Re-sign Pitoitua
    Re-sign Colquitt

Free Agent Signings:

WR- Gregg Jennings
    TE- Jared Cook
    OG- Andy Levitre
    LB- Phillip Wheeler

Trades:

Trade 2nd round pick to Minnesota who target the best QB available for picks 52 and 83 (3rd rd).

Trade pick 52 to the Eagles for QB Nick Foles.

Draft:

1st Round
    LT Luke Joekel Texas A&M
    The Chiefs replace Branden Albert with a less expensive upgrade in Luke Joekel. They get better value with this pick than if they had decided to take a QB #1 overall. Joekel fits into a line that boasts Jon Asamoah, Rodney Hudson, Andy Levitre, and Eric Winston with depth provided by in Stephenson and Allen.

3rd Round
    3a.
    LB Khaseem Greene Rutgers
    He's a play-making, game changing LB who was also the back-to-back Big East defensive Player of the year. Greene had arguably the best junior and senior seasons of ANY Big East player. It's unknown as to which flavor of the 3-4 defense we'll be running, but it's a pretty good bet that we'll need LB help no matter what. One Derrick Johnson, one of the great values Greene offers is his versatility and ability to be extremely useful in ANY type of defensive scheme.

3rd Round
    3b. (from Vikings)
    RB Marcus Lattimore South Carolina
    The Chiefs have decent depth behind Charles and this pick is probably superfluous, but c'mon... the best running back in this class is still on the board in the 4th round. There's very little downside to this selection. Yes, he's a risk having had 2 knee surgeries in the past 2 seasons. Gotta couple names for you though: Willis McGahee and Frank Gore. Both of those guys were in the same boat and have had pretty successful NFL careers. I wouldn't consider this player too much of an injury risk considering the circumstances that occurred to cause his injury. Lattimore is 6'0, 232 lbs and could essentially give the Chiefs a Jamaal Charles/Adrian Peterson 1-2 punch for the foreseeable future. Talk about a change of pace back. Can you imagine taking a beating from Lattimore for 6 to 8 plays and then chasing Charles 40 yards and then getting hit in the mouth from Lattimore the next play? ...wow.

3c. (compensation for Carr)
    S Bacarri Rambo Georgia
    The Chiefs need some stability next to Eric Berry. Rambo is a ball-hawking FS that would fit perfectly next to Berry... and let's be honest... that's a badass football name.

4th Round
    QB Tyler Bray Tennessee
    Tyler Bray is arguably the most talented QB in the 2013 crop. He's foregoing his senior year at Tennessee where he would probably be better served in his development. Bray is a great draft-and-develop prospect who would probably benefit greatly from sitting for a couple seasons to learn Andy Reid's system. The only problem I see with this pick is that Bray is as close to a statue in the pocket as there could possibly be and there haven't been too many of those drafted by Reid. But this is MY mock and I think Bray could be a good pick for the Chiefs if they can protect him.

5th
    DB Tyrann Mathieu LSU (Sat out a year)
    Off the field issues should not scare anyone away from top 5 talent in the 5th round. We need another play-maker in the secondary and you couldn't ask for a better one than the "Honey Badger" in the 5th round. (**may be worth a higher pick as we get closer to the draft)

6th Round
    WR Marquise Goodwin Texas
    Olympic athlete with elite speed and play-making ability. Sounds like a good WR option to throw in the mix at WR, KR, and PR.

7th Round
    WR Uzoma Nwachukwu TX A&M
    Good WR this late in the draft is never bad. You should always be on the lookout for playmakers in the last couple rounds of the draft. Nwachukwu and Goodwin present good upside for late round draft picks and if nothing else should endear themselves to the special teams coaches.

Assuming the players are available, I really like the first 6 picks. The Chiefs will have a gluttony of WRs if they re-sign Dwayne Bowe, so I could be persuaded to take other players in the 6th and 7th rounds. Finding play-makers should be the priority and not necessarily trying to find players to plug holes that late. I think you're looking at 5 starter coming out of this group if you include Foles. Lattimore will have the luxury of sitting as long as he needs to heal because of Jamaal Charles. Bray has arguably the most upside of any QB in this draft. Letting him sit and develop would be great for him. There's a little risk here, but when you look at Joekel, Lattimore (injury), Mathieu (immaturity), and Bray, there were absolutely scenarios that could've played out over this past season that could've seen each of these guys taken in the top 10 overall in this draft class. Talent is talent is talent and when we could take the next Adrian Peterson in the 3rd or a shut down, ball-hawking, play-making DB in the 5th, you spring at the chance... risk be damned! We're not talking about 3000 point gambles here like Geno Smith #1 overall. These picks cost less that 300 points... you can afford to take risks with these picks.

To summarise

We drafted two high level LT prospects in Round 2 and Round 3 in the 2012 draft.

We picked up a Top 3 Right Tackle in free agency in Eric Winston in 2012.

We have a top 10 LT in Brandon Albert who has expressed that he wants to come back in 2013 and be with this team.

And people think we need to spend a #1 on a guy who wasn't even the best offensive tackle on his college team?

Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post
    That's very true. But the general idea seems to be that there is no Luck or RG3 in this draft. Last year was a once in a decade QB class. This class very bad at all, obviously not up to the standard of last years, but absolutely not a bad class. My point is that even thought they have all-pro Left Tackles, they are still at the bottom of the league. Yes the browns have swung many times and missed almost every time, but if you dont swing at all, there's no chance you'll hit. The chiefs haven't drafted a QB in the first round in 30 years. That's an awfully long time to not even try.
    This point that you're making is drawing a conclusion by looking at just one piece of the puzzle. Do you HONESTLY believe the Cleveland Browns are a bad team BECAUSE they drafted Joe Thomas? Because THAT'S you're argument... and it's a HORRIBLE one. The Cleveland Browns are at the bottom of the league because they cannot evaluate QB talent and waste first round picks on poor QB's who don't deserve the selection. If you are looking at the Browns franchise with an honest eye, you'll realize they're recent failures are based on the fact that they draft a horrible QB in the first round every 5 years or so. They are the PERFECT franchise to support my argument. Tim Couch, Brady Quinn, and now Brandon Weeden. That's not even counting the failures of Colt McCoy, Luke McCown, and Charlie Frye of recent history.

The Browns are not bad BECAUSE they have the best LT in the league... it's because they're taking the buckshot approach to the QB position that you and those who think like you endorse.

Also we already have a Left-tackle in Brandon Albert. There'd be no sense in moving him, letting him walk etc. He has said he wants to stay in Kansas City, and Andy Reid has a history of (re)signing players on the O-line. But say he DOES walk..... By drafting Joekel we aren't even guerenteed we are getting a player as good as Albert. Then we have a rookie LT and still have no QB for him to protect. Don't get me wrong, Im not saying he's not going to be a good player in the NFL, but there's no point having a good protector if there's nobody to protect.

And why NOT draft Geno Smith at #1? We need a quarterback, he's the best one coming out of college.
    The reason you let Albert walk is because he's going to be expensive and missed the last 4 games with a back problem... that's not the kind of LT you invest that kind of coin in when there's NOT a sure-fire QB to be had in the draft, but there IS a franchise LT.

If we were drafting 4th instead of 1st, would you be willing to trade your ENTIRE draft to jump up to #1 overall and select Geno Smith? If you can't say yes to this, then THAT'S why we shouldn't take him #1 overall either.

To summarise

We drafted two high level LT prospects in Round 2 and Round 3 in the 2012 draft.

We picked up a Top 3 Right Tackle in free agency in Eric Winston in 2012.

We have a top 10 LT in Brandon Albert who has expressed that he wants to come back in 2013 and be with this team.

And people think we need to spend a #1 on a guy who wasn't even the best offensive tackle on his college team?

You mean like when we took Branden Albert?

^Argue? It's not really an arguement when the other side doesn't listen. You've never admitted to any of the issues with drafting Joeckel, nor have you admitted to any of the qualities of drafting a QB. It's all about what TC wants, not what the positives could be if the opposite should happen.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Agree with threes. Its all about what tc wants and if you disagree with him then your wrong. Either way you look at it joekel wouldnt be the best scenario non qb pick wise. Best scenerio is to keep albert since we already have him and then draft the DTstar and move him to end. Then thats two spots filled instead of making a hole and filling just ine spot that you just had a great player in.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Boss and Moeaki are good combination when healthy. Jared Cook is probably a better receiving TE than both, but would be a luxury pickup versus some of the more glaring holes this team has in my opinion. If you look at Andy Reid offenses from the past, TE isn't exactly a marquis position anyway. Check out this underwelming list of past Eagles' tight ends.
    http://www.fantasyfootballchallenge....ight-ends.html
    At this point Moeaki has been kind of disappointing to me, there's a lot of factors with the previous regime and the ACL so I'd keep him on the roster and hope he can prove me wrong but I see us with only one TE in Boss right now.

Take a read of this article I came across yesterday

@Jacobs71: Here's @HerbieTeope article on TEs in Andy Reid's system. Must Read http://t.co/YQ2kzsZp

Nothing wrong with Texaschief defending his opinion. Even if he is wrong, lol.

Letting Albert walk, only to replace him with the #1 pick is the equivalent of losing 3000 draft points by letting Albert walk. Not sure why I'm not able to get that point across. We have a good LT, lets keep him. If you are worried about his back, then make him play under the 1yr franchise tag. And sign Bowe to a 3 or 4 year deal.

I think we have to table who we take with the #1 overall pick until after the combine. Lots will change during that process. If after the combine there are still no qb's rated in the top 10, then I might be ok with drafting something other than QB at #1. And I fully expect us to trade for a QB as well which will likely impact our draft strategy.

This is another article discussing the LT conundrum.
    http://arrowheadaddict.com/2013/02/1...-luke-joeckel/

Yeah I'm not a fan of not getting any better by just adding Joeckel/letting Albert walk. I'd rather just let Stephenson have a tryout at LT for a season. The importance of that position is continuing to decline.

I like some of the picks in the mock, like the Mathieu pick. I think Lattimore is a reach in the top of the 3rd round though given his injury history and question marks.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Nothing wrong with Texaschief defending his opinion. Even if he is wrong, lol.

Letting Albert walk, only to replace him with the #1 pick is the equivalent of losing 3000 draft points by letting Albert walk. Not sure why I'm not able to get that point across. We have a good LT, lets keep him. If you are worried about his back, then make him play under the 1yr franchise tag. And sign Bowe to a 3 or 4 year deal.

I think we have to table who we take with the #1 overall pick until after the combine. Lots will change during that process. If after the combine there are still no qb's rated in the top 10, then I might be ok with drafting something other than QB at #1. And I fully expect us to trade for a QB as well which will likely impact our draft strategy.
    Albert is going to want around $10 million a year and had back issues this year and missed the last 4 games. If he is the best LT in the game and misses 1/4 of the games every year, is he still the best? If we draft LT #1 he will get around $4 million so it is a savings of at least $6 million a year against the cap. Sure we do not know how good the LT is in the draft but we do not know how good Albert's back will allow him to be, if he did not have the back problem this year (a contract year by the way) I would be on the keep him band wagon but bad backs, most of the time do not heal themselves and are generally problematic, now he may go on and never miss a game again only time will tell.

So let me get this straight many want to continue to reach in the draft like the last decade and pick Geno instead of picking the best player in the draft. In spite of the fact that most of Poloi drafts people in here were complaining about him reaching in the first round? I will say at this time in the draft process we do not know who will move up and down the draft boards, after the workout days at schools and the combine, so at this time I am just going to wait and see. I also will trust the head office in who ever they draft.

I have said in the past what is the worse that can happen if we don't draft a QB this year and instead of draft BPA? We have another bad year and will get another high draft pick next year which might have better QB in it. If we do draft a QB first and he does not work out, we will not have anything to show for the first pick and it will be at least 2 more years before we can more on and start this all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post
    Albert is going to want around $10 million a year and had back issues this year and missed the last 4 games. If he is the best LT in the game and misses 1/4 of the games every year, is he still the best? If we draft LT #1 he will get around $4 million so it is a savings of at least $6 million a year against the cap. Sure we do not know how good the LT is in the draft but we do not know how good Albert's back will allow him to be, if he did not have the back problem this year (a contract year by the way) I would be on the keep him band wagon but bad backs, most of the time do not heal themselves and are generally problematic, now he may go on and never miss a game again only time will tell.

So let me get this straight many want to continue to reach in the draft like the last decade and pick Geno instead of picking the best player in the draft. In spite of the fact that most of Poloi drafts people in here were complaining about him reaching in the first round? I will say at this time in the draft process we do not know who will move up and down the draft boards, after the workout days at schools and the combine, so at this time I am just going to wait and see. I also will trust the head office in who ever they draft.

I have said in the past what is the worse that can happen if we don't draft a QB this year and instead of draft BPA? We have another bad year and will get another high draft pick next year which might have better QB in it. If we do draft a QB first and he does not work out, we will not have anything to show for the first pick and it will be at least 2 more years before we can more on and start this all over again.
    First, if you have concern about Albert's back, the answer is simple...tag him. Using your logic, we should never pay a good LT, instead just spend a 1st rd pick every four years on a new one assuming every one we draft turns into a good one, otherwise we have to draft one even more often. Free agency isn't an option using your logic because you will have to pay $10mm/yr just like Albert is asking for.

Second, we never spend our cap money anyway so I could care less if we save another $6mm. We haven't cap problems in KC for ages, if ever.

Using the logic of letting good existing players walk after turning them into good players only to spend draft picks to restart the process sounds like a great strategy for maintaining mediocrity.

Finally, lets be honest with ourselves and admit nobody knows what the perfect draft rankings should be. Tom Brady got drafted in the 5th round, Jamarcus Russell was drafted #1 overall. So save the draft value talk. Saying one player should be ranked 7th, while another should be ranked 23rd, while another should be ranked #25 is a bunch if hocus pocus. Does the player have a first round grade? If so, use your first rd pick. If you try to get cute and get maximum value based upon what Mel Kiper or some "draft guru" sees on their crystal ball is a collosal mistake in my opinion.
    Last edited by Coach; 02-12-2013 at 02:04 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast