Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nick Foles/Chip Kelly

Default Nick Foles/Chip Kelly

With Chip Kelly becoming the new head coach of the Eagles, that could mean the end of Nick Foles' career in Philadelphia. He absolutely does not fit the Chip Kelly offensive system. He does however fit the Andy Reid system and has the tools to become a potential franchise QB. Interesting trade possibility there. Also, Mel Kiper (for what it's worth - don't laugh) projects NO QBs going in the first round in his mock draft. Now that's a little ridiculous, but saying that none would have top 10 pick grades might be a bit more reasonable. I see a trade down or drafting a non QB with the top pick and then taking one in the 2nd round, or a trade up with the 2nd round pick for a QB. Foles or Kolb plus a rookie taken in the latter part of the first round or early 2nd round that Reid identifies as his guy, could be a good combination.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I hope that Geno blows everyone away at the combine, and all the other QBs suck. If there is only one QB that stands out this year,it makes the #1 pick that much more valuable, for trade down, or make it worth it for us to take Geno.

Why does it have to be Geno ?
    If just one stands out and the rest don't doesn't matter who it is.

Quote Originally Posted by FranciscoD'anconia View Post
    With Chip Kelly becoming the new head coach of the Eagles, that could mean the end of Nick Foles' career in Philadelphia. He absolutely does not fit the Chip Kelly offensive system. He does however fit the Andy Reid system and has the tools to become a potential franchise QB. Interesting trade possibility there. Also, Mel Kiper (for what it's worth - don't laugh) projects NO QBs going in the first round in his mock draft. Now that's a little ridiculous, but saying that none would have top 10 pick grades might be a bit more reasonable. I see a trade down or drafting a non QB with the top pick and then taking one in the 2nd round, or a trade up with the 2nd round pick for a QB. Foles or Kolb plus a rookie taken in the latter part of the first round or early 2nd round that Reid identifies as his guy, could be a good combination.
    I certainly hope the Chiefs trade down and not reach with the #1 pick. Foles might be alright for a stop gap, but not Kolb. He has shown nothing.
    Keeping my britches between the ditches! :character00182:

Nick Foles availability will probably be decided in the next week or two. Mike Vick is guaranteed 3 mil for next year if he is on the Eagles roster still on Feb 6th. So if he doesnt get cut, traded or restructure by then, the Eagles are taking a big hit financially.

Source: Chip Kelly, Mike Vick meet, no resolution imminent | ProFootballTalk

To be honest, I think Foles is more than a stop gap. Don't be fooled by the 3rd round pick thing. A) it was one of the strongest QB drafts ever and B) he only slipped because he doesn't run well and that's the trend now. In an Andy Reid offense, you don't have to run well and he has everything else - accuracy, size, arm strength, leadership, goes through his progressions and makes the right reads, etc...

To be honest, I think Foles is more than a stop gap. Don't be fooled by the 3rd round pick thing. A) it was one of the strongest QB drafts ever and B) he only slipped because he doesn't run well and that's the trend now. In an Andy Reid offense, you don't have to run well and he has everything else - accuracy, size, arm strength, leadership, goes through his progressions and makes the right reads, etc...
    Would Philly part with him? Understand where you're coming from when you say that he's not a "Chip Kelly" type of guy, but I would still think that Vick would be the more expendable of the two. If Reid set his gunsights on Foles, would think that Philly's front office would see that coming from a mile away and want us to pay a dear price for him.

There's a clip of him playing the Patriots on youtube (unfortunately NSFW because of the eminem song, or I would've posted a link) and he looks great.

It's possible that Philly parts with all of their QBs, just like KC will probably part with all of their QBs. Vick is too old to run the Chip Kelly offense and neither Foles nor Edwards have the speed to run it. Now, that having been said, they're not going to give Foles away for nothing. He probably has late first round value, so you'd have to give something up.

Also, the article, while is was very good, almost under sold him a few times. For example the "bad offensive line" was mentioned along with the injuries to Jackson, McCoy and Avant. He didn't mention that the offensive line had 4 out of 5 starters out for the year with injuries. Also didn't mention that the reliable (almost pro bowl level) TE Brent Celek was out too. Also, I think he mentioned the "7 games Foles played in" and "McCoy was out for 4 games and Jackson out for 3". If you include the games they were injured, it was actually not 3 and 4 out of 7, it was more like 3.5 and 4.5 out of 6.5. I mean, Foles really had NOTHING to work with. The reason he had to throw so much was because they were down all the time, which means the other team knew they were throwing. He really did play quite well.

It's possible that Philly parts with all of their QBs, just like KC will probably part with all of their QBs. Vick is too old to run the Chip Kelly offense and neither Foles nor Edwards have the speed to run it. Now, that having been said, they're not going to give Foles away for nothing. He probably has late first round value, so you'd have to give something up.

Also, the article, while is was very good, almost under sold him a few times. For example the "bad offensive line" was mentioned along with the injuries to Jackson, McCoy and Avant. He didn't mention that the offensive line had 4 out of 5 starters out for the year with injuries. Also didn't mention that the reliable (almost pro bowl level) TE Brent Celek was out too. Also, I think he mentioned the "7 games Foles played in" and "McCoy was out for 4 games and Jackson out for 3". If you include the games they were injured, it was actually not 3 and 4 out of 7, it was more like 3.5 and 4.5 out of 6.5. I mean, Foles really had NOTHING to work with. The reason he had to throw so much was because they were down all the time, which means the other team knew they were throwing. He really did play quite well.

This is a stretch and highly unlikely, but what IF the Eagles offered Foles for a swap of the #1 and #4 overall positions? Thoughts? Good idea or do you think it sucks?

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    This is a stretch and highly unlikely, but what IF the Eagles offered Foles for a swap of the #1 and #4 overall positions? Thoughts? Good idea or do you think it sucks?
    I would be for it knowing that they would take Geno and stop the Raiders from getting him.

I would do it in a heartbeat. I would probably take a QB with the 2nd round pick for depth. I wouldn't take Geno, or any QB at 4. IMO, Foles is better than any QB in this draft. I know it sounds ridiculous because he was a 3rd round pick, but A) it was a much better draft and a much better QB draft and B) he slipped and should never have gotten drafted that low.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    I'd do that trade in a heart beat. I was thinking the exact same thing earlier today.

I would do it in a heartbeat. I would probably take a QB with the 2nd round pick for depth. I wouldn't take Geno, or any QB at 4. IMO, Foles is better than any QB in this draft. I know it sounds ridiculous because he was a 3rd round pick, but A) it was a much better draft and a much better QB draft and B) he slipped and should never have gotten drafted that low.
    Foles would be the first QB off the board if he came out this year instead of last year. I don't know if he'd be worth the #1 pick, but DEFINITELY worth a 2nd round pick (which is what the Chiefs would essentially be losing in draft value from #1 to #4).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast