Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combine Countdown: Watching Rodgers, Geno Smith a 'film junkie'

Hybrid View

Default Combine Countdown: Watching Rodgers, Geno Smith a 'film junkie'

By Tyler Dunne of the Journal Sentinel
    Feb. 12, 2013 5:57 p.m.

Green Bay — Too many personal film sessions ran long. When Jake Spavital returned to his office at West Virginia, quarterback Geno Smith was usually camped out watching tape. The quarterbacks coach had no choice but to shag Smith away. The quarterback had class.
    So then, Spavital had a solution.

“I got him an iPad so he’d go to class,” said Spavital, who is now at Texas A&M. “And then he’d start watching the iPad tape in class, which causes more distractions.”
    A constant need for film paid off. Smith is widely considered the top quarterback prospect in this year's NFL draft class.

Questions dominate the position. Unlike last year, there isn't an Andrew Luck or a Robert Griffin IIIrampaging into the NFL. West Virginia’s Smith is the headliner and could go as high as No. 1 overall to the Kansas City Chiefs. On Tuesday, Spavital described Smith as the quintessential “film junkie.” Through these last few years, he has coached the record-setting Case Keenum at Houston, Brandon Weeden at Oklahoma State and then Smith.

Out of the three, Smith was the most complete quarterback. And while outsiders may have doubts, Spavital believes Smith has a skill-set that will translate to the pros.

To him, the Chiefs have to take Geno Smith first overall.

“I think it’s a no-brainer to take the first quarterback overall,” he said. “I’ve been around some pretty good ones and I’ve never seen a guy that’s this complete as a quarterback. And he’s hungry.”
    On that iPad, Smith watched every snap of Aaron Rodgers’ season in 2011. Sometimes, Spavital joined him but usually Smith watched the Packers quarterback on his own. The 6-foot-3, 215-pounder began mimicking Rodgers’ play-action tendencies. The Packers and Mountaineers run a handful of similar formations. In the split-back, play-action game, Smith noticed that Rodgers rides a prolonged fake to the running back to protect himself longer in the pocket.

So he started doing the same thing at West Virginia.

Same story with Drew Brees. Smith liked how Brees pump-faked the opposite direction before throwing screen passes to backs, so he picked that habit up, too.

“He studies it,” Spavital said. “With Brandon Weeden, I couldn’t say that about him. I love the guy to death but he had some good guys around him. Brandon knew how to get the ball to those guys. There were times at West Virginia when (Smith) had to create things.”

All three quarterbacks Spavital coached were very different. He said Keenum had the quickest release of the three but didn’t measure up physically. Weeden had the “strongest arm” but also benefited from a strong supporting cast.

Smith was the best overall player. Neither Weeden or Keenum were quite the student of the game, too.
    “He could do it all,” Spavital said. “He could be under center. He can throw out of the shotgun. He can throw comebacks. He can pull it and run when he needs to. We got to do some pretty good stuff with Geno because he was such a good student of the game and we could do anything with him. ... He impresses me a lot with the things that he can do — how he operates the game, how he studies. He would actually sit there and bring ideas to the table. There were times when we let him check 80% of the game. We put a lot on him and he’s capable of doing that."

Smith finished the 2012 season with 4,205 passing yards, 42 touchdowns and only six interceptions. At times, he was video-game efficient.
    In a 70-63 win over Baylor, Smith was a mind-boggling 45 of 51 for 656 yards with eight touchdowns and no picks. The next week — surrounded by 100,000-plus at Texas — he led West Virginia to a 48-45 win. And when Smith couldn't feel his hands in a frigid win over Iowa State, he pretended to do play-action fakes in the screen game to get a better grip on the ball.

Said Spavital, "He knows how to think on his feet and be creative with things.”
    But there was also that whole five-game losing streak in the middle of the season. Smith's early grip on the Heisman Trophy slipped away and the Mountaineers’ season ended with a thud against Syracuse when Smith was less than impressive. Spavital admits Smith didn't have enough touch on his deep ball as a junior, but said the mid-season struggles in 2012 were a reflection of coaches asking him to do too much more than Smith himself.

Overall, an attention to detail fed Smith's growth and he mostly shed any potential "system quarterback" label. Smith operated in the shotgun and under center. Immediately after each home game, Smith and Spavital watched a replay of the full game together. Smith cleaned up, grabbed food and brought it to his coach's office. He needed to see it while it was fresh in his mind.
    From there, Spavital said the quarterback would watch that Saturday's game “four or five times” before their next meeting together.

At the NFL scouting combine, Smith now has a chance to cash in.
    “There are those guys that are ‘what can football do for me?’ He’s ‘what can I do for football,’” Spavital said. “That’s how he approaches it. You take the game away from him and he’s got nothing.”
    http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/190936841.html

I was fortunate enough to hang out with jake spavital over the superbowl. We have a mutual friend that he was friends with at Missouri state. Had he not had so many shoulder injuries he may have had a chance. He seems to be an up and coming offensive mind. He HAD NOTHING NICE TO SAY ABOUT GENO! Not one thing.

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    I was fortunate enough to hang out with jake spavital over the superbowl. We have a mutual friend that he was friends with at Missouri state. Had he not had so many shoulder injuries he may have had a chance. He seems to be an up and coming offensive mind. He HAD NOTHING NICE TO SAY ABOUT GENO! Not one thing.
    What DID he say?

You can't say something like that and then not provide examples.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

He called him a prima Donna and said he's never had to work so hard to get someone to be humble and be a student of the game so this football nerd mentality that all are talking about is jake spavital beating it in him. He said that with complete certainty that Geno Snith will not go number one. Unless he's being coached up for the interview process that's where he gonna tank. And of course if he just goes off at the combine.

We are both mutual friends of the grandson of the owner of Kelly's on Westport. They went to Missouri state together and were roommates.

So which story is true. It contradicts the first post. Im not sold on smith either way. Just futhers my suspision with smith and his gangsigns that i heard he made.

I mean I hung out with jake for about 5 hours and my buddy Ryan Kelly has known him for years and Ryan had told me leading up to this debat he hoped that the chiefs weren't even considering him, which was I have been opposed to Geno. Spave, his nickname, just confirmed. He actually called him a basket case.

I mean I hung out with jake for about 5 hours and my buddy Ryan Kelly has known him for years and Ryan had told me leading up to this debat he hoped that the chiefs weren't even considering him, which was I have been opposed to Geno. Spave, his nickname, just confirmed. He actually called him a basket case.
    Okay, so why would his QB coach that says he's such a horrible person accept an interview talking about all the good things Geno does if he can't stand him so much? Everyone has the right to deny the interview if they feel like they'd be lying. Something has to give here, and we'll find out during the Combine.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    Okay, so why would his QB coach that says he's such a horrible person accept an interview talking about all the good things Geno does if he can't stand him so much? Everyone has the right to deny the interview if they feel like they'd be lying. Something has to give here, and we'll find out during the Combine.
    I don't remember watching or reading too many interviews where the coaches would badmouth or talk negatively about their current or former players. That just makes the coach look bad and damages his reputation as a coach and could possibly damage his career. There's no upside for a coach to badmouth a player on the record.

My 45 minute conversation with Herm Edwards was an eye opener when it came to this franchise, Scott Pioli, and some of the situations he faced as a coach in KC. Doubt he ever goes on the record with some of the stuff he told me.

. I don't know what to tell you all I mean the Internet doesn't lie........pretty sure I can find a gut that says the sky is actually purple and put it in quotes.

Jake said he was a basket case plain and simple.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast