Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nick Foles/Chip Kelly

Default Nick Foles/Chip Kelly

With Chip Kelly becoming the new head coach of the Eagles, that could mean the end of Nick Foles' career in Philadelphia. He absolutely does not fit the Chip Kelly offensive system. He does however fit the Andy Reid system and has the tools to become a potential franchise QB. Interesting trade possibility there. Also, Mel Kiper (for what it's worth - don't laugh) projects NO QBs going in the first round in his mock draft. Now that's a little ridiculous, but saying that none would have top 10 pick grades might be a bit more reasonable. I see a trade down or drafting a non QB with the top pick and then taking one in the 2nd round, or a trade up with the 2nd round pick for a QB. Foles or Kolb plus a rookie taken in the latter part of the first round or early 2nd round that Reid identifies as his guy, could be a good combination.

Quote Originally Posted by swochief View Post
    As long as they still grab one of the top qb's( Wilson would be ideal) i'd be good w/ that.

I'd also like for them to grab a qb every year in the first 3 rounds for at least the next three years or till they it right.
    If they pulled that trade off, it would likely be because Reid was convinced that Foles would be a QBOTF in his offense and behind our OL (which is much better than Philly's). In that scenario, I would see them maybe picking up someone in the second, or third, to use as a backup.

Btw, the "much better than Philly's" offensive line thing, I assume you mean because of injury. Jason Peters was probably the best offensive lineman in all of football, and was out for the entire year with an achilles. Jason Kelce was being touted as a future probowl player and Todd Herrimans is a borderline probowl alternate type, all out for the year. That's the only reason their line was bad. With those three in, plus Evan Mathis who is good, it's actually a pretty good line. But yes, Foles could definitely be a franchise QB with the right coaching and the right players around him.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    If they pulled that trade off, it would likely be because Reid was convinced that Foles would be a QBOTF in his offense and behind our OL (which is much better than Philly's). In that scenario, I would see them maybe picking up someone in the second, or third, to use as a backup.

I'd be good w/ a later qb pick too , for me T Wilson is best option.

Quote Originally Posted by FranciscoD'anconia View Post
    And as far as your hypothetical trade, Chiefs trade #1 overall for #4 overall, #36 overall, Nick Foles and other picks? I like the thinking, but Philly would never do that. That's WAY too much. Foles is really good. Maybe #1 overall and something else for Foles and #4 overall, but no way Philly gives up more than that.
    If you assume Foles is a 2nd round quality, and using the trade value chart (http://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php), Philly is actually winning out.

The #1 is worth 3000, and the #4 is worth 1800, which means Philly has to give us 1200 points. The #36 is worth like 550 or so points.

So assuming Foles is worth less than the 26th pick (which if he were worth more in Philly's eyes, they would probably try to make him work) it would work out evenly or in Philly's favor. They may need to make some more swaps of late round picks, or put in a conditional clause for some picks next year.

Granted it is all hypothetical, and who knows if they still use the trade value chart anymore.

I'd KILL for Foles!!

Swap 1st round picks with Philly for Foles!! Done and Done!! They get Geno before Jax gets a chance. We get to trade down and take BPA and get our QB in one felled swoop.

#KCBestpossiblescenario

#HorribletradeforPhilly

NOOOOOOOO You do NOT want Nnamdi Asomougha! He is terrible. I watched every Eagles game AT LEAST twice last year. Nnamdi Asomougha is the worst DB I have EVER seen in my life. I'm not exaggerating. I don't mean "he's lost a step". I don't mean "Eh, he's not worth his contract." I don't mean, "He's not as good in zone as he is in man." I mean, he is the worst DB I have ever seen. He's slow. He doesn't try. He plays with no confidence. He takes bad angles, won't tackle, isn't physical, has horrible ball skills. Can't play zone. Can't play man. They weren't misusing him. He stinks! Profootballfocus ranked him as something like 193 out of 201 DBs in the NFL. That includes several dozen players who probably only played a few games and were cut, or only were added because of injury. I don't care how good he was 10 years ago, he is currently the worst DB in the NFL.
    I saw a lot of him when he was in Oak, he was dominant. I haven't seen him play much in Philly. It sounds like he has lost motivation and discipline, which sounds like coaching to me. All that says to me is that he can probably be had for a lot cheaper than what he is worth. Worst case scenario, we bring him in, restructure his contract, and he competes with Arenas or a rookie for the starting CB position. I also see him getting some motivation out of playing against the Raiders 2x a year.

That having been said, thanks for the evaluation from someone who has watched him recently.

As far as Asomougha, I don't think it's coaching. I'm watching him and he is just slow. He doesn't have the athleticism of a 25 year old. He's really just lost a step and is not the same guy.

As far as the trade value chart, yeah, you make a really good point about the enormous value of the #1 overall pick, but I think that that assumes that there is an Andrew Luck in the draft. With this particular draft, I don't think anyone really believes that there is a 1200 point difference between who goes 1st and who goes 4th. Although, you kind of need to see how it plays out after the combine and all that. Just based on my own humble opinion, I would trade #1 for #4 and Foles in a heartbeat and probably even throw something else in if I had to.

As far as Asomougha, I don't think it's coaching. I'm watching him and he is just slow. He doesn't have the athleticism of a 25 year old. He's really just lost a step and is not the same guy.

As far as the trade value chart, yeah, you make a really good point about the enormous value of the #1 overall pick, but I think that that assumes that there is an Andrew Luck in the draft. With this particular draft, I don't think anyone really believes that there is a 1200 point difference between who goes 1st and who goes 4th. Although, you kind of need to see how it plays out after the combine and all that. Just based on my own humble opinion, I would trade #1 for #4 and Foles in a heartbeat and probably even throw something else in if I had to.
    True about the trade value chart, except last years draft actually shifted the number one and two pick to a much higher value. Unless you think Washington way overpaid for RG3. This chart was created in the 90s, who knows if it is still used or how much it has changed.

But regarding the Foles trade, I would be ok with Foles plus maybe a mid round pick. I wouldn't hate the idea of straight up Swapping picks for Foles, but I think Philly would be getting the best value out of the deal, even though we would be getting a QBOTF, which I am assuming, once again, that if Reid wanted him enough to trade for him, he would be probably be worth it in the end.
    Last edited by jap1; 01-16-2013 at 08:50 PM.

There doesn't need to be an Andrew Luck in the draft. It just takes one team to fall in love with a guy and decide he's the QB for them... Just one. When it comes to QBs, the only advantage the Chiefs have if they want to trade the pick is the fact that Jax is right behind them. If someone really likes a QB, they're not going to want to allow Jax to have a shot at stealing "their guy."

The more I think about it, the more I hope that Geno blows everyone away at the combine, and all the other QBs suck. If there is only one QB that stands out this year,it makes the #1 pick that much more valuable, for trade down, or make it worth it for us to take Geno.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast