Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: dwayne bowe and chiefs currantly negotiating

Default dwayne bowe and chiefs currantly negotiating

Earlier on Thursday, we asked if Dwayne Bowe would be the best wide receiver available in free agency this offseason. Perhaps he won't even become available after all.
    Offseason Forecast: Chiefs
    With the offseason under way, Around The League examines what's next for all 32 teams. Kareem Copeland tackles the Chiefs. More ...

Ian Rapoport reported Thursday night on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access" that the Kansas City Chiefs are actively pursuing a new contract with Bowe, according to sources close to the situation. Bowe's representatives have met with the Chiefs, and Rapoport expects conversations to continue in the coming weeks.
    This is a bit of a surprise, but perhaps it shouldn't be. This is a brand new Chiefs regime that clearly could view Bowe in a different light than former general manager Scott Pioli, who didn't appear willing to give Bowe the long-term deal that he wanted. Rapoport reports that Andy Reid was very high on Bowe coming out of LSU.
    The Chiefs need a ton of help on offense, notably at quarterback and wide receiver. Their passing game practically is starting from scratch. Perhaps Reid's first big purchase as Chiefs coach will be a very familiar name.
    UPDATE: Rapoport also reported Thursday that in addiition to Bowe, the Chiefs would like to bring back offensive tackle Branden Albert. The Chiefs have talked with his representatives and should be able to sign both players, according to Rapoport.

Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post
    Just because we have $20 million cap space doesn't mean we have to spend it on two guys that is 1/6 of the total cap for 2 out of 53 players and yes they are both wanting that kind of money from what I hear they both want to be paid as a top 5 player at their position.
    Would you rather have Tyson Jackson for $14mm or Bowe and Albert for $16-18mm. No question in my mind what the better cap solution is. 95% chance Tyson Jackson has played his last game as a Chief. And with Dorsey and Jackson gone, don't be shocked if we take ANOTHER DT with the first pick.

Ideal scenario would be a trade back scenario to pick up Foles. Though I haven't watched a single game that Foles played in. I assume if Reid wants him, there is good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Would you rather have Tyson Jackson for $14mm or Bowe and Albert for $16-18mm. No question in my mind what the better cap solution is. 95% chance Tyson Jackson has played his last game as a Chief. And with Dorsey and Jackson gone, don't be shocked if we take ANOTHER DT with the first pick.

Ideal scenario would be a trade back scenario to pick up Foles. Though I haven't watched a single game that Foles played in. I assume if Reid wants him, there is good reason.
    The Chiefs still haven't cut/restructured Jackson yet. I've watched Foles since we was at Austin Westlake. Even in H.S., this guy looked like he'd be playing on Sunday. Glad to see he got his shot last year. Just from a personal standpoint, it would be pretty cool to see him play for the Chiefs.

I agree that the ideal scenario would be for the Chiefs to trade down. They if they can trade down from #1, do it. The problem is that right now, there isn't that perceived "great player" at #1 overall that is going to make a team give up the bounty necessary to grab that spot. Hopefully, someone will need a franchise LT and they'll do whatever's necessary to trade up to get him. Otherwise, I think the Chiefs are picking at #1.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post

I don't disagree with you on a lot of what you say and if they resign Albert then I would expect them to go DL also in the first. What I was getting at is if we do resign both Bowe and Albert we will not have a lot of cap for all these FA everyone wants to pick up. Yes I think Jackson is gone unless he restructures which will only free up $11.5 million because he is guaranteed $3.22 million and you did not mention the $5.6 million we will save on Cassell because his guarantee is $4.2 million so with those two gone you are only looking at $17.1 million which has around $7 million rookie pool leaving only $10 million for free agents, either one big one, two average ones or a several of backups. I forgot to take in to account Colquitt say $2 million, which I don't know if that is enough and we are down to about $8 million so you can forget the one big name.

Now just think if we would have signed Carr last year at around $10 million a year we would be over the cap after cutting Cassell and Jackson.
    Last edited by N TX Dave; 02-17-2013 at 01:02 PM.

I don't disagree with you on a lot of what you say and if they resign Albert then I would expect them to go DL also in the first. What I was getting at is if we do resign both Bowe and Albert we will not have a lot of cap for all these FA everyone wants to pick up. Yes I think Jackson is gone unless he restructures which will only free up $11.5 million because he is guaranteed $3.22 million and you did not mention the $5.6 million we will save on Cassell because his guarantee is $4.2 million so with those two gone you are only looking at $17.1 million which has around $7 million rookie pool leaving only $10 million for free agents, either one big one, two average ones or a several of backups. I forgot to take in to account Colquitt say $2 million, which I don't know if that is enough and we are down to about $8 million so you can forget the one big name.

Now just think if we would have signed Carr last year at around $10 million a year we would be over the cap after cutting Cassell and Jackson.
    good break down but you did not take into fact that there is 53 players on the roster.when talking about what free agents we can sign. there will be more than just 2 players who get cut. there will be more cap space saved than just cassel and jackson if they go that route

Quote Originally Posted by slc chief View Post
    good break down but you did not take into fact that there is 53 players on the roster.when talking about what free agents we can sign. there will be more than just 2 players who get cut. there will be more cap space saved than just cassel and jackson if they go that route
    Likewise there are other of are FA that we sign that will take it right back as well as the onew we have signed already.

cut jackson, dorsey, cassel, resign bowe and albert
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

The Chiefs will have 5 of the first 100 picks on draft day, including the #1 overall pick. Thank goodness we have a rookie salary cap now, otherwise it would be have been a blood bath in KC this year. Teams with as much talent as ours don't typically get the #1 pick in the draft in my opinion.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123