Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Andy Reid

Default Andy Reid

Just confirmed andy will interview in kc today then fly to arizona to interview there

Dick Vermeil chimes in:

Former Chiefs head coach Dick Vermeil gave Andy Reid one word of advice about taking the job in Kansas City.

"Go," Vermeil said.

Vermeil, who lives in Philadelphia, speaks to Reid regularly, including earlier this week before a contingent of Chiefs executives, led by chairman Clark Hunt, interviewed Reid for nine hours on Wednesday.

Negotiations were continuing on Thursday, and as of late in the afternoon, Vermeil had not heard if Reid and the Chiefs closed the deal.

Vermeil said there were several factors in why Reid was interested in the Chiefs, even when Arizona and San Diego had hoped to interview him.

"He's coached at the University of Missouri," Vermeil said of Reid's three-year stint as on offensive line coach for the Tigers during 1989-91. "He's been in middle America before and knows what the people are like. He knows how I feel about it. He's been in that stadium. He kicked my rear - when we were ahead 18-0 - and he knows how the fans are there, and how that Arrowhead Stadium is when it's full.

"And he knows the great respect and admiration people in the NFL have for the Hunt family, so why not go? There are no negatives."

One negative is the shaky state of the quarterback position in Kansas City.

"You can't have everything," Vermeil said. "I'd rather have a great owner and no quarterback than a quarterback and not a great owner. They have a couple of quarterbacks (Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn) who have played well before, and maybe they'll play well again. Sometimes schemes fit quarterbacks better than other schemes.

"This year took a guy out of college, for criminy sakes, (Nick Foles), a third-round draft choice, and he plays pretty darn well."

Vermeil is confident that Reid, 54, can turn the Chiefs around.

"He's been doing it for 14 years," Vermeil said. "He finished on a downswing, but a lot of those things . . . the injury factor were part of the problem. The mistakes he's made, if he has made any, he'll know how to correct them. And he's always had a great offensive football team, and when he's had a real good defensive coordinator, he's always had a good defensive team.

"When you've gone to five NFC championship games, you've done a hell of a job."

Reid would be the third former Eagles coach or player to coach the Chiefs, following Vermeil (2001-05) and Herm Edwards (2006-08). Vermeil spent 1976-82 with the Eagles and took them to the Super Bowl after the 1980 season.

"You've got the best one," Vermeil said of Reid. "He's a great person and a great coach. I think he'll fit in perfectly within that environment, within the community, and he'll fit in the organization. I just don't think you can do any better."

Vermeil said Reid did not ask him about how he thought he could coexist with Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli.

Read more here: Vermeil urging Andy Reid to take Chiefs' coaching position - Football Wires - MiamiHerald.com
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Skip Bayliss and Jason Witlock both say Reid is overrated Start booking superbowl tickets people

Reid should not be overrated any Chiefs fans. They have to understand that Reid can't do it alone, any more than Marty, or Vermeil, or Hank Stram could.

He'll need the help of his assistants and the front office. This isn't going to be a one man show, and Chiefs fans had better come to grips with that very quickly.

short interview with frank Boal I saw last night

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Reid should not be overrated any Chiefs fans. They have to understand that Reid can't do it alone, any more than Marty, or Vermeil, or Hank Stram could.

He'll need the help of his assistants and the front office. This isn't going to be a one man show, and Chiefs fans had better come to grips with that very quickly.
    Of course Reid can't do it all by himself! But he is a huge step in the right direction....at least in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Of course Reid can't do it all by himself! But he is a huge step in the right direction....at least in my opinion.
    Oh definitely, Reid is a step in the right direction. What I'm suggesting is that Chiefs fans temper their expectations. The disaster that occurred in the 2012 season should have taught everybody that.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Oh definitely, Reid is a step in the right direction. What I'm suggesting is that Chiefs fans temper their expectations. The disaster that occurred in the 2012 season should have taught everybody that.
    Agreed! But I don't have huge expectations.....

I expect 2013 to be a better record than 2012.

I expect 2014 to be "HOPEFULLY" competing for a wildcard.

I expect a serious run for the AFC West Title in 2015.

Realistically I just want to feel good about my Chiefs again. At least know we are on the right track.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Agreed! But I don't have huge expectations.....

I expect 2013 to be a better record than 2012.

I expect 2014 to be "HOPEFULLY" competing for a wildcard.

I expect a serious run for the AFC West Title in 2015.

Realistically I just want to feel good about my Chiefs again. At least know we are on the right track.
    Most certainly, and I like the fact that Reid is an Offensive guru & brother, do the Chiefs ever need to improve in that area.

I say if he can't get the Chiefs to the Super Bowl Feb 3rd- Fire him!!!!!!!!
    The Chiefs are Back!

Although I'm not sold on Reid 100% - a red flag for me is the fact that Eagles fans aren't complaining about his dismissal - I do think that the Chiefs' front office is heading in the right direction. Our passing offense needs some help, and we're getting a coach that has a good history of developing QB's. And he's getting the #1 draft pick.

The way Clark reacted with going tI serif before he could see anyone else makes me think about the reports when PM was cut by the colts last season and they said an owner/GM showed up at the Indy airport to talk to him. I wonder if it was Clark/Pioli? Oh well, glad our future appears brighter. Let's get a solid GM who can really evaluate talent in here and were ginna be peaking right about the time Manning is retiring!
    Doing my best to keep my sons memory alive!!!