Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: players to keep

Hybrid View

Default players to keep

Though this would be a fun thread to start and what ideas everyone had.

Defensive line i say keep them all except Dorsey( think he's gone anyway). I know they had problems this year but alot of them are young.

The starting linebackers are good to go , like to see them add a bruisin run stopper at mlb. backups can go.

Flowers , Berry , Lewis(give him 1 more year) and Arenas as the nickle I'm good with. Gotta find another corner though.

The offense is a mess but better coaching & play calling will help more than we know.
    Charles , Draughns and Gray i really like , might keep Eachus but hillis should be cut Monday imho.

Wr needs help bad. Bowe may/may not be gone , Baldwin is a bust , know idea like everyone else whats
    up w/ Breaston , Copper good for special teams and makes the occasional play on O so keep for me. McClusters falls when the wind blows , the others meh.
    Moeoki injury prone but good when healthy so he's a big ? , need more help there too.

The O-line idk. look good 1 game , bad the next , even play to play that way. Believe the injury to Hudson hurt alot. Draft another C/G and keep in tact. Except for Stephenson they need better backups.

Best for last because its the easiest one. The QB position. Get three new ones. I hope they bring 5-6 to camp , start intense competition from the get go , keep the best 3 for preseason , let them fight it out evenly till last one and pick a starter. Nuff said.

what say you Chiefscorwd ? Like to hear everyone's opinion whether you agree or disagree w/ what i've said. Might as well break it down cause its gonna be a long off season.
    I just hope the bass are big and biting alot this spring and summer , thats if i have the money to go after the fiscal cliff and obama care kick my finances hard in the arse.

Hillis does not need cut his contract with us was for one year only.

I sort of agree with assessment there are a few things that could be different but a lot depends on the new staff we might change back to a 4-3 Def we just do not know anything right now.

I do not know what Breaston did to get in RAC's doghouse he is the best WR on the team right now and not even active on gamedays, did he hit on RACs daughter or grand daughter, I do not know anything about RAC's family, if he even has a daughter or grand daughter the right age.

If you let backup LBers go then we will need to bring a bunch to find some backups that may not be as good as what we have, I say keep them and still bring a bunch of new ones and see which ones rise to the top.

We should keep our FB DiMarco and try to work him in as an outlet also, he is a blocker.

I believe the OL will be okay with Hudson back but they need to resign Albert and come up with 3 or 4 new backups.

I don't see a whole lot of changes that NEED to be made other than QB. This team could potentially send 7 players to the pro bowl... that doesn't happen with too many 2-win teams. There's talent here. It just needs talent at the most important positions: QB and ILB.

M happy with our OL. Jeff Allen did well as a rookie backup. Throw Hudson back in there and it will look a lot better. I agree I would like to see Albert resigned. I'm ok with keeping Hillis. He wasn't used properly IMHO. I'd like to see a TE with more durability than Boss and Moeaki.

Defense there isn't anyone I would cut, just add an ILB and CB. If necessary, replace Dorsey if he leaves.

Hillis, Baldwin, Jackson, Newsome, Quinn, Cassel, Stanzi, Wylie, Draughn need to go.

Not sure if I left anyone out. Has there ever been a franchise where 3 qb's needed to be fired at the end of the year?

Nice job Fat Scott.

I hope wylie becomes our kick return and punt return he has the agility

this is the worst part of bad coaching. Not knowing what players dont belong and what players do. The obvious is that hillis, the qbs, and coaching needs to go. Hillis anD the qbs got more then enough chances. the rest of the players mentioned did not because of coaching.

The Chiefs have backed themselves into a corner by not addressing some of these contracts before now. This is a list of the IMPORTANT UNRESTRICTED Free Agents on this team set to hit the open market:

Dwayne Bowe

Branden Albert

Dustin Colquitt

Glenn Dorsey

Peyton Hillis

Ryan Lilja

Steve Maneri/Jake O'Connell

Brandon Siler

Shaun Smith

Thomas Gafford

That's a pretty serious list. All but Hillis and the TEs are starters. There are 25 starters on an NFL team if you count the kicker, punter, and long snapper. You can only franchise one of those guys and it would probably come down between Albert and Bowe. The rest of those guys probably see what happened this year and can't wait to hit the open market. I don't see how you could expect any of those guys to come back unless you severely over-payed them.

Even with those players coming off the books, the Chiefs will be right at or just over the salary cap for next season... that's how great of a GM Pioli is.

Andrew Gilbert from Arrowhead Addict did a great write-up on the Chiefs current salary cap situation here:

http://arrowheadaddict.com/2012/10/1...cap-situation/

Let's pretend the Chiefs get a new GM... in fact, let's pretend that new GM is us. On top of all the UFAs listed above, Tyson Jackson has a serious bump in his pay coming in 2013 which make him a prime candidate to be cut. Matt Cassel is sitting in the same boat with two more seasons left on his contract and he's CLEARLY not going to be the future at the QB position in KC. So, he'll probably get the ax as well.

Without getting too deep into the numbers, (I encourage you to read the article I linked above) and assuming the article above is remotely correct, cutting those 2 players along with all the contracts coming off the books and rolling over the unused cap space from 2012, that puts the Chiefs somewhere around 30million under the cap.

If the Chiefs continue with the 3-4 defense, they're not going to just allow Jackson to walk away. While I would be in favor of cutting Jackson rather than paying him $14m, I think there's an option here that wasn't presented in the article: renegotiation. NFL teams and players renegotiate contracts on a regular basis. The Chiefs aren't going to allow a #3 overall pick walk away just so someone else can pick him up on the cheap. However, if Jackson no longer has any desire to play here, he may force the Chiefs hand... unlikely in my opinion. I'd expect a renegotiated contract with Tyson and a cap number after rookies are signed and all is said and done around 23million under.

If you franchise Bowe, he'll make around $10million in 2014. If you franchise Albert, he'll make about the same. If I'm the Chiefs, I sign Albert to a long-term deal and franchise Bowe if need be. I'd try to get a deal done with Bowe as well. Hopefully instead of losing one or both of them, you can keep them in-house to help your new QB for the foreseeable future. If you signed Albert and franchised Bowe, those moves will eat up about 17mil of your cap space in 2013. If you signed them both to long-term deals, you might could get away with them only costing you 12mil in 2013.

Let's pretend we sign them both to 5 year deals and their first years are worth 6.5 each, putting their collective number around 13mil. Leaves us with about 10 to play with... and we haven't helped the team from 2012 yet and still have Pro Bowl punter to sign as well as replacing a starting DE AND a starting OG/C. In 2011, Michael Koenen got 6/19.5 from Tampa. Let's say we overpay for Colquitt to keep him here and give him 3/yr for 5 years. Now, we're down to 7mil in cap space.

Let Lilja and Dorsey walk. Bailey can fill Dorsey's shoes. We have enough depth on the O-line to let Lilja walk especially if we're smart in the draft again. Re-sign Gafford for 750k and let the rest walk. Now we're sitting here with only 6mil in cap space... now what?

There's a bunch of free agents out there who can fill spots the Chiefs need to fill. I think priority #1 should be a QB who can come in and compete if not provide a safety net. Matt Moore would be at the top of my list of ALL free agents. Safety and #2 CB would be my next targets. Everything else, I'd target in the first 3 rounds.

When we're talking about which players to sign, release, etc, it's important to understand that our salary cap position isn't all nice and rosy. Some tough decisions will have to be made. If there isn't some mutual interest in some of these players coming back to KC, we may be looking at another complete rebuilding process if another GM is brought in.

Dwayne Bowe - keep

Branden Albert - keep

Dustin Colquitt - keep

Glenn Dorsey - gone

Peyton Hillis - gone

Ryan Lilja - gone

Steve Maneri/Jake O'Connell - keep Maneri

Brandon Siler - keep

Shaun Smith - keep

Thomas Gafford - keep

Whoa !
    I thought they were in good shape w/ the cap. Either Pioli thought they could win it all now w/ this group & his coaches OR he really doesn't know how to work the cap like he was made out to be good at. Wow.

So w/ this info Texaschief , Hunt has got a tough choice---Keep Pioli for one more year and try to straighten out this mess...OR...start over with another rebuild. As long as they bring in all new qbs and draft one every year till we get a franchise one i'd be good w/ the rebuilding. Hunt may choose to keep him and do the rebuild.

Guess we will find out in about 24 hrs cause whatever they do will start monday morning. At 0800 hrs.
    At least i hope it does.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast