Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: QBs in the Draft & the Teams Who Want Them

Default QBs in the Draft & the Teams Who Want Them

This is not the 2012 draft which was chalk full of good QB prospects. No, this is 2013 with one of the weakest QB draft classes in recent memory. Wouldn't you know it... our beloved Chiefs will probably have the #1 pick. But of course they do. This is a franchise that rarely drafts QBs (ESPECIALLY in the first round) and when they do, the picks never turn out the way we hoped. So, naturally, when the Chiefs find themselves in the coveted #1 position to take a franchise QB, there isn't an overwhelmingly easy pick to make.

So, what are the options?

This list is my own opinion of who will be in the draft and who should be considered in the first 2 rounds. They are also ranked from greatest to least according to my own opinion and NOT necessarily the order in which they'll be drafted.

Tyler Wilson, 6'3 220lb. Arkansas

"Skill-Set Summary: Wilson has the look of an NFL quarterback. He stands tall in the pocket and reads defenses well. The decision-making he displayed as a junior was very impressive.

Wilson has a strong arm and is an accurate passer. He showed the ability last season to push the ball outside the numbers and move the ball down the field with precision passes. With his size, arm and intellect, the Arkansas signal-caller will most likely be viewed as a possible safe pick to scouts.

While Wilson is a pocket passer, he is not a complete statue. He can move around to buy himself time and take advantage of openings with his legs. It is clear that Wilson is not a running quarterback who will rack up big rushing totals. However, he has enough athleticism to keep a defense honest and avoid some sacks with his legs."

-Charlie Wilson- WalterFootball.com

I think Tyler Wilson should be the QB the Chiefs target. He is the closest thing to a prototypical QB as there is in this draft. His senior season didn't live up to expectations, but with all the drama surrounding Petrino in the offseason, it's at least understandable. That being said, it wasn't like he was horrible either. His rating only dropped from 148 to 143 and threw 6 more picks (probably a result from trying to do too much to help his team during a transitional season). He has a career completion percentage better than 60% and is usually sitting in the 63-65% range.

Here is an article by bleacherreport.com suggesting Wilson could be the steal of the draft: Arkansas Football: Why Tyler Wilson Will Be the Steal of the 2013 NFL Draft | Bleacher Report

NFLsfuture.com thinks his name will be called sometime around picks 10-15 and also have a good scouting report here: Tyler Wilson Scouting Report

The report isn't necessarily what you'd want from your QBOTF, but remember, there isn't an Andrew Luck in this draft.

Mike Glennon, 6'7 235lb. North Carolina St.

His size says Joe Flacco. His strengths say Phillip Rivers with a better motion and stronger arm. His ceiling is probably Matt Shaub. Mel Kiper thinks he could be first off the board if his development progresses well between now and the draft. There's definitely something to take note of with this guy. Glennon has put up monster numbers in a mediocre program at NCSt. Personally, I don't think he's as sure of a bet as Wilson who was successful in the SEC, but I do think he's a better bet than Geno Smith.

Here's the best scouting report I found: Can Mike Glennon be a first rounder? | Inside The War Room | Mock Drafts & Scouting Reports

Aaron Murray 6'1, 211lbs. Georgia (Junior)

No guarantee he's coming out, but if someone gets in his ear and tells him he could be the first QB off the board in a weak QB class, he could declare. I think Murray has just as good of a chance being the first QB taken as anyone else in the '13 draft. Draws comparisons to Drew Brees and with QB size becoming less and less of a factor. He's 6'1, which isn't Doug Flutie short, but it's not Joe Flacco either. Murray has been a starter since he was a redshirt freshman. There's not REAL flaw to his mechanics, foot work, or mobility. Makes good reads with a high completion percentage. He can obviously lead his team to winning seasons. Looks like a winner with no real reason to believe his game wouldn't translate to the next level.

Scouting report: Aaron Murray 2013 NFL Draft mini scouting report - National NFL Draft | Examiner.com

Geno Smith 6'3, 220lbs. West Virginia

Now, we get to Geno Smith. The consensus "top QB" in the draft if you just pay attention to mock drafts. If Smith had finished the season the way he started, I'd probably be all about drafting him. However, I have a tough time trusting any players from the Virginia area. They always seem to come out with immense talent, but don't have the maturity or the smarts to stay out of trouble. I worry about the attitude and culture from that talent base which seems to have be a "me first" kind of attitude. His performance in Austin left a bad taste in my mouth after he was talking trash with fans and UT recruits as the game was being played.

Looking at his season as a whole, it seems like he got a taste of success during the early part of the season and let it get to his head, which then affected the rest of his year. I've seen Smith and Wilson play about the same amount over the last couple years. I saw Wilson more last year and Smith a bit more this season. I think the total package that Wilson presents is much better overall than the athletic ability offered by a Geno Smith selection. I wonder if some of the scouting done on Smith isn't the mind playing tricks on people. There seems to be this thought pattern that Geno Smith is this year's RGIII... and he's not. Smith is not a Vick/RGIII type QB. He's mobile, but not a home run hitter. Think of him as a Steve Young type when it comes to mobility.

Overall, I think Geno Smith is NOT a player worth the #1 overall selection. I worry about his game translating because even though some reports say he can make all the throws, I haven't seen what I'd want out of my franchise QB when it comes to the intermediate routes. Smith in the first round would be a bigger gamble, in my opinion, than Dontari Poe was at #13. I honestly think someone is going to get burned with this guy because of the RGIII comparisons and people expecting Smith to be a different player than what he actually is.

Scouting Report: Geno Smith Scouting Report

Matt Barkley 6'2, 220, USC

What ever happened to Matt Barkley? The next great hype out of USC.

"Skill-Set Summary: Barkley is an extremely well-developed passer with good anticipation and field vision. He is a smart quarterback who is adept at reading defenses and knowing where to go with the ball. Barkley has been prepared well for the NFL as he has operates a pro-style West Coast offense under Lane Kiffin.

Barkley is not a complete statue in the pocket, but he is not a running quarterback who brings a running threat to the table. Barkley has a quality arm, but it doesn't look like as if he has an elite cannon for an arm.

Barkley has excellent intangibles. He is a team leader and a studious, hard worker. Outside of football Barkley does a lot of charity work. He hasn't had any public trouble and looks like an ideal face of the franchise for an NFL team."

-Charlie Wilson- WalterFootball.com

Matt Barkley, in my mind, is the enigma of the 2013 draft. What is he? Is he an elite, franchise-shouldering QB, or is he a flame out like multiple other USC QBs around the league? Barkley is the ultimate boom or bust QB prospect. I'd like to believe he could be the steal of the draft if he's taken in the 2nd round. If Barkley had lived up to his potential in 2012, he'd be the easy #1 pick in the draft. But, he didn't live up to expectations and on top of that, he was injured and missed the last few games of the season. So now, evaluators have to make a decision on whether to draft Barkley based on potential or results. Unlike some of the other QBs in this draft, Barkley has had pro-quality players around him and hasn't been able to do much with it.

Scouting Report: WalterFootball.com: 2013 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Matt Barkley

Ryan Nassib 6'2 220lbs. Syracuse

Ryan Nassib could be this draft's Aaron Rogers/Matt Flynn. He'll probably be a 2nd round pick that a team could draft and develop... into an elite QB. I wouldn't be shocked to see him go late in the first or late in the 2nd where he could step into a solid backup role behind a well-established starter like Matt Shaub or Matt Ryan. There's very little to like about this QB other than his height... which really isn't that bad. Anything negative you can say about this QB is just nit-picking. If the Chiefs are serious about addressing the QB position, would it be absolutely horrible to see them take 2 QBs in the first 2 rounds? In my mind, it would at least let us know that they are serious about correcting the problem. You could do worse than Matt Cassel showing these kids how to be a professional QB. I think Cassel is going to be a great QB coach/OC someday... if not head coach.

Scouting Report: TheFootballExpert.com » Ryan Nassib, QB, Syracuse

Tyler Bray is another name that could pop up as the offseason grinds on, but I think he's more of a draft and develop type player. Some people are thinking that with his size, he could be the next Peyton Manning but I just don't see it right now. Manning would've been the #1 overall pick if he had come out a year earlier... Bray isn't in the conversation right now.

E.J. Manuel is another name you will hear but even with all of his great physical attributes, he makes worse decisions than JaMarcus Russell. I don't think he's ready to contribute right away and that's what the Chiefs are looking for. E.J. Manuel is another draft and develop type player. He's at least 3-5 years away.

We have 5 MAYBE 6 guys who are going to be the topic of conversation when we discuss the QBs in this draft. Now, as we sit here on the 23rd of December, where are these 6 guys projected to be taken in the draft? My 5 favorite mock drafts are, Walterfootball.com, CBS.com, Drafttek.com, Draftcountdown.com, and footballsfuture.com. Below, I've ranked the QBs in order according to their current mock selected average among these 5 mock drafts.

1. Geno Smith- 3
    2. Tyler Wilson- 18
    3. Matt Barkley- 19
    4. Mike Glennon- 41
    5. Ryan Nassib- 44
    6. Aaron Murray- NR (hasn't declared)

I think you will see the draft positions all get smaller as we approach the draft, but I expect the QBs to be taken off the board in that order with Mike Glennon perhaps jumping Barkley and Murray jumping Nassib if he chooses to declare. I anticipate a QB to be taken in the top 3. Odds are that it'll be Smith. This may give the Chiefs an opportunity to trade down and accumulate more picks if someone really wants to jump up and snag Smith ahead of Jacksonville or perhaps trade up for Te'o, Jarvis Jones, or someone else. The cost of acquiring the #1 pick overall is steep and will only net the Chiefs a swap of firsts, a 2nd and probably another later pick if not more, so it's gonna be a pretty BIG deal if the Chiefs are able to move out of that #1 pick.

Which teams in the draft need a QB upgrade?

1. Kansas City
    2. Jacksonville
    7. Arizona
    10. Buffalo
    12. Cleveland
    15. New York Jets

Amazing, right? All 6 teams in the bottom half of the league... shocking.

If the Chiefs want Tyler Wilson but not at #1 overall, they probably can't trade down any further than #6 with Tennessee because Arizona needs a QB desperately, as does Jacksonville. The question is going to be who do the Chiefs value more going forward as their franchise QB and where do they think they can get him? Could the Chiefs draft the best player available at #1 overall and land their guy with #33? Or, are the Chiefs going to have to take their QB #1 overall? Perhaps they get a chance to trade down and take their QB later in the top 10. There are a few different scenarios that could play out, but these are the guys they have to evaluate and decide on. The free agent market doesn't have an answer and there aren't too many backup QBs worth trading for. But, the teams listed above are the ones the Chiefs are going to have to deal with if they're going to land a new face of the franchise.

Hopefully, the Chiefs can find a way to maximize their value while landing the guy they want instead of what has happened the last few drafts where Pioli absolutely didn't care about value as long as he filled a hole in his mind.
    Last edited by Coach; 12-30-2012 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    The reason I used Charles' name is because he's the best player on the team.

Fine. Let's use the "best player on the team" analogy. Larry Johnson was the best player on the team. He had all the tools to be one of the great RBs the NFL has ever seen. Not only was he the only weapon the offense had, but he was figuratively unstoppable. Johnson had given no signs previously that he would be the mentally weak, misogynistic, washout thug that the we've come to know. Geno Smith has given us an indication. It may have been an isolated event... but it still happened and is something to consider if we're looking at him as #1 overall. I think that, yes, the K.C. community would turn dramatically on JC if he started acting up... we've already seen it with L.J.

You may not think Geno Smith could be an elite QB in this league, and obviously, many on this forum think the same, but I do. I see it in his arm, his pocket awareness, his accuracy, and his ability to be clutch at big moments. Sure, he didn't win as many games as he would've liked. He could've been better at certain times, but he also had one of the worst defenses in the BCS.

I agree with DMN. Let's wait until the Combine when the coaches and scouts start interviewing him and see what happens. I know I've said this once, but I'll say it again. The NFL isn't the care-bear league. Not every player can act perfect 100% of the time. Almost every professional athlete has done something that they probably aren't proud of. That being said, the NFL is a business. If Geno Smith isn't doing stupid stuff to distract the team, then I could care less as long as he produces.

I completely agree. But his tools don't warrant the gamble on THIS athlete's personality, attitude, and behavior. The tools are there. I don't deny that. He's not as polished as I'd like from a #1 overall, franchise shouldering QB, but he definitely has the tools... but so do the other top 2 or 3 QBs in this draft class. The cost/benefit ratio doesn't warrant taking Smith #1 overall (or ANY QB in this class for that matter). If they could trade down and take him in the middle of the first, then he'd be a more palatable choice.

Looking at the total package, in my OWN opinion, Smith is NOT the QB prospect that is the least-risk option. Therefor, if the Chiefs can get the QB that DOES represent the least-risk but also is a comparable commodity in the mid-to-late first or 2nd, then THAT is where the Chiefs' QB selection should be targeted.

I can't stress this enough. There is a value at which EVERY athlete should be considered. If we were having this conversation on day 2 of the draft and Geno Smith was still on the board, I'd be yelling, kicking, and SCREAMING for the front office to take him. As I mentioned a few posts ago, basic economic principles need to be applied to the draft and the offseason as a whole. You can't just say "hey, he fills a need and is the best option at his position this year, so let's take him." That's why you NEVER see OGs taken in the top 5... EVER. They don't represent the greatest value at that pick... a comparable commodity could be had for MUCH cheaper... and that's what we have with this year's QB class.

Is Smith the best QB in this draft class? Arguably, yes. But does the difference between him and the guy who's available late in the first warrant paying such a high premium as the #1 pick? I say no.

Dick Vermeil did not like Larry Johnson because of his attitude he didn't want to draft him that was all Carl Peterson. You all have to remember the reference to the diaper comments and LJ don't you. LJ had a me first attitude and dick vermeil knew it CO wanted him and we paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    I completely agree. But his tools don't warrant the gamble on THIS athlete's personality, attitude, and behavior. The tools are there. I don't deny that. He's not as polished as I'd like from a #1 overall, franchise shouldering QB, but he definitely has the tools... but so do the other top 2 or 3 QBs in this draft class. The cost/benefit ratio doesn't warrant taking Smith #1 overall (or ANY QB in this class for that matter). If they could trade down and take him in the middle of the first, then he'd be a more palatable choice.

Looking at the total package, in my OWN opinion, Smith is NOT the QB prospect that is the least-risk option. Therefor, if the Chiefs can get the QB that DOES represent the least-risk but also is a comparable commodity in the mid-to-late first or 2nd, then THAT is where the Chiefs' QB selection should be targeted.

I can't stress this enough. There is a value at which EVERY athlete should be considered. If we were having this conversation on day 2 of the draft and Geno Smith was still on the board, I'd be yelling, kicking, and SCREAMING for the front office to take him. As I mentioned a few posts ago, basic economic principles need to be applied to the draft and the offseason as a whole. You can't just say "hey, he fills a need and is the best option at his position this year, so let's take him." That's why you NEVER see OGs taken in the top 5... EVER. They don't represent the greatest value at that pick... a comparable commodity could be had for MUCH cheaper... and that's what we have with this year's QB class.

Is Smith the best QB in this draft class? Arguably, yes. But does the difference between him and the guy who's available late in the first warrant paying such a high premium as the #1 pick? I say no.
    Yessir.

Want to know what the REAL "Patriot Way" is?

It's understanding the value of players in the draft and maximizing the value of ALL their resources... cap room, current personnel, and draft picks. If there isn't a player worth their selection, they trade the pick for maximum value. They understand where players should be taken in the drafts, have a good understanding as to where certain position players rank among their peers, and which position represents the greatest value in any particular draft. They have a great understanding as to who surrounds them in the draft and how to best exploit their draft position.

Want to know why the Patriots and Spurs are always among the best in the their salary-capped leagues? It's not just because of Tom Brady and Tim Duncan. It's because they understand the economics of the sports in which they compete. You rarely see either team making big splashes in the draft. Hell, the Spurs rarely have a first round pick and the Patriots are always picking the last 5 or 6 picks of the first round.

Plugging holes isn't enough to be successful in a salary-capped league. This isn't baseball where you have the Dodgers, Yankees, Angels, or Redsox payrolls and it's all just plug-and-play. Baseball is all about statistics and metrics in a league where they're FAR LESS valuable than sports like basketball and football where you NEED as much information as possible to make sure you're getting the greatest value for your dollar. If someone put together a chart comparing each team's draft value over the last 15 years to everyone else's, I'd bet you'd see New England in the top 5 and Kansas City in the bottom 5. The value just is not there when it comes to the Chiefs' drafts... and the ultimate result comes to bare when we see this franchise in utter disarray, picking #1 overall with no clear direction for the future.
    Last edited by texaschief; 12-27-2012 at 10:22 PM.

But this is the 2nd draft in the new rookie cba. Its not as risky as jamarcus russel, sam bradford, four year contract still making less then matt cassel has over four miserable years

Quote Originally Posted by whackojacko58 View Post
    But this is the 2nd draft in the new rookie cba. Its not as risky as jamarcus russel, sam bradford, four year contract still making less then matt cassel has over four miserable years
    You're correct. It's not as risky as the #1 overall pick PLUS a huge contract anymore. But, because the risk has been reduced, the value of the pick has sky-rocketed. There's even more value in that #1 overall pick because teams no longer have to risk signing that player to gigantic salaries that eat up all the cap space.

Again, value, value, value. The Chiefs are in a position to get maximum value for the player they SHOULD want in this draft. Last year, we saw multiple teams move up in the draft because they don't need to worry about the salary cap ramifications any longer from signing high draft picks. So, GMs are willing to give up picks in order to acquire the guys at the top of their boards.

My argument is that even if you think Geno Smith MAY be the best QB coming out of the draft, the difference between him and another QB who could be taken later in the first, is NOT EQUAL to the value they'd be losing by taking Smith #1 overall. In order for the Chiefs to become relevant again, they're going to need to find a way to start maximizing ALL their assets. The #1 overall pick is a highly coveted pick... you could take ANYONE. If you're fielding calls for that pick, you should take the best deal available. Trade down and continue to trade down until you're in a position to pick the player you want at the price that makes it appropriate.

Just because Best Buy has a TV that is valued at $1500, doesn't mean you should buy it if you can get a comparable unit for half the price. Sure, the TV fills a need, but what if you're in the market for a surround sound, bluray, and xbox as well? If you have $1500 to spend, you don't blow your entire budget on the TV just because it fills a need. You maximize your budget through opportunity cost. You can't spend money on the surround sound, bluray, and xbox if you've already spent it on the tv.

If it's the Chiefs we're talking about, it's possible that we could draft an elite ILB AND a comparable QB to Smith if we either trade down or take a LB in the first and QB in the second. The difference between Te'o and the best ILB available at #33 is > than the difference between Smith and the best QB available at #33.

There is your valuation. Things like this need to be taken into account and they just haven't been in Kansas City for a LONG time.

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    Gets heckled and responds to being heckled equals mentally weak. Going from Heisman front runner to not even Heisman finalist equals mentally weak. Have you not read this article???? gives in depth analysis on the qbs and Geno smiths me first attitude which in no way shape or form will translate to leading an nfl franchise day one.
    He didn't lose those games, his atrocious defense did that. HIs only truly bad game was against K State. Outside of that, the kid put up serious points every single week.

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    So, if the Chiefs go into Denver and demolish the Broncos and Charles has 250+ rushing yards and 3 TDs, but starts flashing gang signs, will you instantly hate him?

Sorry, but this all sounds like a great big excuse to not draft a QB. Sometimes you have to take risks, and even if there's a chance it doesn't pay off, you have to keep trying. Trust me, if the Raiders ended up drafting Geno Smith and own us for the next 15 years, I think you'd see what I mean.
    Absolutely THIS. I'm tired of the Chiefs refusing to swing the bat at every draft since 83. Get in there and take a risk on someone. If it doesn't work out. TRY AGAIN. Quit playing it safe at the most important position on the damn field.

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    Dick Vermeil did not like Larry Johnson because of his attitude he didn't want to draft him that was all Carl Peterson. You all have to remember the reference to the diaper comments and LJ don't you. LJ had a me first attitude and dick vermeil knew it CO wanted him and we paid for it.

To be fair, what we got in the beginning was one of the best running backs in the league, which herm destroyed with his 40+ carries a game/ultra conservative play calling butned him out. yes he was a head case and was a distraction later on. i do think however under different coaching, one that didn't hate him and one that didn't let the opposing defenses to gang tackle him 3 yds deep 4o times a game, he would have turned out better.
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    To be fair, what we got in the beginning was one of the best running backs in the league, which herm destroyed with his 40+ carries a game/ultra conservative play calling butned him out. yes he was a head case and was a distraction later on. i do think however under different coaching, one that didn't hate him and one that didn't let the opposing defenses to gang tackle him 3 yds deep 4o times a game, he would have turned out better.
    Doesn't matter dick vermeil knew the person he was. He ran behind Willie road and will shields dude and tony g is no slouch blocking either. Dick vermeil said he had never had to hold a players hand the way he had to with LJ.

Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast