Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 73

Thread: TC's Valentines Day Mock Draft 2.0

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,768
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 51

    Default TC's Valentines Day Mock Draft 2.0


    0 Not allowed!
    Release Tyson Jackson
    Let Dorsey Walk
    Let Albert Walk
    Re-sign Bowe
    Re-sign Pitoitua
    Re-sign Colquitt

    Free Agent Signings:

    WR- Gregg Jennings
    TE- Jared Cook
    OG- Andy Levitre
    LB- Phillip Wheeler

    Trades:

    Trade 2nd round pick to Minnesota who target the best QB available for picks 52 and 83 (3rd rd).

    Trade pick 52 to the Eagles for QB Nick Foles.


    Draft:

    1st Round
    LT Luke Joekel Texas A&M
    The Chiefs replace Branden Albert with a less expensive upgrade in Luke Joekel. They get better value with this pick than if they had decided to take a QB #1 overall. Joekel fits into a line that boasts Jon Asamoah, Rodney Hudson, Andy Levitre, and Eric Winston with depth provided by in Stephenson and Allen.

    3rd Round
    3a.
    LB Khaseem Greene Rutgers
    He's a play-making, game changing LB who was also the back-to-back Big East defensive Player of the year. Greene had arguably the best junior and senior seasons of ANY Big East player. It's unknown as to which flavor of the 3-4 defense we'll be running, but it's a pretty good bet that we'll need LB help no matter what. One Derrick Johnson, one of the great values Greene offers is his versatility and ability to be extremely useful in ANY type of defensive scheme.

    3rd Round
    3b. (from Vikings)
    RB Marcus Lattimore South Carolina
    The Chiefs have decent depth behind Charles and this pick is probably superfluous, but c'mon... the best running back in this class is still on the board in the 4th round. There's very little downside to this selection. Yes, he's a risk having had 2 knee surgeries in the past 2 seasons. Gotta couple names for you though: Willis McGahee and Frank Gore. Both of those guys were in the same boat and have had pretty successful NFL careers. I wouldn't consider this player too much of an injury risk considering the circumstances that occurred to cause his injury. Lattimore is 6'0, 232 lbs and could essentially give the Chiefs a Jamaal Charles/Adrian Peterson 1-2 punch for the foreseeable future. Talk about a change of pace back. Can you imagine taking a beating from Lattimore for 6 to 8 plays and then chasing Charles 40 yards and then getting hit in the mouth from Lattimore the next play? ...wow.

    3c. (compensation for Carr)
    S Bacarri Rambo Georgia
    The Chiefs need some stability next to Eric Berry. Rambo is a ball-hawking FS that would fit perfectly next to Berry... and let's be honest... that's a badass football name.

    4th Round
    QB Tyler Bray Tennessee
    Tyler Bray is arguably the most talented QB in the 2013 crop. He's foregoing his senior year at Tennessee where he would probably be better served in his development. Bray is a great draft-and-develop prospect who would probably benefit greatly from sitting for a couple seasons to learn Andy Reid's system. The only problem I see with this pick is that Bray is as close to a statue in the pocket as there could possibly be and there haven't been too many of those drafted by Reid. But this is MY mock and I think Bray could be a good pick for the Chiefs if they can protect him.

    5th
    DB Tyrann Mathieu LSU (Sat out a year)
    Off the field issues should not scare anyone away from top 5 talent in the 5th round. We need another play-maker in the secondary and you couldn't ask for a better one than the "Honey Badger" in the 5th round. (**may be worth a higher pick as we get closer to the draft)

    6th Round
    WR Marquise Goodwin Texas
    Olympic athlete with elite speed and play-making ability. Sounds like a good WR option to throw in the mix at WR, KR, and PR.

    7th Round
    WR Uzoma Nwachukwu TX A&M
    Good WR this late in the draft is never bad. You should always be on the lookout for playmakers in the last couple rounds of the draft. Nwachukwu and Goodwin present good upside for late round draft picks and if nothing else should endear themselves to the special teams coaches.



    Assuming the players are available, I really like the first 6 picks. The Chiefs will have a gluttony of WRs if they re-sign Dwayne Bowe, so I could be persuaded to take other players in the 6th and 7th rounds. Finding play-makers should be the priority and not necessarily trying to find players to plug holes that late. I think you're looking at 5 starter coming out of this group if you include Foles. Lattimore will have the luxury of sitting as long as he needs to heal because of Jamaal Charles. Bray has arguably the most upside of any QB in this draft. Letting him sit and develop would be great for him. There's a little risk here, but when you look at Joekel, Lattimore (injury), Mathieu (immaturity), and Bray, there were absolutely scenarios that could've played out over this past season that could've seen each of these guys taken in the top 10 overall in this draft class. Talent is talent is talent and when we could take the next Adrian Peterson in the 3rd or a shut down, ball-hawking, play-making DB in the 5th, you spring at the chance... risk be damned! We're not talking about 3000 point gambles here like Geno Smith #1 overall. These picks cost less that 300 points... you can afford to take risks with these picks.

  2. #61
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,246
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Nope, absolutely NOT what I was saying at all. You're right, it does take the entire team, but offensively it all STARTS up front. It doesn't matter how good the QB is if he spends most of the time on his back looking up at the sky. As stated above: I DON'T discount the need for a solid QB. A good team is greater than the sum of its parts: the O-line has to block, running backs have to be able to utilize those blocks, QBs have to be able to make sound decisions in four seconds or less and deliver the ball, WRs have to get open and make the catch. Unfortunately a team doesn't get unlimited picks within the time allotted each round of the draft, so we're stuck with either taking the best player available or filling team holes and addressing the rest of team needs through FA.
    What I'm saying is that Albert is already good enough. There are questions at the other positions, especially C, but Albert is not the problem, and drafting Joeckell is silly.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

  3. #62
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    28,123
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 253
    Given: 447

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    What I'm saying is that Albert is already good enough. There are questions at the other positions, especially C, but Albert is not the problem, and drafting Joeckell is silly.
    That's a valid point, and understand that the door swings both ways; it doesn't matter how good your OL line is if your QB is crap. I simply believe that given this years QB class that our need at the QB position can just as easily be addressed in FA. Dorsey has made it clear that his philosophy is to draft the best player available, which doesn't appear to be a QB at this point.


  4. #63
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,768
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 51

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    This article is a good read. It talks about top rated QB's not participating in the throwing drills at the combine. Recently, Smith, Nassib, and Barkley have all stated that they will be participating this year in the combine. Why is this relevant to the conversation? Because over the last 8 years, only 1 QB (Newton) who had a chance to go in the top 5 overall, participated in the throwing drills. The article states that the reason for this is because nothing good can from participating in the combine drill for a QB who is projected to go in the top 5 or perhaps #1 overall and if they're already slotted to go high in the draft, why give the teams a chance to break you down, tear you apart, and damage your draft position? The only reason for a QB to participate in the throwing drills is to improve his draft stock... but it's a pretty big gamble on their part. Evaluations could go either way.

    In 2005, Aaron Rogers and Alex Smith sat out. In '06, it was Russell and Quinn. '07 saw Young and Leinart sit out. In '08 Matt Ryan decided against participating. In '09, Stafford sat out. Bradford sat out in '10. Newton was the lone, brave soul who decided to participate in 2011 and his throwing motion was ripped to shreds during the 3 month gap between the combine and the draft. Luckily, Carolina desperately needed a QB and he was already the #1 player on 6 teams' boards before the combine and heading into the draft. Last year we saw RGIII and Luck both sit out during the throwing portion of the draft. This should put the 2013 QB draft class in perspective for you. When you say ANY one of these QBs is worth a top 5 pick, you might want to see what the players and their management team actually think about their own draft prospects. If they believed themselves that they were already worth a top 5 selection, they wouldn't risk that draft position by participating in the throwing drills. Not ONE of these QB's are in a position to protect their draft position and must earn their spot in the draft by participating in this drill.

    To me, the fact that all these guys will probably be participating this year speaks VOLUMES.

  5. #64
    Member Since
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    10,594
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 3

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    This article is a good read. It talks about top rated QB's not participating in the throwing drills at the combine. Recently, Smith, Nassib, and Barkley have all stated that they will be participating this year in the combine. Why is this relevant to the conversation? Because over the last 8 years, only 1 QB (Newton) who had a chance to go in the top 5 overall, participated in the throwing drills. The article states that the reason for this is because nothing good can from participating in the combine drill for a QB who is projected to go in the top 5 or perhaps #1 overall and if they're already slotted to go high in the draft, why give the teams a chance to break you down, tear you apart, and damage your draft position? The only reason for a QB to participate in the throwing drills is to improve his draft stock... but it's a pretty big gamble on their part. Evaluations could go either way.

    In 2005, Aaron Rogers and Alex Smith sat out. In '06, it was Russell and Quinn. '07 saw Young and Leinart sit out. In '08 Matt Ryan decided against participating. In '09, Stafford sat out. Bradford sat out in '10. Newton was the lone, brave soul who decided to participate in 2011 and his throwing motion was ripped to shreds during the 3 month gap between the combine and the draft. Luckily, Carolina desperately needed a QB and he was already the #1 player on 6 teams' boards before the combine and heading into the draft. Last year we saw RGIII and Luck both sit out during the throwing portion of the draft. This should put the 2013 QB draft class in perspective for you. When you say ANY one of these QBs is worth a top 5 pick, you might want to see what the players and their management team actually think about their own draft prospects. If they believed themselves that they were already worth a top 5 selection, they wouldn't risk that draft position by participating in the throwing drills. Not ONE of these QB's are in a position to protect their draft position and must earn their spot in the draft by participating in this drill.

    To me, the fact that all these guys will probably be participating this year speaks VOLUMES.
    Geno didnt participate in the Senior Bowl and people went on about how he was "scared" and this and that..... He wants to silence the doubters at this point, establish himself as the #1. Also it's not a good argument for not taking a QB. "They're all participating in throwing drills at the combine"

  6. #65
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Lake Ozark, MO
    Posts
    1,786
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 3

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post
    Geno didnt participate in the Senior Bowl and people went on about how he was "scared" and this and that..... He wants to silence the doubters at this point, establish himself as the #1. Also it's not a good argument for not taking a QB. "They're all participating in throwing drills at the combine"
    Right because none of them are good enought to be number one so they have to prove it, which could backfire. but at the same time could elevate any one of them if they stand out. Where as years prior the sure fire number one didn't have to throw. It's a calculated risk. It's not about silencing doubters. He HAS to throw to elevate his stock. He's not throwing to silence he could get crushed by the scouts.

  7. #66
    Member Since
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    10,594
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 3

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Why he decided to throw at the combine:

    “Honestly just a matter of me going out and competing, being able to show scouts and coaches what I can do. Obviously it’s in shorts and just a little bit of who I am as a player, but still good to allow them to see me throw in live action against other quarterbacks, and they will be able to kind of compare me based on them and vice versa. It’s good to be out there and compete and showcase my talents.”

  8. #67
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,442
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 152

    Default


    1 Not allowed!
    I am a little late to the conversation, but I will put in my 2 cents.

    Generally, I wouldnt be too upset with the outcome of this mock offseason. Im not sure if we would be able to afford Bowe and what G. Jennings probably wants. The other FA pickups would provide good competition and would probably see the field. I like the resign/release list. Im ok with Dorsey going because I think he is wasted in our system and would get a nice payday. Im on the fence about B. Albert. I think we would be able to restructure T. Jax's contract, and if so, I would like to keep him, but if he gets greedy, Im willing to show him the door.

    Basically getting Foles and another 3rd rounder for our 2nd round pick would "fix" the QB situation in my opinion, and really free up our options for the #1 pick. If Reid likes him that much, then In Reid I Trust. He knows him better than any other coach in the league. With the way the Philly is posturing, I think they want to trade Foles, but want at least our 2nd, if not swapping firsts. Either one I would be ok with, but I would hope we got more than just swapping our firsts. If I were a Philly fan, I would be very happy with a combination of Vick/G. Smith/Dennis Dixon at QB.

    Anyways, I dont have a problem with letting Albert walk IF we got Foles. I personally am not blown away by any of the QBs this year. If we fixed the QB problem, where else is there a BIG need? DL? I personally dont like picking a 3-4 DE in the top 10. Maybe in the middle of the round. CB? The top CB is barely considered a top 10 talent. LB? In this league, the 2nd ILB is only on the field on 1st/2nd down anyway, so why spend a top 10 pick on him. FS? OG? RB? WR? There arent any expected to break the top 10 or 15 even in some cases. OLB? We already have 2 really good ones.

    Getting Foles would open up a lot of opportunities, the best of which would be to trade down.

    Back to Albert, I think he is good, but I am concerned about his back. I would want to tag him so that if his back is healthy, he would get a new contract midway through the season, but only if we have enough cap space (I have read conflicting arguments that we have a lot of cap space and that we have very little, both from equally reputable sources). Worst case scenario, Stephenson has done pretty decently in a backup role.

  9. #68
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Lake Ozark, MO
    Posts
    1,786
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 3

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post
    Why he decided to throw at the combine:

    “Honestly just a matter of me going out and competing, being able to show scouts and coaches what I can do. Obviously it’s in shorts and just a little bit of who I am as a player, but still good to allow them to see me throw in live action against other quarterbacks, and they will be able to kind of compare me based on them and vice versa. It’s good to be out there and compete and showcase my talents.”
    Because he IS NOT the sure fre number one he has to showcase his talents which very well could backfire.

  10. #69
    Member Since
    Dec 2008
    Location
    kcmo
    Posts
    1,342
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 1

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    We need to keep albert,bowe amd restructure jackson and draft DT star and trade for foles. And if some how we can get piercy harvin as well then i would say this offseason was perty damn good.

  11. #70
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,471
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 13

    Default x


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    Because he IS NOT the sure fre number one he has to showcase his talents which very well could backfire.
    jemarcus russell was a sure fire #1 so was ryan leaf. bottom line is yeah the draft experts got last years sure fire#1's right(luck,rg3). .but they bad mouthed rodgers,flacco,ryan,brees,projecting them later in the draft. just the same as they are this draft class. hell russell wilson had to be embarrased live on espn when he was drafted. with the announcer saying he was to short and didn't have the potential to be a starter in the nfl. so did brady quinn when the so called experts claimed him as a golden star yet the nfl teams knew more than they did. and a bunch of teams passed on him. i can remember going into last years combine they had ryan tannenhill projected as a 3rd rounder to begin with then he started climbing after the combine. but kiper jr and the other clowns said he was a risky pick and again couldn't be an immediate starter. if you watched hard knocks last year half way through the dolphins camp it was clear tannenhill was the best qb on the team. was his rookie year as good as luck or rg3 no. but he did pretty damn good for a rookie on a team with absolutley no wr's.
    Last edited by slc chief; 02-16-2013 at 02:55 PM. Reason: clean up

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Football Gameplan's 2012 NFL Mock Draft Video - Final Mock
    By EmDiggy in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-19-2012, 12:28 AM
  2. Football Gameplan's Mock Draft Video - Final Mock
    By EmDiggy in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-21-2011, 05:51 PM
  3. My KC Post draft - Mock Draft
    By Coach in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-29-2009, 11:28 AM
  4. anybody get any new chiefs gear for valentines day??
    By garciakcfan in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-15-2008, 09:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •