Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Foles

Default Foles

Just wanted to get the Nick Foles talk going. I don't think that people outside of Philadelphia realize just how good this kid is. There's an assumption that because he was a 3rd round pick who played for a bad team (unlike Wilson, who was lucky enough to play for a good team) that he's just a typical 3rd round pick - no big deal. This couldn't be further from the truth. Nick Foles is BETTER than ANY QB in this draft! If you could get him from Philly for a 3rd round pick (which is the rumor, with Kelly looking for more mobile QBs) it would be a STEAL and you would have your franchise QB of the future.

A few numbers (provided by Reuben Frank of csnphilly.com and Les Bowen of philly.com). Nick Foles is the ONLY rookie QB in NFL HISTORY to throw for more than 240 yards/game AND complete over 60% of his passes. Only one EVER! For people who say they saw him throw interceptions, he ranks 2nd ALL TIME in fewest interceptions per pass attempt for an NFL rookie. EVER! He's ranked 5th all time in rookie completion percentage behind four QBs who played on teams that mostly ran, and third all time in total yards per game behind QBs he had better QB ratings than and higher completion percentages than. He had a higher QB rating last year than Andrew Luck and many other highly regarded NFL QBs.

A poll was taken by Comcast Philly asking, "Who should the Eagles starting QB be next year?" Amongst the people who watched him play, 48% said, "Nick Foles, 24% said "Michael Vick" and 25% said "some one else". This from the fan base of a team that also has a very high draft pick (#4 overall) and even more cap space than the Chiefs to find their QB. And btw, it's also notoriously the most negative and impossible to please fan base, and they love the dude.

There's a huge movement in KC to reach for a QB #1 just because you can. This guy is better than any QB in the draft and you can get him for much less. When and if Reid/Dorsey decide to trade for Foles, and I suspect they will because they're bright guys, do NOT be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by drstandley31 View Post
    For as many bad choices as we've made in past drafts, giving up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a quality QB doesn't sound so bad to me. Where is Phiilly picking in the 1st round? maybe you get him for switching picks, if they're not too high up. just thoughts, I'm sure 20 of you will beat the #$#% out of me for that comment.

They pick 4th overall which trading the pick is basically equivalent to trading the Eagles a mid-first round pick. I'd be ok with trading a mid-late 2nd round pick or trade 1sts for Foles.

At first look swapping 1rst round picks with them for Foles makes a ton of sense. They are in desperate need of OL. He has to be looked at with little value to the team with Kelleys offense.

We need them to fall in love with Smith or Joechel... Maybe then they would consider moving up.

Yeah. The biggest problem with the Chiefs trading their #1 pick is that right now, there doesn't seem to be that big player that other teams would want to trade up to pick.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Yeah. The biggest problem with the Chiefs trading their #1 pick is that right now, there doesn't seem to be that big player that other teams would want to trade up to pick.
    Indeed. Do you feel like we are watching a chess match right now? Just as Philly informs us that Foles is off the market, reports of the Chiefs being most interested in Alex Smith flood in. These teams WANT to trade their QBs. I guess this is what it takes to maximize their value.

I can't see any other real suitors for Foles other than us. If Philly lets him set on their bench, essentially declining in value every year he does, and miss out on a 3rd round pick they are fools.

The Eagles are probably saying in public they wont trade him and then telling Dorsey that they a 1st round pick. If I were in Dorsey's shoes, I would be calling both the Eagles and the 49ers. I would then counter with, "ok, thanks, we are going to call the 49ers about A. Smith." Then see what the 49ers want. Then play each team off of each other: "Hey Eagles, the 49ers are telling us they will take XX for A. Smith. Foles is less proven than Smith, so give us a better deal."

Exactly... The thing that worries me about A. Smith is that he is going to be released by the 49ers if they can't find a trade partner. NO way in hell are they paying him $8.5m to set on the bench. They are simply banking on a desperate situation for the Chiefs. Arizona is the only other team I can think of that would be interested in A. Smith. But after the Kolb nightmare I could see them being more than reluctant. What we need is for G. Smith to have a great Combine and Pro Day, get some media buzz. This will give the leverage back to us. At which point we have to trust our new coach to move on the best QB for our team.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123