Thread: Geno Smith Scouting Report by Bucky Brooks UPDATED

Default Geno Smith Scouting Report by Bucky Brooks UPDATED

No, this isn't the same one that's been posted before with him comparing Geno Smith to Jason Campbell. This one is fresh off the presses!

For the whole article on player comparisons, go here.
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap10...er-comparisons

Here's the part on Geno Smith:

Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia

NFL comparison: Sam Bradford, St. Louis Rams
    Smith has been described as a "ho-hum" quarterback prospect in some circles, but I see a polished pocket passer with outstanding arm talent and passing skills. Smith displays the capacity to throw the ball accurately to every area of the field with zip, velocity and touch. Additionally, he flashes anticipation and awareness by leading receivers into open areas against tight coverage. Although a lot has been made of Smith's late-season struggles -- he tossed six interceptions over Mountaineers' final seven games after throwing 25 touchdown passes with zero picks in the team's first six games -- the fact that he finished the season with a 42:6 touchdown-to-interception ratio behind a leaky offensive line suggests that the reports of his questionable pocket presence and progression awareness are greatly exaggerated. Now, I'm not suggesting Smith doesn't have flaws that should rate as concerns for prospective teams, but I don't believe his deficiencies are significant enough to keep him from being a productive starter in the NFL.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Oh he'll start in the NFL, there's no question in my mind. The question is will Dorsey see him as the best available player? I just don't see a lot of evidence that Dorsey views Geno in that way.

Is there that much of a gap in telant if we draft one in the first or second round?

I believe Dorsey is playing tough and is looking for a trade. He does not want anyone to know which route he is taking. So far its anyones guess. I hope some team comes up with a good offer, and we trade into the 8th thru 15th spot. It sure would be nice to pick up a early second, and dont think thats out of line. If no one trades and we dont have a new qb by draft day, I see Geno being a chief no matter what Dorsey is saying now. Unless another qb does really well in the combine.
    Last edited by 70 chiefsfan70; 02-19-2013 at 06:05 PM.

Well, anything is certainly possible and I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination but I just don't see Dorsey trading down.

Gil Brandt has Geno rated #4 amongst his top 100 prospects.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...best-prospects

We'll have to wait until draft day to see if Dorsey and Reid come to the same conclusion.