Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aaron Murray

Default Aaron Murray

I know we have talked about him but the announcer doin his interview after the game asked him point blank about the Chiefs and he avoided answering the question. Anyone heard anything.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Just thought I would bump this.

This is how long I've wanted Murray. And why I'm so excited we got him.
    Congratulations your man got drafted.

My brothers didn't believe me either when I was stroking him 2 years ago. Our QB has arrived! Well in my humble opinion he has.

Should be a starter week 4 of next year at the latest, imo

Quote Originally Posted by Lineup Dough View Post
    Should be a starter week 4 of next year at the latest, imo
    I think you are being rather optimistic. I can't imagine anybody pushing Alex Smith out of the starting position in the 2014 season.

I think he could be another Brodie Croyle too be honest. As all of us know, he have a history of drafting mid-tier QB's that don't plan out. I could be wrong, but 6'1" 210 is a fragile frame for the NFL. We'll see.
    KC Chiefs fan since 1965!
    Home of the Middle East! Istanbul Club.

You're quite right. He COULD turn into another Brokey Croyle. BUT...lets look at 3 quarterbacks.....

1) Alex Smith.........6' 4".....217 lbs.

2) Brokey Croyle.....6' 2".....251 lbs

3) Aaron Murray......6' 1".....210 lbs

Looking at those numbers, it's evident that the "bulkiest" of the 3 was Brokey Croyle. Murray is 7 lbs lighter than Smith and 3" shorter. So Murray is "bulkier" than Alex Smith. And I'm sure you will agree that Alex Smith (who in reality is a string bean by NFL standards) is a fairly durable quarterback.

This shows fairly clearly that the "bulkiness" of a quarterback's frame does not dictate how durable he is going to be.

Yes.....Aaron Murray COULD be another Brokey Croyle. Or he COULD be another Alex Smith. Or anywhere in between. But IMO any draft pick after round 3 is an absolute crap-shoot. And I don't think Murray is a bad bet. There is much more to a quarterback's ability to stay healthy than just the size of his frame. How good is the O-line? How much time does a quarterback get before he is under pressure? How good is his situational awareness? Does he "sense" pressure and know to take off with the ball and finish out the run by sliding?

YUP! He COULD be another Brokey Croyle. He could also turn into a great quarterback. Only time will tell.
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 05-19-2014 at 12:27 PM.

No way Croyle is 251. I know that is what wilki says, but NFL stats have him at 206. I think he was closer to 196 when the Chiefs drafted him. Croyle had a history of getting hurt. Murray didn't really have that history other than his knee.

Actually Croyle was listed at 205 pre draft, not 196 but he still had a very small frame that would not be able to hold a lot of bulk.

Murray has more bulk on him than Trent Green.Trent was 6'3 and 208.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    No way Croyle is 251. I know that is what wilki says, but NFL stats have him at 206. I think he was closer to 196 when the Chiefs drafted him. Croyle had a history of getting hurt. Murray didn't really have that history other than his knee.
    Thank you for correcting me. Annoying when Wiki is FOS. But it doesn't really change the point I was trying to make. Alex Smith still weighs less per inch of height than either Croyle or Murray. There are just a ton of other factors that go into a quarterback's durability than how big and strong he is. So IMO suggesting that Murray will be another Croyle just because of his size is bad logic.

I'm not saying Murray is going to turn into that "home-grown" quarterback we've never been able to get and develop, just that there is nothing in his size or history that says he has any less chance of being successful than Alex Smith or for that matter Len Dawson or Joe Montana.

The NFL history is littered with 1st round quarterback picks that turned into busts. And there are plenty of 3rd or later round picks that turned into stars....Roger Staubach--10th round......Joe Montana--3rd round.....Tom Brady--6th round # 199 overall.

There are just so many factors that go into how a quarterback does in the NFL. Not the least of which (as brdempsey pointed out) is if the Head Coach and quarterbacks coach knows how to develop a quarterback.

Aaron Murray is no "sure thing". But he's certainly not a "sure bust".

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Thank you for correcting me. Annoying when Wiki is FOS. But it doesn't really change the point I was trying to make. Alex Smith still weighs less per inch of height than either Croyle or Murray. There are just a ton of other factors that go into a quarterback's durability than how big and strong he is. So IMO suggesting that Murray will be another Croyle just because of his size is bad logic.

I'm not saying Murray is going to turn into that "home-grown" quarterback we've never been able to get and develop, just that there is nothing in his size or history that says he has any less chance of being successful than Alex Smith or for that matter Len Dawson or Joe Montana.

The NFL history is littered with 1st round quarterback picks that turned into busts. And there are plenty of 3rd or later round picks that turned into stars....Roger Staubach--10th round......Joe Montana--3rd round.....Tom Brady--6th round # 199 overall.

There are just so many factors that go into how a quarterback does in the NFL. Not the least of which (as brdempsey pointed out) is if the Head Coach and quarterbacks coach knows how to develop a quarterback.

Aaron Murray is no "sure thing". But he's certainly not a "sure bust".
    I understand. I just saw the 251 and about fell out of my chair in disbelief.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast