Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Andy Reid fan from Philly

Default Andy Reid fan from Philly

Hello all. I'm new here. Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a huge Andy Reid fan from Philly, and having been disappointed in the way the Philadelphia media and fan base had treated him for 14 years, I guess that makes me a Chiefs fan. Still an Eagles fan, so I guess I'm just fortunate to have two favorite teams now. I look forward to studying and getting to know your team in the off season and watching the Chiefs play this fall. I hope to learn a little more about the players on this site and maybe I can share some info and insight with regard to coach Reid, who I know a lot about. Go Chiefs!

Hello Francisco, and I understand where you are coming from regarding Reid. I had felt the same way as a 10-year old kid back in 1970 when the Chiefs let RB Mike Garrett go to SD after the 4th game of that season & had nothing but the utmost respect for the Chargers while Garrett was playing for them ( and incidentally, Garrett scored 7 TD's in the next 6 meetings between the Chiefs-Chargers ).

Welcome to the group.

On the offensive side it starts with Jamal Charles one of if not the best RB in the AFC, WR as a group are not that good too many dropped balls that they get their hands on. I watch other teams and wonder why our WR can't make catches like that.

Defense has a few stars on it OLB Tamba Hali, S Eric Berry and ILB Derrick Johnson all made the Pro Bowl The other OLB Justin Huston is starting to come into his own.

There are a few others that can play on both sides of the ball. I think next year we will have a much better team if Andy chooses good assistants not necessary playoffs, even only if the coaches have better game plans and play calling.

Welcome! Glad we got Reid!! Once a Chiefs Fan, its hard to be much else! This offseason should be very exciting! Not only for the Chiefs , but a lot of teams. I think Andy is a great fit for us and look foward to the future Super Bowl apearances!

Thanks Dave! As a Penn State grad, I know all about Tamba Hali. Look forward to rooting for him at the NFL level.

Don't let Philly area Reid haters scare you into thinking that Reid will waste Charles' talent. The myth that Reid won't run the ball is simply untrue. If you look up the stats, Andy Reid's Eagles run the ball to within one or two percentage points of the league average every year and have always had RBs (LeSean McCoy, Brian Westbrook and Duce Staley) ranked near the league leaders.

Charles is lightening quick with good hands. Reid will be brilliant at playing chess with the opposing defensive coordinator, moving Charles around the field and creating mismatches in the passing game. They go into nickel, then he'll give it to Charles who will have one less LB to contend with. They go into base, he'll move him all over the place and get him isolated on a safety or LB who will be a physical mismatch and Reid will know how to exploit it. You guys will put up some big numbers this year. Just need a QB, as you all already know.

Francisco, that's fun to say.

Quote Originally Posted by FranciscoD'anconia View Post
    Thanks Dave! As a Penn State grad, I know all about Tamba Hali. Look forward to rooting for him at the NFL level.

Don't let Philly area Reid haters scare you into thinking that Reid will waste Charles' talent. The myth that Reid won't run the ball is simply untrue. If you look up the stats, Andy Reid's Eagles run the ball to within one or two percentage points of the league average every year and have always had RBs (LeSean McCoy, Brian Westbrook and Duce Staley) ranked near the league leaders.

Charles is lightening quick with good hands. Reid will be brilliant at playing chess with the opposing defensive coordinator, moving Charles around the field and creating mismatches in the passing game. They go into nickel, then he'll give it to Charles who will have one less LB to contend with. They go into base, he'll move him all over the place and get him isolated on a safety or LB who will be a physical mismatch and Reid will know how to exploit it. You guys will put up some big numbers this year. Just need a QB, as you all already know.
    Excellent post bro! Welcome to the crowd. My only concern is Andy Reid of the last two years. Would you say he had total control of personnel like he will have here? And if so what can you attribute the poor showing the last two years. Also concerning was the moving Castillo to DC?

Welcome to the Crowd and Go Chiefs!

Yeah I can shed some light on all of that.

First, he actually will have less control in KC. From what I gathered at the press conf, there will be a yet to be determined GM who will be considered on an equal level to Reid and they will both report to the owner. In Philly, GM Howie Rosemen reported to Reid who only reported to the owner.

The Juan Castillo thing is interesting. Here's what happened. In 2010 the Eagles got almost no sack production from their defensive line, even though the team was otherwise very good. To make matters worse, they saw two players who they had just cut (Jason Babin and Chris Clemons) go on to put up double digit sack numbers and make probowls with their new teams. Was this poor talent evaluation or poor coaching on the defensive line? They concluded that it was poor coaching on the defensive line, so they fired their defensive line coach and defensive coordinator and made it a priority to get a good defensive line coach.

They made the mistake of getting the line coach before the coordinator. They brought in Jim Washburn who had a track record of coaching all pros like Haynesworth, Jevon Kearse and Jason Babin and turning them into all pros, while those same guys struggled with other teams. So they figured he'd work the same magic in Philly. They hired him before getting a defensive coordinator, which was the mistake. Reid interviewed like 12 candidates for the def coordinator job, but the first 11 turned them down because they didn't want Washburn on their staff (he's a bit of a jerk, supposedly). Reid was stuck with his 12th choice, Juan Castillo.

That having been said, Castillo was made to be the scapegoat, but it wasn't really his fault to the degree that the media makes it out to be. Washburn being a divisive locker room presence, combined with over priced, washed up free agent bums like Nnamdi Asomougha, Jason Babin, Dominic Rogers Cromartie, etc... and others, all had a lot more to do with the defensive collapse than Juan Castillo.

One more thing, about the last two years. Reid had a couple of bad drafts in between the glory years and the most recent draft. This is a big reason why they were bad the last two seasons. However, owner Jeff Lurie hinted in his news conference where he released coach Reid, that former head of operations Joe Banner had a lot to do with picking the players in those drafts and that in the most recent draft Reid and new GM Roseman picked the players. As bad as the Eagles were this last season, their rookie class was the best of any I've ever seen all my years following the Eagles, and I go back to the Dick Vermeil era in the late 70s. This was a monster rookie class. Whatever he did to address how he drafts players, it worked. But several other poor drafts prior to that, that Banner supposedly had more to do with, resulted in not having enough guys in their prime.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast