Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 73

Thread: TC's Valentines Day Mock Draft 2.0

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,708
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 48

    Default TC's Valentines Day Mock Draft 2.0


    0 Not allowed!
    Release Tyson Jackson
    Let Dorsey Walk
    Let Albert Walk
    Re-sign Bowe
    Re-sign Pitoitua
    Re-sign Colquitt

    Free Agent Signings:

    WR- Gregg Jennings
    TE- Jared Cook
    OG- Andy Levitre
    LB- Phillip Wheeler

    Trades:

    Trade 2nd round pick to Minnesota who target the best QB available for picks 52 and 83 (3rd rd).

    Trade pick 52 to the Eagles for QB Nick Foles.


    Draft:

    1st Round
    LT Luke Joekel Texas A&M
    The Chiefs replace Branden Albert with a less expensive upgrade in Luke Joekel. They get better value with this pick than if they had decided to take a QB #1 overall. Joekel fits into a line that boasts Jon Asamoah, Rodney Hudson, Andy Levitre, and Eric Winston with depth provided by in Stephenson and Allen.

    3rd Round
    3a.
    LB Khaseem Greene Rutgers
    He's a play-making, game changing LB who was also the back-to-back Big East defensive Player of the year. Greene had arguably the best junior and senior seasons of ANY Big East player. It's unknown as to which flavor of the 3-4 defense we'll be running, but it's a pretty good bet that we'll need LB help no matter what. One Derrick Johnson, one of the great values Greene offers is his versatility and ability to be extremely useful in ANY type of defensive scheme.

    3rd Round
    3b. (from Vikings)
    RB Marcus Lattimore South Carolina
    The Chiefs have decent depth behind Charles and this pick is probably superfluous, but c'mon... the best running back in this class is still on the board in the 4th round. There's very little downside to this selection. Yes, he's a risk having had 2 knee surgeries in the past 2 seasons. Gotta couple names for you though: Willis McGahee and Frank Gore. Both of those guys were in the same boat and have had pretty successful NFL careers. I wouldn't consider this player too much of an injury risk considering the circumstances that occurred to cause his injury. Lattimore is 6'0, 232 lbs and could essentially give the Chiefs a Jamaal Charles/Adrian Peterson 1-2 punch for the foreseeable future. Talk about a change of pace back. Can you imagine taking a beating from Lattimore for 6 to 8 plays and then chasing Charles 40 yards and then getting hit in the mouth from Lattimore the next play? ...wow.

    3c. (compensation for Carr)
    S Bacarri Rambo Georgia
    The Chiefs need some stability next to Eric Berry. Rambo is a ball-hawking FS that would fit perfectly next to Berry... and let's be honest... that's a badass football name.

    4th Round
    QB Tyler Bray Tennessee
    Tyler Bray is arguably the most talented QB in the 2013 crop. He's foregoing his senior year at Tennessee where he would probably be better served in his development. Bray is a great draft-and-develop prospect who would probably benefit greatly from sitting for a couple seasons to learn Andy Reid's system. The only problem I see with this pick is that Bray is as close to a statue in the pocket as there could possibly be and there haven't been too many of those drafted by Reid. But this is MY mock and I think Bray could be a good pick for the Chiefs if they can protect him.

    5th
    DB Tyrann Mathieu LSU (Sat out a year)
    Off the field issues should not scare anyone away from top 5 talent in the 5th round. We need another play-maker in the secondary and you couldn't ask for a better one than the "Honey Badger" in the 5th round. (**may be worth a higher pick as we get closer to the draft)

    6th Round
    WR Marquise Goodwin Texas
    Olympic athlete with elite speed and play-making ability. Sounds like a good WR option to throw in the mix at WR, KR, and PR.

    7th Round
    WR Uzoma Nwachukwu TX A&M
    Good WR this late in the draft is never bad. You should always be on the lookout for playmakers in the last couple rounds of the draft. Nwachukwu and Goodwin present good upside for late round draft picks and if nothing else should endear themselves to the special teams coaches.



    Assuming the players are available, I really like the first 6 picks. The Chiefs will have a gluttony of WRs if they re-sign Dwayne Bowe, so I could be persuaded to take other players in the 6th and 7th rounds. Finding play-makers should be the priority and not necessarily trying to find players to plug holes that late. I think you're looking at 5 starter coming out of this group if you include Foles. Lattimore will have the luxury of sitting as long as he needs to heal because of Jamaal Charles. Bray has arguably the most upside of any QB in this draft. Letting him sit and develop would be great for him. There's a little risk here, but when you look at Joekel, Lattimore (injury), Mathieu (immaturity), and Bray, there were absolutely scenarios that could've played out over this past season that could've seen each of these guys taken in the top 10 overall in this draft class. Talent is talent is talent and when we could take the next Adrian Peterson in the 3rd or a shut down, ball-hawking, play-making DB in the 5th, you spring at the chance... risk be damned! We're not talking about 3000 point gambles here like Geno Smith #1 overall. These picks cost less that 300 points... you can afford to take risks with these picks.

  2. #21
    Member Since
    Dec 2008
    Location
    kcmo
    Posts
    1,024
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 1

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Well said coach!!!!!!!!

  3. #22
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,708
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 48

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    ^Argue? It's not really an arguement when the other side doesn't listen. You've never admitted to any of the issues with drafting Joeckel, nor have you admitted to any of the qualities of drafting a QB. It's all about what TC wants, not what the positives could be if the opposite should happen.
    You think I WANT to take a LT with the #1 pick?? Nothing could be further from the truth. I WISH there were a QB to take #1 overall... that prospect does not currently exist in this draft class. Things could change, but I highly doubt it. I don't see any of these QBs vaulting up the board nearly half an entire round. (Only exception could be Wilson) G. Smith's problems aren't with his talent. It's with his reads and personality... the combine is going to prove he's a great athlete with good skill... but it won't ease the concerns about his immeasurables.

    My argument about taking the BPA or Joekel is purely just to try and get y'all to think about this logically. Taking a QB to take a QB just because he's a QB in the first round does not a franchise QB make. Would I like to see the Chiefs invest in a QB this offseason? Absolutely. But there truly isn't someone who stands out from the rest of the crowd. If we can save 2600 points and get a comparable talent with the 2nd round pick be it via trade or BQBA in the 2nd, then that's the route that should be taken. Y'all act like Geno Smith is head and shoulders better than everyone else in this draft and that's simply not the case... I don't care how deep you stick your fingers in your ears or how loudly you sing to drown out the noise... Geno Smith is NOT worth the #1 pick and to spend that many draft resources on him is asinine.

    Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    Agree with threes. Its all about what tc wants and if you disagree with him then your wrong. Either way you look at it joekel wouldnt be the best scenario non qb pick wise. Best scenerio is to keep albert since we already have him and then draft the DTstar and move him to end. Then thats two spots filled instead of making a hole and filling just ine spot that you just had a great player in.
    So, you're not ok with letting Albert walk and replacing him with an above replacement level player, but you're ok with letting Dorsey walk and replacing him with ANOTHER DT who's a protypical 4-3 DT and move him to 3-4 DE... yeah... that's a MUCH better idea. There's nothing about Star that would make one believe he's capable of being worth the #1 overall pick... especially since the team that holds the #1 pick runs a 3-4.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Nothing wrong with Texaschief defending his opinion. Even if he is wrong, lol.

    Letting Albert walk, only to replace him with the #1 pick is the equivalent of losing 3000 draft points by letting Albert walk. Not sure why I'm not able to get that point across. We have a good LT, lets keep him. If you are worried about his back, then make him play under the 1yr franchise tag. And sign Bowe to a 3 or 4 year deal.

    I think we have to table who we take with the #1 overall pick until after the combine. Lots will change during that process. If after the combine there are still no qb's rated in the top 10, then I might be ok with drafting something other than QB at #1. And I fully expect us to trade for a QB as well which will likely impact our draft strategy.
    You're not losing 3000pts by letting Albert walk. You're turning 3000 points into a better player AND at least $4m in annual cap space. If he "busts," he's moved to a different position on the OL. Drafting a QB is already a 50/50 proposition at best and if a QB busts, it sets the franchise back at least 5 years AND you've wasted 3000pts because he can't be used anywhere else on the field... that's a distinct difference. If one views Albert as an injury risk (which has been one of my arguments), drafting Joekel isn't a wasted pick... it's necessary to keep the OL performing at its current level. Even if Albert and Joekel perform at the exact same level, it's ALREADY a positive because of the cap number. If Albert's back becomes a chronic problem, the value of a Joekel pick skyrockets exponentially. No matter how you slice it, a Joekel pick cannot be viewed as a waste of a pick or a lateral move.

  4. #23
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,708
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 48

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    First, if you have concern about Albert's back, the answer is simple...tag him. Using your logic, we should never pay a good LT, instead just spend a 1st rd pick every four years on a new one assuming every one we draft turns into a good one, otherwise we have to draft one even more often. Free agency isn't an option using your logic because you will have to pay $10mm/yr just like Albert is asking for.

    Second, we never spend our cap money anyway so I could care less if we save another $6mm. We haven't cap problems in KC for ages, if ever.

    Using the logic of letting good existing players walk after turning them into good players only to spend draft picks to restart the process sounds like a great strategy for maintaining mediocrity.

    Finally, lets be honest with ourselves and admit nobody knows what the perfect draft rankings should be. Tom Brady got drafted in the 5th round, Jamarcus Russell was drafted #1 overall. So save the draft value talk. Saying one player should be ranked 7th, while another should be ranked 23rd, while another should be ranked #25 is a bunch if hocus pocus. Does the player have a first round grade? If so, use your first rd pick. If you try to get cute and get maximum value based upon what Mel Kiper or some "draft guru" sees on their crystal ball is a collosal mistake in my opinion.
    C'mon, Coach. What have these QBs done that makes you think they're worth the pick? Drafting a losing QB who scouts say can't read through progressions, relies on dump passes to inflate his passing % and NFL caliber WRs to stomp on small schools like James Madison the way Geno Smith did is not a good pick... "use your logic." None of the other QBs deserve the spot either. All you have to do is watch Geno's games against better opponents to realize he's not worth the pick. Of his last 8 games, Smith could only manage wins against Iowa State and Kansas... in a weak defensive, pass centric BIG 12. This player would not have gone in the 2nd round last April.

    Stop the madness!!

  5. #24
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,246
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I keep teling you that he DID FACE BETTER DEFENSES and put up decent numbers, just the fact that he didn't win shouldn't discredit that. Texas, Oklahoma, ISU, and TCU all had decent defenses, and while he wasn't perfect against some of them, he didn't detriment his team at all. In some cases, he was carrying his team and his pathetic defense.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

  6. #25
    Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Location
    tucson
    Posts
    1,771
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 2

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Foles= no playoffs!!!!@

  7. #26
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lewisville, TX (Dallas)
    Posts
    1,192
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 22

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    First, if you have concern about Albert's back, the answer is simple...tag him. Using your logic, we should never pay a good LT, instead just spend a 1st rd pick every four years on a new one assuming every one we draft turns into a good one, otherwise we have to draft one even more often. Free agency isn't an option using your logic because you will have to pay $10mm/yr just like Albert is asking for.

    Second, we never spend our cap money anyway so I could care less if we save another $6mm. We haven't cap problems in KC for ages, if ever.

    Using the logic of letting good existing players walk after turning them into good players only to spend draft picks to restart the process sounds like a great strategy for maintaining mediocrity.
    Where did I say "never pay a good LT, instead just spend a 1st rd pick every four years on a new one"? No where is where, I did not say anything to lead someone to that. What I said is he had a problem this year with his back, and sometimes backs are never good again. If you take the best LT in the league, if he missed 25% of the games because of his back, and was out for the playoffs is he still the best LT? I was talking about one individual and not in general terms, please do not put words into my posts.

    You might not be concerned about cap but some in here sure are, look how bad the have complained the last 4 years about Cassell's high contract and he was getting 20% or whatever of the teams cap, to me what difference did it make, we were not close to the cap then, I will agree he was not worth it but that is beside the point. We have new management and they might get us up to the cap in a year or two, what would you do if at the end of next year we had to cut Hali and/or DJ (just as examples) to make room to get under the cap? Management always have to worry about the cap, what would have happened if we would have signed Peyton Manning last year how would the cap have looked now?

    Again I did not say anywhere we do not need to resign our draft picks if they turn out to be good, that is a stupid statement and makes no sense but if they have health problems or does not develop (do you think we should resign Baldwin because he was a 1st round pick) we should think about not resigning him.

    If you franchise Albert and can not sign Bowe do you want the best WR we have walk? Also to franchise a LT is going to cost around $10 million also, and if his back is bad and he missed 50% of the snaps and we end up with a mid round draft pick there probably won't be a franchise LT there.

    It is all a crap shoot and there is no pat answer, a lot will depend what happens between not and the draft.
    Last edited by N TX Dave; 02-12-2013 at 06:49 PM.

  8. #27
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,708
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 48

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    I keep teling you that he DID FACE BETTER DEFENSES and put up decent numbers, just the fact that he didn't win shouldn't discredit that. Texas, Oklahoma, ISU, and TCU all had decent defenses, and while he wasn't perfect against some of them, he didn't detriment his team at all. In some cases, he was carrying his team and his pathetic defense.

    Texas was not a top 50 defense.
    Oklahoma was not a top 50 defense.
    Iowa St. was not a top 50 defense.
    But hey... TCU was #16... and they beat him.

    I guess "decent" is a relative term. I love how Geno advocates make excuses for him as to why he couldn't win games on one hand, then on the other, claim he's a franchise QB who can shoulder a franchise and is worthy of the #1 pick. Either he's a franchise QB who can put a team on his back and win games or he's not. You can't have it both ways. We can find talented, above average QB's later in the draft. This team does not need to waste the first pick on a player who presents little more than whoever will be available in the 2nd round.

    I predict that you're going to see Geno light up the combine because he's got some pretty good physical talent. His problems are between his ears and there's nothing at the combine to expose that to the general public.

  9. #28
    Member Since
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,373
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 333
    Given: 71

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Texas was not a top 50 defense.
    Oklahoma was not a top 50 defense.
    Iowa St. was not a top 50 defense.
    But hey... TCU was #16... and they beat him.

    I guess "decent" is a relative term. I love how Geno advocates make excuses for him as to why he couldn't win games on one hand, then on the other, claim he's a franchise QB who can shoulder a franchise and is worthy of the #1 pick. Either he's a franchise QB who can put a team on his back and win games or he's not. You can't have it both ways. We can find talented, above average QB's later in the draft. This team does not need to waste the first pick on a player who presents little more than whoever will be available in the 2nd round.

    I predict that you're going to see Geno light up the combine because he's got some pretty good physical talent. His problems are between his ears and there's nothing at the combine to expose that to the general public.
    The same lovers told me I was just making excuses had a lovefest for Cassel when I talked about our poor D half the year. Now they want to use There D as an excuse as to why there guy lost I've given up the Geno fight. You won't win with them. It's one set of rules for the guys they don't want (anyone not named geno) anther for Geno. Just give up this fight you won't win with the geno lovers. Lucky for us I really don't see us taking at number 1. He's just not worth the number 1 pick and as the new brass has stated we are taking the BPA which has worked really well for the Packers.

  10. #29
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,708
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 48

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    This "salary cap is no big deal" attitude some Chiefs fans have is ignorant (no offense). After the last few years of not spending any money in free agency, I'm sure most of y'all never even thought to check. I know I didn't until I accidentally read a startling article on the subject. The Chiefs salary cap number heading into 2013 is sitting right at $120m. That's mid-pack, y'all. There are 13 teams with more cap space than the Chiefs... and that's BEFORE signing Bowe, Albert, Dorsey, or Colquitt. That $120m mark only leaves the Chiefs with $12m to play with this offseason. Cut Tyson Jackson and you save $14m. Cut Cassel and you save another $6m. If you cut those two players, that could give the Chiefs $32m cap space. But if you franchise Albert, that takes $10m. Signing Bowe to a long-term deal will require at least $8-10m/yr to bring back. Bowe is looking for a monster deal and unless we tag him for $11m, it's going to require some serious coin to bring him back long-term.

    So, let's just do what y'all want and re-sign Bowe at the low end of the spectrum for $8m/yr and tag Albert for $10m. So, now what? Well, now we have a rookie draft class to sign which will require another $7m or so. What are you going to accomplish with $7m remaining? Are you really going to max-out your cap space and leave yourself very little wiggle room? Salaries for your best players are only going to go up each year. If the Chiefs went with this plan, there's no way they'd have enough money to sign Albert to a long-term deal after the 2013 season. Not to mention, we still don't have a punter and we've lost our starting DE's.

    Upgrading this roster is going to require a much more thought out approach than just "plug-and-play."

    By the way, those of you who think cutting Geno after a quick one year failure is the fall-back plan if the kid busts, you might want to take a look at Dontari Poe's cap penalty if we cut him this offseason... (it's -$6.7m). Hell, cutting Berry would be a -$4.7m hit. You can't just draft-it and quit-it. The NFL doesn't work that way. Making a poor selection with this #1 pick, especially at QB, would do MUCH more damage than some of you are willing to acknowledge.
    Last edited by texaschief; 02-12-2013 at 07:44 PM.

  11. #30
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lewisville, TX (Dallas)
    Posts
    1,192
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 22

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    This "salary cap is no big deal" attitude some Chiefs fans have is ignorant (no offense). After the last few years of not spending any money in free agency, I'm sure most of y'all never even thought to check. I know I didn't until I accidentally read a startling article on the subject. The Chiefs salary cap number heading into 2013 is sitting right at $120m. That's mid-pack, y'all. There are 13 teams with more cap space than the Chiefs... and that's BEFORE signing Bowe, Albert, Dorsey, or Colquitt. That $120m mark only leaves the Chiefs with $12m to play with this offseason. Cut Tyson Jackson and you save $14m. Cut Cassel and you save another $6m. If you cut those two players, that could give the Chiefs $32m cap space. But if you franchise Albert, that takes $10m. Signing Bowe to a long-term deal will require at least $8-10m/yr to bring back. Bowe is looking for a monster deal and unless we tag him for $11m, it's going to require some serious coin to bring him back long-term.

    So, let's just do what y'all want and re-sign Bowe at the low end of the spectrum for $8m/yr and tag Albert for $10m. So, now what? Well, now we have a rookie draft class to sign which will require another $7m or so. What are you going to accomplish with $7m remaining? Are you really going to max-out your cap space and leave yourself very little wiggle room? Salaries for your best players are only going to go up each year. If the Chiefs went with this plan, there's no way they'd have enough money to sign Albert to a long-term deal after the 2013 season. Not to mention, we still don't have a punter and we've lost our starting DE's.

    Upgrading this roster is going to require a much more thought out approach than just "plug-and-play."

    By the way, those of you who think cutting Geno after a quick one year failure is the fall-back plan if the kid busts, you might want to take a look at Dontari Poe's cap penalty if we cut him this offseason... (it's -$6.7m). Hell, cutting Berry would be a -$4.7m hit. You can't just draft-it and quit-it. The NFL doesn't work that way. Making a poor selection with this #1 pick, especially at QB, would do MUCH more damage than some of you are willing to acknowledge.
    But I am going to bury my head in the sand and say draft Geno with the first pick no matter what, end of discussion. I will worry about the year after that, the year after that. I WANT A QB WITH THE FIRST PICK!!!!! Nothing else will do, I will ignore what anyone else is saying because I want a QB 1st and only what I want matters to me.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Football Gameplan's 2012 NFL Mock Draft Video - Final Mock
    By EmDiggy in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-18-2012, 11:28 PM
  2. Football Gameplan's Mock Draft Video - Final Mock
    By EmDiggy in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-21-2011, 04:51 PM
  3. My KC Post draft - Mock Draft
    By Coach in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-29-2009, 10:28 AM
  4. anybody get any new chiefs gear for valentines day??
    By garciakcfan in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-15-2008, 08:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •