Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pioli better go

Default pioli better go

Chatter increases that Pioli could be back in Kansas City

Posted by Mike Florio on December 30, 2012, 9:01 AM EST

APThere’s a loose rule in NFL circles that a traditional General Manager gets to hire two coaches before the G.M. ends up on the hot seat. The Bears broke from that loose standard last year, firing G.M. Jerry Angelo before the only coach Angelo ever hired was let go.
    The Chiefs could go the other way this time around, giving G.M. Scott Pioli a third chance to hire a new head coach.
    The prevailing rumor in league circles is that first-year coach Romeo Crennel will be replaced, but that Pioli will remain. In 2009, Pioli hired Todd Haley to coach the team. Haley was fired during his third season on the job.
    No one knows for sure what owner Clark Hunt will do. He was facing unrelenting pressure from fans and local media to clean house earlier this season. The Jovan Belcher tragedy caused much of the outcry to diminish.
    If Hunt keeps Pioli, his mandate will be clear: Find a quarterback. With five Pro Bowlers on a two-win team, there’s no lack of talent at other positions in Kansas City. But Matt Cassel never has matched his performance in 2008, the year he replaced Tom Brady in New England, and it’s impossible to win in this league without someone who can move the chains by flinging the pig.
    The bad news for the Chiefs and Pioli is that they’re a year late to earn a top-two pick. There’s no Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin III in 2013. Pioli’s best bet could be to take the best available athlete at the top of the draft, and then to make like Trent Baalke or John Schneider and find a franchise quarterback in round two or three.
    If Hunt fires Pioli, the talk is that Bill Polian could become the new G.M. in Kansas City. Some suspect, however, that the Polian rumors trace to Polian himself.
    Either way, a looming finish of 2-14 shows that changes are needed in Kansas City. The only question is how extensive they’ll be.

if they retain him this would be pathetic. all pioli had to do was realize when the sperm edwards era was done. he needed to get an elite qb. what does he do. goes and gets a career backup in matt cassell and pays him out the ###.

and out of those five pro bowlers pioli drafted only one.

2-14 in his 4th year = Pioli has failed.
    SHUT IT

pregame show claims Pioli stays RC gone
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]

Well if Pioli stays there goes our chances of getting any kind of decent coach in here. I doubt many want to coach under him, and his horrible draft picks that are clearly reaches. And nobody is gonna want to coach under a GM that's already on the hot seat and begging to keep his job. So who's gonna be our new coach? Wayne Fontes, Rich Kotite, or Denny Green?
    Doing my best to keep my sons memory alive!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MissingTBone View Post
    Well if Pioli stays there goes our chances of getting any kind of decent coach in here. I doubt many want to coach under him, and his horrible draft picks that are clearly reaches. And nobody is gonna want to coach under a GM that's already on the hot seat and begging to keep his job. So who's gonna be our new coach? Wayne Fontes, Rich Kotite, or Denny Green?
    Somebody from New England LOL. Josh McDaniels. Somebody shoot me.
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    Somebody from New England LOL. Josh McDaniels. Somebody shoot me.
    Please sweet baby Jesus, NOT McDaniels. Although the Broncos hope we keep Pioli AND pick up McDaniels to coach us.
    Doing my best to keep my sons memory alive!!!

Quote Originally Posted by slc chief View Post
    Chatter increases that Pioli could be back in Kansas City

Posted by Mike Florio on December 30, 2012, 9:01 AM EST

APThere’s a loose rule in NFL circles that a traditional General Manager gets to hire two coaches before the G.M. ends up on the hot seat. The Bears broke from that loose standard last year, firing G.M. Jerry Angelo before the only coach Angelo ever hired was let go.
    The Chiefs could go the other way this time around, giving G.M. Scott Pioli a third chance to hire a new head coach.
    The prevailing rumor in league circles is that first-year coach Romeo Crennel will be replaced, but that Pioli will remain. In 2009, Pioli hired Todd Haley to coach the team. Haley was fired during his third season on the job.
    No one knows for sure what owner Clark Hunt will do. He was facing unrelenting pressure from fans and local media to clean house earlier this season. The Jovan Belcher tragedy caused much of the outcry to diminish.
    If Hunt keeps Pioli, his mandate will be clear: Find a quarterback. With five Pro Bowlers on a two-win team, there’s no lack of talent at other positions in Kansas City. But Matt Cassel never has matched his performance in 2008, the year he replaced Tom Brady in New England, and it’s impossible to win in this league without someone who can move the chains by flinging the pig.
    The bad news for the Chiefs and Pioli is that they’re a year late to earn a top-two pick. There’s no Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin III in 2013. Pioli’s best bet could be to take the best available athlete at the top of the draft, and then to make like Trent Baalke or John Schneider and find a franchise quarterback in round two or three.
    If Hunt fires Pioli, the talk is that Bill Polian could become the new G.M. in Kansas City. Some suspect, however, that the Polian rumors trace to Polian himself.
    Either way, a looming finish of 2-14 shows that changes are needed in Kansas City. The only question is how extensive they’ll be.

So now if that they do keep him (definately would be on the hot seat)and likely a lame duck then its gonna most likely be 19 months from today before we get to see a decent Chiefs squad take the field again.

I have no faith in him picking the right coach , coaches or quarterback.

Chiefs reportedly leaning toward firing Scott Pioli - SB Nation Kansas City

Schefter: Chiefs mulling big change

December, 30, 2012 Dec 30
    1:50
    PM ET

By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Sunday that he expects the Kansas City Chiefs to fire coach Romeo Crennel.

As for general manager Scott Pioli, Schefter reports the Chiefs -- mired in a miserable 2-13 season -- are leaning toward firing Pioli.

If I had to guess, I’d say both Crennel and Pioli are going to be fired. They are a package deal. I think if the Hunt family had its druthers, it would give both men another chance. But the fan fury is so great in Kansas City, I think the Hunts will be compelled to make a move.

I don’t think firing one of the two and keeping the other will work.

Pioli has hired two coaches -- Todd Haley and Crennel -- since joining the Chiefs in 2009. I don’t necessarily think he will get a chance to hire a third. If that is what is the case, I think the Chiefs will likely make a clean sweep and hire a new general manager (Bill Polian, anyone?) first and then a head coach.

We shall soon see. I don’t think the Hunts will wait long before making a decision.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast