Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CHIEFS workout Rudy Carpenter

Default CHIEFS workout Rudy Carpenter

who? you ask....a FA QB from TB and dallas, mostly 3rd string and practice squad

Rudy Carpenter (QB)
    Height: 6'2"
    Weight: 218
    College:Arizona State
    Conference:Pac-12
    Hometown: Westlake, CA
    High School: Westlake

Choose QuarterbacksBomar, RhettFreeman, JoshSanchez, MarkStafford, MatthewWhite, Pat
    1. Overview
    2. Analysis
    OverviewThe best word to describe Carpenter is "gutty." He finished his career with 43 consecutive starts, which helped him become one of the most productive quarterbacks in Pac-10 history with 10,491 passing yards and 81 career touchdowns.

After leading the Sun Devils to a share of the Pac-10 championship in 2007 and emerging as one of the nation's most consistent passers, Carpenter and the rest of his teammates struggled through a disappointing 2008 campaign. His own statistics weren't as impressive as expected (2,493 yards, 16 TDs, nine INTs), nor was his team, a preseason top 15 pick that stumbled to a 5-7 record.

Carpenter lacks the monster arm every NFL team is looking for, but his toughness, mobility and accuracy in the short to medium range should make him an interesting second-day option for teams using the West Coast offense. Had an arm span of 31 3/4 inches and a hand span of 8 5/8 inches at the combine.

High SchoolA 2004 graduate of Westlake (Calif.) High School...the Los Angeles Daily News Offensive Player of the Year...a pre- and postseason All-America selection by Prepstar Magazine...listed as the No. 67 player in California by SuperPrep Magazine...listed as the No. 36 player in California and a preseason All-American by SuperPrep Magazine...rated as the No. 20 quarterback in the nation by rivals.com...played in the Cali-Florida High School All-Star game...statistics as a senior included 2,705 passing yards (163 completions on 262 attempts) and 36 touchdowns and only six interceptions...also rushed for 626 yards and seven scores...Led Westlake to a Division IV Championship and a 14-0 season...lists that season as his most exciting sports experience...as a junior, was all-state, all-league, all-county, All-C.I.F. and league Most Valuable Player...completed 295 passes on 408 pass attempts for 3,200 yards and 32 touchdowns as a junior...also had 800 yards rushing and six rushing touchdowns...also was the Most Valuable Player for Newbury Park's baseball and basketball teams as well...played at Newbury Park High School before his senior season...coached by Jim Benkert (same as current Sun Devil Josh Golden).

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange.

AnalysisPositives: Tough quarterback. Has played behind a leaky offensive line throughout his career and has absorbed a lot of punishment. Not a traditional running threat, but is a creative, alert scrambler who can buy some time escaping the rush to complete the pass. Keeps his eyes downfield despite heavy pressure. Acclimated quickly to new offense and has experience as a drop-back and shotgun passer. Scans the field efficiently. Gets good depth on his drop back and has a very quick set up and delivery. Good short- to medium-range accuracy -- especially for the quick slants, outs and square-ins necessary for the West Coast Offense. Flashes the touch to place the ball between defenders. Throws a very catchable ball. Consistently places passes where only his receivers can get them. Extremely competitive. Added 15 pounds of muscle during the 2008 spring.

Negatives: Relies more on his accuracy and understanding of the offense, rather than a monster arm to complete passes. Lacks the arm for a traditional deep pass offense. Will telegraph his passes by locking onto a receiver, and lacks the arm strength to zip passes through tight windows. Won the respect of his teammates with his toughness, but has a ****y, gunslinger mentality that has drawn criticism from some.

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange.
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

i just watched a video of his preseason action w/the cowboys a few years ago. had a nice TD drive against the vikes. mobile, quick decisions. fast release and accurate, could compete for a roster spot

May just be off season fodder for competition but at least they are bringing in qbs.
    At least if he does have a gunslinger mentality he might push someone who is reluctant to throw into tight spots to take some chances.
    Gunslingers do cost you some interceptions during a season but defenses have to respect you will try and makes them adjust accordingly.

How well does he perform against starters?

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    How well does he perform against starters?
    i don't know, how well did cassell and quinn do ??

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    I like it!

Exactly my point, I don't want another QB experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Exactly my point, I don't want another QB experiment.
    I don't think Brady, Brees or Rogers are available, most everyone else would be an experiment

I don't think Brady, Brees or Rogers are available, most everyone else would be an experiment
    Yessir! Any QB we do end up with is gonna be experiment. Even if its Flynn or foles the ones that have had success are on lock. Crap even if Michael Vick comes at this point in his career is an experiment.

Fair enough but, why trade one experiment for another. I say, in the absence of a quality QB option, why not pour our resources into making us better in spite of our QB situation instead of chasing after another sub par QB? It just seems like a waste of time to me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast