Re-sign Pitoitua
    Re-sign Colquitt

Free Agent Signings:

WR- Gregg Jennings
    TE- Jared Cook
    OG- Andy Levitre
    LB- Phillip Wheeler

Trades:

Trade 2nd round pick to Minnesota who target the best QB available for picks 52 and 83 (3rd rd).

Trade pick 52 to the Eagles for QB Nick Foles.

Draft:

1st Round
    LT Luke Joekel Texas A&M
    The Chiefs replace Branden Albert with a less expensive upgrade in Luke Joekel. They get better value with this pick than if they had decided to take a QB #1 overall. Joekel fits into a line that boasts Jon Asamoah, Rodney Hudson, Andy Levitre, and Eric Winston with depth provided by in Stephenson and Allen.

3rd Round
    3a.
    LB Khaseem Greene Rutgers
    He's a play-making, game changing LB who was also the back-to-back Big East defensive Player of the year. Greene had arguably the best junior and senior seasons of ANY Big East player. It's unknown as to which flavor of the 3-4 defense we'll be running, but it's a pretty good bet that we'll need LB help no matter what. One Derrick Johnson, one of the great values Greene offers is his versatility and ability to be extremely useful in ANY type of defensive scheme.

3rd Round
    3b. (from Vikings)
    RB Marcus Lattimore South Carolina
    The Chiefs have decent depth behind Charles and this pick is probably superfluous, but c'mon... the best running back in this class is still on the board in the 4th round. There's very little downside to this selection. Yes, he's a risk having had 2 knee surgeries in the past 2 seasons. Gotta couple names for you though: Willis McGahee and Frank Gore. Both of those guys were in the same boat and have had pretty successful NFL careers. I wouldn't consider this player too much of an injury risk considering the circumstances that occurred to cause his injury. Lattimore is 6'0, 232 lbs and could essentially give the Chiefs a Jamaal Charles/Adrian Peterson 1-2 punch for the foreseeable future. Talk about a change of pace back. Can you imagine taking a beating from Lattimore for 6 to 8 plays and then chasing Charles 40 yards and then getting hit in the mouth from Lattimore the next play? ...wow.

3c. (compensation for Carr)
    S Bacarri Rambo Georgia
    The Chiefs need some stability next to Eric Berry. Rambo is a ball-hawking FS that would fit perfectly next to Berry... and let's be honest... that's a badass football name.

4th Round
    QB Tyler Bray Tennessee
    Tyler Bray is arguably the most talented QB in the 2013 crop. He's foregoing his senior year at Tennessee where he would probably be better served in his development. Bray is a great draft-and-develop prospect who would probably benefit greatly from sitting for a couple seasons to learn Andy Reid's system. The only problem I see with this pick is that Bray is as close to a statue in the pocket as there could possibly be and there haven't been too many of those drafted by Reid. But this is MY mock and I think Bray could be a good pick for the Chiefs if they can protect him.

5th
    DB Tyrann Mathieu LSU (Sat out a year)
    Off the field issues should not scare anyone away from top 5 talent in the 5th round. We need another play-maker in the secondary and you couldn't ask for a better one than the "Honey Badger" in the 5th round. (**may be worth a higher pick as we get closer to the draft)

6th Round
    WR Marquise Goodwin Texas
    Olympic athlete with elite speed and play-making ability. Sounds like a good WR option to throw in the mix at WR, KR, and PR.

7th Round
    WR Uzoma Nwachukwu TX A&M
    Good WR this late in the draft is never bad. You should always be on the lookout for playmakers in the last couple rounds of the draft. Nwachukwu and Goodwin present good upside for late round draft picks and if nothing else should endear themselves to the special teams coaches.

Assuming the players are available, I really like the first 6 picks. The Chiefs will have a gluttony of WRs if they re-sign Dwayne Bowe, so I could be persuaded to take other players in the 6th and 7th rounds. Finding play-makers should be the priority and not necessarily trying to find players to plug holes that late. I think you're looking at 5 starter coming out of this group if you include Foles. Lattimore will have the luxury of sitting as long as he needs to heal because of Jamaal Charles. Bray has arguably the most upside of any QB in this draft. Letting him sit and develop would be great for him. There's a little risk here, but when you look at Joekel, Lattimore (injury), Mathieu (immaturity), and Bray, there were absolutely scenarios that could've played out over this past season that could've seen each of these guys taken in the top 10 overall in this draft class. Talent is talent is talent and when we could take the next Adrian Peterson in the 3rd or a shut down, ball-hawking, play-making DB in the 5th, you spring at the chance... risk be damned! We're not talking about 3000 point gambles here like Geno Smith #1 overall. These picks cost less that 300 points... you can afford to take risks with these picks.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post
    Where'd you hear that?
    Gang signs.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    Gang signs.
    Must be.

Here is one -
    Strengths:
    Mobility: Smith will not tear you apart at the seams with his running ability, but he will be able to scramble out of the pocket and create plays with his feet. He is not a run-first quarterback, but he is capable of driving an offense down the field and into the end zone by making plays outside the box.
    Arm Strength: Geno Smith possesses elite-caliber arm strength. He can throw a ball 60 yards down the field with the flick of a wrist, his fast action throwing motion reminds me a lot of Michael Vick. He can heave the ball without much hang to it, right into the chest of his receivers.
    Size: Geno Smith has protoypical NFL size for a quarterback, if that means anything in today's league, as Russell Wilson showed everyone that size really doesn't matter in the NFL. However, Smith's 6'3'' 215 lb frame works into his favor. He could look to add five to ten pounds, as he may be utilized more outside of the pocker in the NFL than he was in college.

Weaknesses:
    Accurary: Geno Smith can thread the ball through three defenders, right into his receiver's arms at times. It's when he's under pressure that he loses confidence in his throw placement. When being faced with more than a base four defender pass rush, Smith panics and chuck the ball to the first teammate he can find, often causing near chaos by havin it bounce off or out of a defender's hands.
    Decision Making: As previously mentoined, Geno Smith becomes oblivious to the pass rush. Instead of stepping up into the pocket to avoid the edge rush, Smith instead back pedals, often times causing a horrific throwing decision or even worse, a turnover. In order for Smith to succeed consistently in the NFL, he's going to need to remain patient under pressure, and progress through his reads before deciding to chuck and pray.
    Character: Smith is not on record as being a trouble maker, but has shown at times to blow a fuse with not much regard to those around him. Most recently in West Virginia's Bowl game vs. Syracuse, Smith absolutely exploded on the sidelines. Smith will most likely be asked to start from day one, and will need to garner the respect of the huddle in order to be effective. No fan base or franchise is going to tolerate a whiner, ask the Chicago Bears.

Bottom Line:
    Geno Smith has been mocked in so many different places, by so many different people. I have never mocked Geno Smith to the Chiefs at first overall, simply because I don't feel he is worth that. I do think Smith could go in the top 10, but if teams around the league who are quarterback needy decide to use a band aid free agent quarterback to hold them over until the 2014 NFL Draft, Smith could see himself fall well into the late first round. When you think of Geno Smith at the next level, and who he compares to, think Jay Cutler. He will look great at times, but he will also look absolutely clueless. He's not a 'Franchise' quarteraback, but he'll quarterback a franchise.

Another one -
    Geno Smith may be super efficient, racking up completions and lighting up scoreboards, but nothing screams ‘franchise quarterback’ when watching his tape. Smith’s contests against Kansas State and Texas Tech make you wonder whether this player is even worth a first round draft pick. He seems like he could be a solid stopgap type of player whose floor and ceiling are very close. While he’ll likely be a high pick (and could go first overall, depending how desperate the Chiefs/Jaguars are), don’t be surprised if he doesn’t pan out.

Another one -
    At this point, Geno Smith is the favorite to be drafted #1 overall by the Kansas City Chiefs. Now there is still plenty of time for things to change from now until the draft. Me personally, I don’t see it. He started out hot and his play seems to have gotten worse over the course of the season. I think that is blinding some people in their judgement. He’s a project. I don’t think he’s ready to start from day 1 and that seems to be the norm for quarterbacks in recent years. People see that he has all the tools but he’s got a lot of work to do to maximize his potential. Even when he does, I don’t see Geno Smith ever being a top tier quarterback but more of a serviceable starter at best. The quarterback position is at a premium more than ever in the NFL and as a result more and more college prospects are being overrated.

Another one Weaknesses: Smith has a tendency to stare down his receiver and stay locked on him too often. He sometimes relies too much on his strong arm and will force passes into tight windows. His ball placement on down field throws can be off at times when he does not get his feet set or gets pressure in his face. He plays in a shotgun spread offense attack, so not sure if he has the mechanics to play under center. He has a tendency to throw to the receiver instead of leading him sometimes. He sometimes gives defender the chance to make plays on his passes when he does not use proper mechanics or technique. He has good height, but his lean build is a concern and needs to add some bulk to his upper and lower body.

Decent post, but Geno doesn't stare down receivers as much as people say he does. If the first read is open, why wouldn't he throw to him?

HMMMMM. The Chiefs went 2 and 14, and send 6 players to probowl. There has to be an obvious problem here. We have a top 5 running back, which always makes a qb look better then they really are and we go 2 and 14. The league has changed, you cant win a super bowl without a very good or great QB. Its painfully easy to see, the biggest problem the chiefs have is the lack of qb. We could draft an LT, and still not likely to improve the team.(maybe by a win or two) WOW! maybe we could go 4 and 12 next year, BUT have 7 probowlers, how cool is that!!! And make and break even more embarrassing records.

Drafting anyone but a qb with our first would be like, Having a big hole in the fence on a big cattle farm, you buy a new fence and put it across the good part of the fence, leaving the hole unpatched hoping the cows dont find the same hole they walked through last time.

I'm not sold on any single one of the top 4 qbs but one of these will surely stand out and rise above the others in the combines.
    Right now however, Geno tops that list in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by 70 chiefsfan70 View Post
    HMMMMM. The Chiefs went 2 and 14, and send 6 players to probowl. There has to be an obvious problem here. We have a top 5 running back, which always makes a qb look better then they really are and we go 2 and 14. The league has changed, you cant win a super bowl without a very good or great QB. Its painfully easy to see, the biggest problem the chiefs have is the lack of qb. We could draft an LT, and still not likely to improve the team.(maybe by a win or two) WOW! maybe we could go 4 and 12 next year, BUT have 7 probowlers, how cool is that!!! And make and break even more embarrassing records.

Drafting anyone but a qb with our first would be like, Having a big hole in the fence on a big cattle farm, you buy a new fence and put it across the good part of the fence, leaving the hole unpatched hoping the cows dont find the same hole they walked through last time.

I'm not sold on any single one of the top 4 qbs but one of these will surely stand out and rise above the others in the combines.
    I love analogies!

Im not sure where i heard it cuz it was a while back. But yeah it something to do with gang signs or gangster attitude. Im not sure but i dont want a qb who offiliates with any gangs. If that is true or not i dont know. Just what i heard. It might have been on the radio but not sure. So im open to smith but lil cautious. Plus not sold in him as a franchise qb. He didnt do that well against good defenses but nfl is diferent so im just cautious is all to get my hopes up on any qb in this draft really.

I wonder if the Raven's LT had anything to do with protecting Flacco in their SB win?

Lets say while going to the fence you see that the stuff they have at the store just isn't as good as what you can get from the farmer down the street which would you go for?

I will keep saying that this talk that we can't draft anyone but a QB at 1 is just WRONG. Sorry but it is. Are the Faiders looking great taking Russel at 1 or would you rather have Calvin Johnson? Or AP? A big part of the reason they are in the boat that they are is that they chose the WRONG QB to build around and passed on some pretty damn good players. Is that something any of us really want? Just go look at the 1999 nfl draft and the 1st round qbs there. It's a whos who of BUST. Do we really want Tim Couch,Akili Smith,Cade Mcnown? It's just not true to say we HAVE to get a QB in this draft to get better. We can get better while getting A qb elsewhere if it's not there.

There's a chance that one of the QBs in this draft will really show something in the combine if that happens I will fully support drafting that QB. But until that happens I will keep saying we can't just look at QB we have to look to get the best player. When you have 1st pick you're taking the biggest risk on that player. You have to be willing to take that risk. But you also have to make that an educated risk. If you just draft a QB because you happen to need a QB and ignore taking any other player at 1 you're setting yourself up to take a bust and passing up on some REALLY good players. That just won't get you anywhere. If a QB steps it up and moves up the rankings in the combine then it's a no brainer TAKE THAT GUY. But if no QB does then it's a no brainer take someone else that did step up.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

I don't think anyone in here does not want a QB we all know we need a QB but you can not will a franchise QB to appear out of thin air, if there is not one there, there is not one there, move on.

Drafting a QB 1st this year is like having that hole in the fence and you go to town to buy the fence and the hardware store only has chicken wire on hand and you know that won't hold the cattle in are you going to waste you money buying it anyhow?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast