitude. His performance in Austin left a bad taste in my mouth after he was talking trash with fans and UT recruits as the game was being played.

    Looking at his season as a whole, it seems like he got a taste of success during the early part of the season and let it get to his head, which then affected the rest of his year. I've seen Smith and Wilson play about the same amount over the last couple years. I saw Wilson more last year and Smith a bit more this season. I think the total package that Wilson presents is much better overall than the athletic ability offered by a Geno Smith selection. I wonder if some of the scouting done on Smith isn't the mind playing tricks on people. There seems to be this thought pattern that Geno Smith is this year's RGIII... and he's not. Smith is not a Vick/RGIII type QB. He's mobile, but not a home run hitter. Think of him as a Steve Young type when it comes to mobility.

    Overall, I think Geno Smith is NOT a player worth the #1 overall selection. I worry about his game translating because even though some reports say he can make all the throws, I haven't seen what I'd want out of my franchise QB when it comes to the intermediate routes. Smith in the first round would be a bigger gamble, in my opinion, than Dontari Poe was at #13. I honestly think someone is going to get burned with this guy because of the RGIII comparisons and people expecting Smith to be a different player than what he actually is.

    Scouting Report: Geno Smith Scouting Report


    Matt Barkley 6'2, 220, USC

    What ever happened to Matt Barkley? The next great hype out of USC.

    "Skill-Set Summary: Barkley is an extremely well-developed passer with good anticipation and field vision. He is a smart quarterback who is adept at reading defenses and knowing where to go with the ball. Barkley has been prepared well for the NFL as he has operates a pro-style West Coast offense under Lane Kiffin.

    Barkley is not a complete statue in the pocket, but he is not a running quarterback who brings a running threat to the table. Barkley has a quality arm, but it doesn't look like as if he has an elite cannon for an arm.

    Barkley has excellent intangibles. He is a team leader and a studious, hard worker. Outside of football Barkley does a lot of charity work. He hasn't had any public trouble and looks like an ideal face of the franchise for an NFL team."

    -Charlie Wilson- WalterFootball.com

    Matt Barkley, in my mind, is the enigma of the 2013 draft. What is he? Is he an elite, franchise-shouldering QB, or is he a flame out like multiple other USC QBs around the league? Barkley is the ultimate boom or bust QB prospect. I'd like to believe he could be the steal of the draft if he's taken in the 2nd round. If Barkley had lived up to his potential in 2012, he'd be the easy #1 pick in the draft. But, he didn't live up to expectations and on top of that, he was injured and missed the last few games of the season. So now, evaluators have to make a decision on whether to draft Barkley based on potential or results. Unlike some of the other QBs in this draft, Barkley has had pro-quality players around him and hasn't been able to do much with it.

    Scouting Report: WalterFootball.com: 2013 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Matt Barkley


    Ryan Nassib 6'2 220lbs. Syracuse

    Ryan Nassib could be this draft's Aaron Rogers/Matt Flynn. He'll probably be a 2nd round pick that a team could draft and develop... into an elite QB. I wouldn't be shocked to see him go late in the first or late in the 2nd where he could step into a solid backup role behind a well-established starter like Matt Shaub or Matt Ryan. There's very little to like about this QB other than his height... which really isn't that bad. Anything negative you can say about this QB is just nit-picking. If the Chiefs are serious about addressing the QB position, would it be absolutely horrible to see them take 2 QBs in the first 2 rounds? In my mind, it would at least let us know that they are serious about correcting the problem. You could do worse than Matt Cassel showing these kids how to be a professional QB. I think Cassel is going to be a great QB coach/OC someday... if not head coach.

    Scouting Report: TheFootballExpert.com Ryan Nassib, QB, Syracuse


    Tyler Bray is another name that could pop up as the offseason grinds on, but I think he's more of a draft and develop type player. Some people are thinking that with his size, he could be the next Peyton Manning but I just don't see it right now. Manning would've been the #1 overall pick if he had come out a year earlier... Bray isn't in the conversation right now.

    E.J. Manuel is another name you will hear but even with all of his great physical attributes, he makes worse decisions than JaMarcus Russell. I don't think he's ready to contribute right away and that's what the Chiefs are looking for. E.J. Manuel is another draft and develop type player. He's at least 3-5 years away.



    We have 5 MAYBE 6 guys who are going to be the topic of conversation when we discuss the QBs in this draft. Now, as we sit here on the 23rd of December, where are these 6 guys projected to be taken in the draft? My 5 favorite mock drafts are, Walterfootball.com, CBS.com, Drafttek.com, Draftcountdown.com, and footballsfuture.com. Below, I've ranked the QBs in order according to their current mock selected average among these 5 mock drafts.

    1. Geno Smith- 3
    2. Tyler Wilson- 18
    3. Matt Barkley- 19
    4. Mike Glennon- 41
    5. Ryan Nassib- 44
    6. Aaron Murray- NR (hasn't declared)

    I think you will see the draft positions all get smaller as we approach the draft, but I expect the QBs to be taken off the board in that order with Mike Glennon perhaps jumping Barkley and Murray jumping Nassib if he chooses to declare. I anticipate a QB to be taken in the top 3. Odds are that it'll be Smith. This may give the Chiefs an opportunity to trade down and accumulate more picks if someone really wants to jump up and snag Smith ahead of Jacksonville or perhaps trade up for Te'o, Jarvis Jones, or someone else. The cost of acquiring the #1 pick overall is steep and will only net the Chiefs a swap of firsts, a 2nd and probably another later pick if not more, so it's gonna be a pretty BIG deal if the Chiefs are able to move out of that #1 pick.

    Which teams in the draft need a QB upgrade?

    1. Kansas City
    2. Jacksonville
    7. Arizona
    10. Buffalo
    12. Cleveland
    15. New York Jets

    Amazing, right? All 6 teams in the bottom half of the league... shocking.

    If the Chiefs want Tyler Wilson but not at #1 overall, they probably can't trade down any further than #6 with Tennessee because Arizona needs a QB desperately, as does Jacksonville. The question is going to be who do the Chiefs value more going forward as their franchise QB and where do they think they can get him? Could the Chiefs draft the best player available at #1 overall and land their guy with #33? Or, are the Chiefs going to have to take their QB #1 overall? Perhaps they get a chance to trade down and take their QB later in the top 10. There are a few different scenarios that could play out, but these are the guys they have to evaluate and decide on. The free agent market doesn't have an answer and there aren't too many backup QBs worth trading for. But, the teams listed above are the ones the Chiefs are going to have to deal with if they're going to land a new face of the franchise.

    Hopefully, the Chiefs can find a way to maximize their value while landing the guy they want instead of what has happened the last few drafts where Pioli absolutely didn't care about value as long as he filled a hole in his mind.
    Last edited by Coach; 12-30-2012 at 10:41 PM.

  2. #291
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,753
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 51

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    We have the best pick in the whole draft. When that happens you have to get it right. You have to do your homework.
    This is the crux of the whole situation. When we're picking in the top 5, (ESPECIALLY #1) we have to make sure we're taking THE GUY who will present the greatest upside for the longest period of time. We hear people say all the time that "drafting to fill a hole can get you in trouble." THIS is the scenario of which they speak. When you have to go down a list of at least 15 players to find the next player who fills your positional need, that's when there becomes a very serious issue.

    Again, when Derrick Thomas is on the board, you don't pass on him to take Matt Flynn because Flynn "fills a hole." I don't care WHO you have at OLB, when there's THAT big of a talent difference between the perceived BPA and the best QBA, you don't take the QB!

  3. #292
    Member Since
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Neosho, Mo.
    Posts
    310
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    We compairing flynn to possible best qb this year? Also not fair to evaluate anyone to a hof. No one is a sure thing this year. Jake long was ryan leaf was and look. Also no matter who we pick the risk will out weigh the reward lets do the scared thing again and draft another d tackel yea thats safe....

  4. #293
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,753
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 51

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    There's not nearly as much risk drafting a LT as there is a QB... it's not even close. Even a LT who busts can still contribute at a high level at another position at the very worst.

  5. #294
    Member Since
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    33
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Does anybody think Chiefs fans are concerned with the QB situation next year? Read the 30 pages of this thread and maybe you'll find out. Any chiefscrowd veterans know the record on longest thread?

    All this thread does for me is prove how incredibly inflated the value will be for all these iffy, questionable QBs in the draft. It's starting to scare me into thinking about offensive linemen and defensive ends. But this team NEEDS a QB. Is the 1st round really the place to find him?

  6. #295
    Member Since
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Columbia
    Posts
    847
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 16

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Supply and Demand creates the REAL value, nothing else.


    Supply is short, and the demand is high.
    Last edited by 70 chiefsfan70; 02-01-2013 at 03:45 PM.

  7. #296
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,753
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 51

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 70 chiefsfan70 View Post
    Supply and Demand creates the REAL value, nothing else.


    Supply is short, and the demand is high.

    Demand for the Andrew Lucks of the world is incredibly high, you are right. The demand for mediocre QBs or high-risk prospects is not quite so high and the supply is substantial. Geno Smith IS NOT an Andrew Luck type franchise shouldering QB. If the Chiefs want a mediocre to good QB, they can find one via trade, free agency, or in ANY of the QBs coming out in this draft.

    "Supply and demand" does not apply here because there is no supply of elite talent at the QB position. Either this franchise is going to be smart and acquire "good" talent at a reasonable cost, or they're going to continue down the same road they've been traveling over the last decade and roll the dice and reach on a high-risk player.

    Personally, I prefer a more logical approach to solving the problem at the most important position on the field.

  8. #297
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,529
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Demand for the Andrew Lucks of the world is incredibly high, you are right. The demand for mediocre QBs or high-risk prospects is not quite so high and the supply is substantial. Geno Smith IS NOT an Andrew Luck type franchise shouldering QB. If the Chiefs want a mediocre to good QB, they can find one via trade, free agency, or in ANY of the QBs coming out in this draft.

    "Supply and demand" does not apply here because there is no supply of elite talent at the QB position. Either this franchise is going to be smart and acquire "good" talent at a reasonable cost, or they're going to continue down the same road they've been traveling over the last decade and roll the dice and reach on a high-risk player.

    Personally, I prefer a more logical approach to solving the problem at the most important position on the field.

    yah mon!
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

  9. #298
    Member Since
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Columbia
    Posts
    847
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 16

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Demand for the Andrew Lucks of the world is incredibly high, you are right. The demand for mediocre QBs or high-risk prospects is not quite so high and the supply is substantial. Geno Smith IS NOT an Andrew Luck type franchise shouldering QB. If the Chiefs want a mediocre to good QB, they can find one via trade, free agency, or in ANY of the QBs coming out in this draft.

    "Supply and demand" does not apply here because there is no supply of elite talent at the QB position. Either this franchise is going to be smart and acquire "good" talent at a reasonable cost, or they're going to continue down the same road they've been traveling over the last decade and roll the dice and reach on a high-risk player.

    Personally, I prefer a more logical approach to solving the problem at the most important position on the field.
    If we did have Luck in this draft then I could see why you would want to talk about him, but the fact is he is not available and will not be an option therefore talking about him and comparing makes no sense what so ever.

    Bottom line is we need a QB and the best chance we have in getting a good one is though the draft. Some here think that Alex Smith is the answer, I personally dont think so. But of coarse we take a chance no matter who we get. Teams who draft there own qb do win more super bowls. I would rather get the same player later in the first round as well, but we are drafting first unless we work out a trade. The top 4 qb's will be gone by our 2nd round. And we need three. It would really suck if we lost out on all the top 4 qbs.

    With 6 probowlers it obvious we have lots of talent. we just need a good qb.

  10. #299
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,753
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 51

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 70 chiefsfan70 View Post
    If we did have Luck in this draft then I could see why you would want to talk about him, but the fact is he is not available and will not be an option therefore talking about him and comparing makes no sense what so ever.

    Bottom line is we need a QB and the best chance we have in getting a good one is though the draft. Some here think that Alex Smith is the answer, I personally dont think so. But of coarse we take a chance no matter who we get. Teams who draft there own qb do win more super bowls. I would rather get the same player later in the first round as well, but we are drafting first unless we work out a trade. The top 4 qb's will be gone by our 2nd round. And we need three. It would really suck if we lost out on all the top 4 qbs.

    With 6 probowlers it obvious we have lots of talent. we just need a good qb.
    I mention Andrew Luck because he is the most recent example of the what the gold standard of QBs drafted #1 overall should be. Fans like you seem to think that just because a QB is rated at the top of his position coming out of college that it means that player should be taken #1 overall... regardless of his rank relative to the rest of the players in the draft. This mindset is the equivalent to being willing to pay gold prices for silver... it doesn't make sense. As I mentioned above, the concept of "supply and demand" does not apply if there is no supply. It doesn't matter how much money you have, if there is no food, there is no food. You're not going to spend $50 on a cup of water because that's what you'd pay for a plate of food, would you? Same thing applies to the 2013 QB market. There isn't a franchise QB to be acquired in the draft, free agency, or via trade so why pay the steak premium if you're only going to get ground beef? The draft value of the #1 pick can be better utilized by taking THE BEST PLAYER or filling other holes on this team than spending just to spend. That's what we did with Tyson Jackson and that's why, even though he's a productive player, people still label him as a "bust." He's not a bust... he's producing at the level he should have been drafted. It was poor draft strategy that buried him under lofty expectations that he is unable to attain. That's not the player's fault. If he was drafted in the 2nd round, I think everyone would be happy with that pick. The same thing applies to Geno Smith. His ceiling is the production of a 2nd round QB... not the franchise saviour his advocates HOPE he could be.


    You act like the simple act of drafting a QB is the key to getting this team to the Super Bowl. There's a variable that you fail to include in your statement about Super Bowl teams drafting their own QBs... and that's the actual player being drafted. If you're talking about the Mannings, then yeah... your argument would hold water. However, there isn't a Manning QB to be taken in this draft. I know you can't possibly be including 5th round pick Tom Brady in your example because that was a fluke.

    Since '99 there have been 30 Super Bowl QB appearances. 12/30 were by QBs who were NOT drafted by the teams they went to the Super Bowl with. The other 18 appearances were shared between John Elway, Steve McNair, Tom Brady, Donovan McNabb, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Aaron Rogers, and Ben Roethlisberger. Even if you stretch a Geno Smith comparison to the max, he just might compare to McNair or McNabb who each only made one Super Bowl appearance and then lost. He definitely doesn't compare to any of the other names on that list... all of whom were drafted in the first round and only Elway, the Mannings, the McNabb were taken #1 overall. Please compare Geno Smith to John Elway and the Manning brothers to justify him at #1 overall.

    I'll tell you who he does compare more favorably with: David Carr, JaMarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Matt Leinart, and Rex Grossman. All these guys had some kind of questionable character issues or off the field drama before the draft. The way Geno talks about himself, he sure reminds me a LOT of Ryan Leaf. And those were just the 1st round busts... that's not including all the countless BIG 12 QBs taken in the draft after posting gaudy passing numbers in a spread offense or some other gimmick offense like Colt McCoy, Seneca Wallace, Michael Bishop, Josh Freeman, Chase Daniel, Blaine Gabbert, Graham Harrell, Kliff Kingsbury, Taylor Potts, Vince Young, Chris Simss, Reggie McNeal, Jerrod Johnson, Tommie Frazier, Eric Crouch, or even Sam Bradford. Hell, even take a look at RGIII. He couldn't last an entire season because of his style of play. Think he'll be as effective if upper management tells him to stay in the pocket and eat a sack every now and then? They're so worried about RGIII as their primary QB that they won't even entertain the idea of trading Cousins.

    The BIG 12 IS NOT where a team should go to find their franchise QB. The successes coming out of that conference over the last 30 years are few and far between... in fact, they're non-existent. If Sam Bradford or RGIII couldn't break the streak of poor QB play from the BIG 12, what makes you think Geno Smith is capable?

    Bottom line, drafting Geno Smith (or any available QB) #1 overall would be the equivalent of sh!tting away an entire draft's worth of draft picks on blind, illogical hope that the first 6 games of his 2012 season with dominant WRs against weak opponents is the REAL Geno Smith instead of the guy who lost 6 of his last 8 games (with his victories only coming against KU and Iowa St) and who was too afraid to go to the senior bowl... also hoping that Geno Smith will somehow be the first BIG 12 QB who can be COUNTED ON to shoulder the responsibility of being a successful franchise QB. This team would be hoping that the culture in the Virginia area which has produced the PacMan Jones' and Mike Vicks of the world has had no effect on his personality, that the gang signs and enormous self confidence mean nothing. You'd be hoping that the poor decision making that led to a pair of safeties in the Pinstripe Bowl were nothing more than a coincidence and the scouting reports of him not being efficient at progressions are dead wrong considering the offense he'd have to run here. As the Chiefs GM who is taking Geno Smith #1 overall, you would have to have seen more from Geno Smith than you saw from ANY of the past QBs taken AFTER the #1 overall pick to justify his selection at #1 overall.

    Geno Smith is THAT guy? Really?

  11. #300
    Member Since
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,480
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 369
    Given: 74

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 70 chiefsfan70 View Post
    If we did have Luck in this draft then I could see why you would want to talk about him, but the fact is he is not available and will not be an option therefore talking about him and comparing makes no sense what so ever.

    Bottom line is we need a QB and the best chance we have in getting a good one is though the draft. Some here think that Alex Smith is the answer, I personally dont think so. But of coarse we take a chance no matter who we get. Teams who draft there own qb do win more super bowls. I would rather get the same player later in the first round as well, but we are drafting first unless we work out a trade. The top 4 qb's will be gone by our 2nd round. And we need three. It would really suck if we lost out on all the top 4 qbs.

    With 6 probowlers it obvious we have lots of talent. we just need a good qb.
    Sorry but I got to throw the BS flag.

    When you're 2-14 you need far more then a QB we need a QB but we also need

    1. Cb Help BADLY
    2. WR help BADLY (guys tipping balls to defenders and dropping passes IS NOT the Qbs fault.)
    3. O LINE depth (gave up 10 sacks in 2 games near the end of the year not good at all)
    4. Someone not named Hail or Houston who can get after the QB

    ignoreing all those problems just to focus on the QB is STUPID

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •