Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 1 more chance at QB?

Default 1 more chance at QB?

I know I will be crucified for bringing this up but is it too crazy to give Cassel one more chance? I won't argue that he has many flaws, but ... Did he truly get a chance to thrive? This past season has so many negatives that I don't think any QB would've thrived in this coaching carousel,daboll offense,inconsistent O line,change at center, etc... I'm not saying name him the starter but really give him a chance with a QB friendly head coach. I definitley would bring in fa's and draft a QB for competition and possibly our new franchise QB but I not sure we should just run him out of town yet. I think the circus act we've had for the past 4 years is why many QB's and coaches past us up! Nobody wants to build on a chaotic program with such a tyrant as the gm. Now that we might have one of the greatest football minds in place, we might have a real chance to evaluate our QB talent. I must admit tho, I feel hypocritical making a case for cassel since it was pioli's choice to bring him in. Lol!

Default The Stronghold

Matt Cassel was under a lot of pressure last season, he had to look over his shoulder, cause RAC 1st round pick needed another shot in the NFL. (Brady Quinn). Matts WRs could not handle the ball. O-line looked sketchey, and coaching was a mess. Plus he had yet another OC.
    I'm very undecided if I would like to see what he can do at the QB position this coming season.
    But Andy Reid is known for his ability to help the QB, and Matt Cassel seems like he's a good fit for Reids system. Plus I can't help but notice the stats KC CHIEFS put up in the begining of the season. They were neck in neck with a lot of teams in Yards per game. and many other stats, I believe the turnovers lost us the majority of games.

I trust in Reids decision on who will start at QB. The man has a lot of talent to work with, and he gets the pick of the litter in every round of the 2013 draft.

GO CHIEFS

Tough call, he's a nice guy, dealt with a lot of change and in reality who wouldn't do crappy with Todd Haley as your coworker. The whole cap hit issue sucks but I have been beyond pissed way too many times this year to not want a change. Sometimes in life it just doesn't work, kinda like that ex you think might be worth another chance but whether it be due to past issues or the inability to truly change, it just doesn't happen. Go chiefs!

Are you people kidding me? This just in:

MATT CASSEL WAS THE WORST QB IN THE NFL LAST YEAR AND IT WASN'T CLOSE!

Not only that, he has NEVER BEEN GOOD! Stop with this "Give him a chance!" nonsense and cut the loser and say good riddance along with Pioli!
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

I never agreed with them getting Cassell. I thought it was dumb in the first place. I would have rather they stuck with Thigpen running the pistol for another year and try to find someone else. Seriously, would they have been worse with Thigpen? My boss and I argued about this constantly at work. I was glad to finally be proved right!
    "If you need braggin' on, let someone else do it"-my dad

Good God people. What has Cassel done to deserve ANOTHER chance? That is crazy talk. Releasing him does more for the Chiefs than keeping him at this point.

Hell, I didn't want him from the get go and Pioli trading for him was a HUGE strike one in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
    Good God people. What has Cassel done to deserve ANOTHER chance? That is crazy talk. Releasing him does more for the Chiefs than keeping him at this point.

Hell, I didn't want him from the get go and Pioli trading for him was a HUGE strike one in my book.
    If we draft 2 QB you need a veteran around till the rookies are ready and to help teach them. If we do get Geno he needs a mentor and Cassel would make a good mentor because of his team first attitude and work ethic. I think Cassel will make a good coach in the future. Now do I want him as our savior next year HE11 NO. Anyhow in Andy I trust the QB situation if he wants to keep him around fine.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    No flame here. I've heard they stand to take a big cap hit if they release him.

If Charlie Weis could get a productive season from him, then one would think Reid could also.

Cassel's problem is his track record against teams with winning records. I just can't see him being a Chief after 2013, as it's already been established that he doesn't have consistency when it comes to throwing the football.
    I have heard the opposite. As far as cap hits, his contract was front loaded with Guarantees making his contract favorable to release after three years. He is due like a 3 million dollar oster bonus this year in addition to an increase in his Salary making him close to 10 million cap hit if retained.

I am just picking that up from listening to people on the radio so I have not idea how factual that is. Might actually be from a source I trust very little but can't recall for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    Are you people kidding me? This just in:

MATT CASSEL WAS THE WORST QB IN THE NFL LAST YEAR AND IT WASN'T CLOSE!

Not only that, he has NEVER BEEN GOOD! Stop with this "Give him a chance!" nonsense and cut the loser and say good riddance along with Pioli!
    This is opinion, not Fact, but he was pretty bad and statistically horrible in regards to turn overs. Blaine Gabbert was worse QB among starters. Brady Quinn's stats proves that he was much worse than Cassel. Then again, I watched every game and thought the Play calling was horrific and the entire offense looked like crap except for J. Charles. I mean running on 3rd and 8 down by 7 with three minutes left in a game. Come one. They were specially horrific from the 30 to goal. I saw a completely different Cassel from three years ago and know coaching ruined him. He may be completely broken Mentally, but is a very servicable Back up/competition for the Soon to be starter for the Chiefs.

Fact of the matter, and I think this is why many people are saying to give him another shot. This team will need a veteran QB on the team. Not to be named Starter, but someone as a back/mentor/competition for a drafted Qb. Name who you will replace Cassel to fill this role without your biased hatred for sucking the last two years.

Matt Flynn - He is Matt Cassel, Jr and will require a draft pick of some significance to acquire.

Michael Vick - UH is it no coincidence that Andy Reid had two horrible years leading up to his firing at Philly with Vick as his QB. There is more to it yes, but the guy was competing with Cassel in turn overs, which Philly could never over come. I dont see any reason anyone would want Vick here, other than his athletic ability that Reid has tried to control by making him a pocket passer. Which was great the one year that got Vick his contract and forced Reid to stick with him and then fired for.

Really there is no Veteran QB out there without making some kind of block buster type of trade better than Cassel. I understand fans turned on him for obvious reasons, but the acceptance you are hearing from people now to give him a secon chance is people seeing that realistically is very probable he stays and they are mentally preparing themselve to accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    I have heard the opposite. As far as cap hits, his contract was front loaded with Guarantees making his contract favorable to release after three years. He is due like a 3 million dollar oster bonus this year in addition to an increase in his Salary making him close to 10 million cap hit if retained.

I am just picking that up from listening to people on the radio so I have not idea how factual that is. Might actually be from a source I trust very little but can't recall for sure.
    If this is correct, then there's no reason to keep him under that contract & it should be restructured. He simply cannot throw the football consistently well.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 01-10-2013 at 02:06 PM.

I don't see any way he comes back with the same contract. He is either getting cut or restructuring. With a reasonable contract, I wouldn't mind him here under a legit competition, or purely as a backup.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast