Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any draft standouts at Center?

Default Any draft standouts at Center?

Lately all the talk has been about QB's, or switching back to a 4-3 defense...Has there been any talk at all over solving Pioli's folly at center? What if Hudson comes back and isn't the same, we can't expect Lilja to be the permanent solution there. Would we still be able to get a decent center in the 2nd or 3rd rounds this year?

lilja retired, hudson i'm sure will be fine.. but i full expect us to atleast pickup 1 or maybe 2 OG/C in the draft for backups

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Lately all the talk has been about QB's, or switching back to a 4-3 defense...Has there been any talk at all over solving Pioli's folly at center? What if Hudson comes back and isn't the same, we can't expect Lilja to be the permanent solution there. Would we still be able to get a decent center in the 2nd or 3rd rounds this year?
    Lilja is already retired. There is Khaled Holmes, C, USC whose said to be a possible 2nd or 3rd round prospect. Maybe FA might turn up someone worthy of bringing in.

But you are correct, it is an area they need to address.

If we get OT with the first pick i would kike to resign albert and move him to LG. That would shore up our line alot. Keep allen and stephenson as backups.

Definitely agree about keeping Allen & Stephenson around. All things considered they played pretty well.

Just don't want to see us get into another situation where we have to "convert" a person into an NFL-level center in the middle of a game, like last season. Would think we could fine a good C in later rounds as insurance for Hudson.

Would love to see Barrett jones from Alabama, the guy has played every position on the OL. He would be awesomely valuable since he could come in to any position (although he probably isn't quick enough to play OT in the NFL). I doubt he makes it past the first round, though, and I wouldn't take him earlier than 20, 25.

I'm not sure solving the center issue would be worth using a first round draft pick, but it's something we need to take a look at, maybe this will be a good gauge of the new HC/GM to see if they solve the LESS popular issues as well as the more popular ones (QB).

Khaled Holmes would definitely be worth a look if we took Barkley with the first (he'd be accustomed to Barkley's snap counts, used to handing off to him, etc etc, cut down on some of mistakes that could happen).

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    If we get OT with the first pick i would kike to resign albert and move him to LG. That would shore up our line alot. Keep allen and stephenson as backups.
    This

Yes, this would bolster the O-Line a lot.

I think if we get a OT we should have him and Albert both work for the LT spot Albert might be ahead of him at least short term due to him be a rookie. But If the rookie shows he can do it at the same or better level then Albert then he should be the LT and then move Albert to LG. You never know how well a rookie is going to take to the NFL.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast