Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chiefs cut breaston and boss

Default chiefs cut breaston and boss

A couple of veteran pieces in the Chiefs’ passing game are being sent packing from Kansas City.
    The Chiefs announced today that they have released wide receiver Steve Breaston and tight end Kevin Boss.
    After showing promise as a big-play receiver early in his career with the Cardinals, Breaston signed a five-year, $23 million contract with the Chiefs in 2011. But Breaston was just OK in 2011, with 61 catches for 785 yards, and in 2012 he was largely phased out of the offense, catching just seven passes for 74 yards.
    Still, Breaston is a 29-year-old who has talent, and he’ll have suitors in free agency. A logical landing spot could be Pittsburgh: That’s Breaston’s hometown, the Steelers are likely to look for a receiver after Mike Wallace signs elsewhere, and Breaston was a favorite of Todd Haley, who coached him in both Arizona and Kansas City and is now the Steelers’ offensive coordinator.
    Boss has been a starter for both the Giants and the Raiders and was expected to be a starter for the Chiefs as well, but he played in just two games for the Chiefs last season before being lost for the season with a concussion. His future is uncertain.

can you say trimming the fat/ cap space

Jackson and Cassel would lead me to believe its for cap reasons, this smells of just not a good fit with where Reid is trying to go. I have to doubt if Boss will ever play again. Going to IR after week 2 and being a new father it doesn't seem in his best interest to continue to play. Breaston was always kind of meh, he was alright but never really stuck me as a have to have guy.

Quote Originally Posted by #58ChiefsFan View Post
    Jackson and Cassel would lead me to believe its for cap reasons, this smells of just not a good fit with where Reid is trying to go. I have to doubt if Boss will ever play again. Going to IR after week 2 and being a new father it doesn't seem in his best interest to continue to play. Breaston was always kind of meh, he was alright but never really stuck me as a have to have guy.

nah this was clearly a cap cut. breaston was due 4 million this year. he is a servicable player. if andy would have cut him in mini camp than i would believe he didn't fit the scheme. looks like they are serious about signing bowe and albert........... see the article below cutting cap space per nfl network

I was hoping that we'd hang onto Breaston.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    I was hoping that we'd hang onto Breaston.
    i am not upset to see him go he had plenty of chances to step it up but didn't. never really produced as much as his talent would leave you to believe. servicable player but not for 4 mil a year. maybe wrong scheme or coaching definantly didn't have the best qb's

Quote Originally Posted by slc chief View Post
    i am not upset to see him go he had plenty of chances to step it up but didn't. never really produced as much as his talent would leave you to believe. servicable player but not for 4 mil a year. maybe wrong scheme or coaching definantly didn't have the best qb's

Which is exactly why I would have liked for the Chiefs to hang onto him for, at least, one more season.

Quote Originally Posted by slc chief View Post
    How many better WR do we have on the team?

Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post
    according to last years stats all of them that started a game. he didn't get put on the bench for having a stellar work ethic in practice or for competing to hard

Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post
    The question is, how many better WRs WILL be on the team when the season starts. My guess is four or five.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast