Thread: Vikings Trading Percy Harvin

Default Vikings Trading Percy Harvin

Just saw this on Yahoo. Was wondering if anyone thinks the Chiefs should think about a trade to get Percy? Does anyone think he would help our team? If so, how much should we be willing to trade to get him?

Here is the link

http://www.examiner.com/article/harv...ports-indicate

He would help... but at what cost? Mid round draft pick? Sure. Anything higher? Nope. Mardy Gillyard was just signed and only has a couple seasons in the league. If he can get things figured out, he's basically the same type of player. I don't think Harvin represents too much more of and upside over McCluster. With Wylie, McCluster, and now Gillyard on this team, the Chiefs would basically have to admit that none of those players are capable of filling that fast-twitch role and that Harvin is worth the draft pick bounty... I don't a see a Harvin acquisition presenting great value. He is a top-shelf name, but hasn't produced to his hype level.

He is a upgrade of what we have now. He was on pace to go to probowl and even mvp honors before he got injured this year. Besides bowe we dont have anyone thats comes close to him. Mccluster still hasnt shown much and havent been really impressed. He fakes himself out amd falls down on his own. Has anybody noticed that? Anyways i wouldnt give up a 1st for him. Maybe buttom of second round but were top 2nd rnd so id say our 3rnd pick but i believes hes worth more than thatso i think it would take more. Just dont say mccluster compares to harvin. Mcluster doesnt scare me. Iv seen harvin play and he can play.

Actaully what about we trade bowe for harvin? Though i know bowe contract status would he a problem. Bowe is going to walk. We shoukd have let him walk last year and saved the money to extend contracts to albert.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    He would help... but at what cost? Mid round draft pick? Sure. Anything higher? Nope. Mardy Gillyard was just signed and only has a couple seasons in the league. If he can get things figured out, he's basically the same type of player. I don't think Harvin represents too much more of and upside over McCluster. With Wylie, McCluster, and now Gillyard on this team, the Chiefs would basically have to admit that none of those players are capable of filling that fast-twitch role and that Harvin is worth the draft pick bounty... I don't a see a Harvin acquisition presenting great value. He is a top-shelf name, but hasn't produced to his hype level.
    GTFO here w/ Gilyard the same type of player as Harvin. Mardy Gilyard has bounced around the league, played in 13 games and has 8 receptions.

I would trade a 2nd for Percy Harvin in a heartbeat. Harvin led all WRs last year with 22 broken tackles. He PLAYED IN 9 GAMES! He's exactly what the Chiefs wanted McCluster to be, only good. He also has 5 KR TDs in his career.
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 02-11-2013 at 04:33 PM.

We cant trade Bowe unless we sign him to a new contract or tag him.

I don't a see a Harvin acquisition presenting great value. He is a top-shelf name, but hasn't produced to his hype level.
    Harvin has 280 receptions, 3302 yards and 20 TDs through his first 4 years. He also didn't play 7 games this year. So I did a search on ProFootballReference to see what other players have posted receptions, yards, and TD number higher than this in their first 4 seasons. Here are the players:

Moss, Holt, Boldin, Fitzgerald, Sterling Sharpe, Isaac Bruce, Marvin Harrison, Chad Johnson, Andre Rison, Keyshawn Johnson, Marques Colston, Brandon Marshall, and Al Toon. 13 other players. Harvin also has 107 carries for 683 yards (6.4 ypc) and 4 rushing TDs in his career.

Players that have 5 kick return TDs in their first 5 seasons? Him and Josh Cribbs.

I think you're significantly underselling Percy Harvin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    GTFO here w/ Gilyard the same type of player as Harvin. Mardy Gilyard has bounced around the league, played in 13 games and has 8 receptions.

I would trade a 2nd for Percy Harvin in a heartbeat. Harvin led all WRs last year with 22 broken tackles. He PLAYED IN 9 GAMES! He's exactly what the Chiefs wanted McCluster to be, only good. He also has 5 KR TDs in his career.
    lol They're both 5'11, 190lbs and make a living as fast-twitch type WRs. That's all I was saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Harvin has 280 receptions, 3302 yards and 20 TDs through his first 4 years. He also didn't play 7 games this year. So I did a search on ProFootballReference to see what other players have posted receptions, yards, and TD number higher than this in their first 4 seasons. Here are the players:

Moss, Holt, Boldin, Fitzgerald, Sterling Sharpe, Isaac Bruce, Marvin Harrison, Chad Johnson, Andre Rison, Keyshawn Johnson, Marques Colston, Brandon Marshall, and Al Toon. 13 other players. Harvin also has 107 carries for 683 yards (6.4 ypc) and 4 rushing TDs in his career.

Players that have 5 kick return TDs in their first 5 seasons? Him and Josh Cribbs.

I think you're significantly underselling Percy Harvin.
    I could very well be underselling him. I don't know everything about every player in the league, unfortunately. However, most of what I remember about Harvin is negative. Like invasive surgery during his college career and then a broken ankle or something keeping him out of the SEC title game and then playing on it, risking his career in the national championship. Then, the guy tested positive for weed at the combine. Since then, he's been on his death bed twice with some kind of illnesses and then had some serious migraine issues a couple seasons ago. Then, just this past season, he only played half the season. I'm sure there's more I'm missing, but that just doesn't seem like a player I'd personally be willing to give up the 34th pick for. Our compensation pick in the 3rd? Maybe. But I wouldn't like it.

If he's worth so much, why is a team like the Vikings who are desperate for WR help willing to let the guy go? Why would we replace Bowe with this guy when Bowe has had 4 1000 yard seasons and Harvin hasn't had a single one? Anything higher than our comp pick would be a bad trade, IMO.

lol They're both 5'11, 190lbs and make a living as fast-twitch type WRs. That's all I was saying.

I could very well be underselling him. I don't know everything about every player in the league, unfortunately. However, most of what I remember about Harvin is negative. Like invasive surgery during his college career and then a broken ankle or something keeping him out of the SEC title game and then playing on it, risking his career in the national championship. Then, the guy tested positive for weed at the combine. Since then, he's been on his death bed twice with some kind of illnesses and then had some serious migraine issues a couple seasons ago. Then, just this past season, he only played half the season. I'm sure there's more I'm missing, but that just doesn't seem like a player I'd personally be willing to give up the 34th pick for. Our compensation pick in the 3rd? Maybe. But I wouldn't like it.

If he's worth so much, why is a team like the Vikings who are desperate for WR help willing to let the guy go? Why would we replace Bowe with this guy when Bowe has had 4 1000 yard seasons and Harvin hasn't had a single one? Anything higher than our comp pick would be a bad trade, IMO.
    I'll agree w/ you, there is definitely some baggage. I think that I'm optimistic a chance of scenery would make things better. I could definitely be wrong. And sorry, I misunderstood your post about Gilyard. He sucks though, lol.

I think Harvin is a great player that is definitely worth a 2nd rounder from a straight talent perspective. Now we could also draft Tavon Austin w/ our 2nd rounder and hope he is the the same. It's just much easier to place the risk on a guy that has done well at the NFL level (and is only 24) but has had some character concerns than place it on a relatively unknown guy.

Honestly, the thing that bothers me the MOST about Harvin is the migraines. That's not something that gets better with time playing a collision sport and a collision position. History of head issues bother me in this sport.