Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bart Scott Makes Too Much Sense

Default Bart Scott Makes Too Much Sense

It's really hard to think about Bart Scott and not see him in Chiefs red next season. The Chiefs need an ILB and a field general to place next to D.J. He played under Sutton the last couple years and as the new D.C. tries to implement a new version of the 3-4, who better to help in that venture than a guy who's been in the Rex Ryan system since he came into the league? He's 32 and wouldn't be a great long-term fit, but a 2-year deal would make a lot of sense for the Chiefs.

Bill Williamson at ESPN has already touched on the subject:

"Don’t be shocked if you hear of the Kansas City Chiefs showing interest in veteran linebackerBart Scott.

He was just cut by the Jets. There are reasons to think the Chiefs could be interested in Scott. It starts with the presence of new Kansas City defensive coordinator Bob Sutton. He was Scott’s position coach in all four of the linebacker's seasons in New York. If Sutton thinks Scott can help the Chiefs, I’m sure he’d push for him.

Kansas City also could use a veteran inside linebacker. The team has Pro Bowlers in outside linebackers Tamba Hali and Justin Houston and inside linebacker Derrick Johnson. Adding a savvy veteran like Scott, who knows how to play under Sutton, may be beneficial.

Scott is also known as a confident leader. The young Chiefs could use a veteran voice like Scott's.

However, there are some potential pratfalls. Scott will turn 33 in August, his production slipped last season and he had offseason surgery. But there may be enough short-term positives to make it worth the Chiefs’ while to consider Scott.

The Chiefs have already considered the market of released veterans. Last week, they visited with former Giants defensive end Chris Canty, who also visited with Tennessee. Canty is 30, so it shows the Chiefs’ new brass is open to considering aging veterans who have been released by other teams."

What kind of money do you think it will take to sign him?

He was due $8.6 mil this year and $8 mil in 2014 under his contract before release.

i wouldn't mined signing him if his attitude is right. that's something the chiefs have been missing is veteran leadership.

My concern is that I think he would want more $$ than what a 2-down LB would be worth. I would rather spend that money on QB, WR, LT, LG, CB, FS, DL and THEN on ILB. Our LBers were pretty strong (with 3 pro-bowlers, granted one was an alternate) so I would hesitate to spend a lot of money on one of our positions of strength.

If he were to take a couple mil/year for like 3 years, then yes. With how tight we currently are in the cap, I woud find it hard to justify spending more than 4 mil/yr.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    What kind of money do you think it will take to sign him?
    I'd offer 2/$6.5m. If he walks away from that, oh well. But these kinds of players are why I'd be more inclined to let Albert walk. For what we'd sign Albert for, we could have 2 players like Scott while getting a cheaper upgrade in the draft at LT.

Found out tonight that the tag number for franchising a LT is over $15m. Albert isn't worth that for one year. So, it's either long-term deal in the $7m/yr range or bust for me with Albert.

15 mil?! Geez! If we franchised him, I dont even know if we would be able to sign our draft picks! Yeah, I think it is either 7-8mil/yr or Joeckel. I like Albert, but that would seriously hamstring us.

As an Eagles fan, I could tell you that there is NO chance that the Chiefs sign Bart Scott. For 12 years Reid's strategy was to sign young players and stay away from anyone who has hit the 30 mark. They'd always scoff at the Redskins who would sign all these expensive guys that used to be good, but who hit 30, and then the Eagles would go out and destroy them. Two years ago, for whatever reason, he switched gears, when out and signed Asomougha, Babin, Cullen Jenkins, Ronnie Brown and extended the contracts of Trent Cole and Todd Herrimans. WOW did that backfire in a big way. He will NOT be doing that again.

On that note, I have some news that is really going to disappoint Chiefs fans. Hali and DJ are getting up there. When their contracts run out, and I'm not sure when that is, they will NOT be back. Hali might have 12 sacks in the last year of his contract. He won't be back after that. If Reid was willing to let Brian Dawkins, Troy Vincent, Hugh Douglas, Bobby Taylor, Jeremiah Trotter, Tra Thomas... go, he'll let Hali and DJ go. The good news? He'll find some guys in their early to mid 20s you never heard of who will turn out to be studs and you'll get 6 or 7 years out of them. But the KC Chiefs will NOT sign Bart Scott.

I am not saying that I condone the idea of signing Scott. I think he would cost more than his production would warrant. I am of the mindset of a less expensive draft pick this year to fill the ILB spot and let him play with 3 pro bowlers to foster his development. As far as age goes, Canty was in for a visit immediately after his release and he will turn 31 in November.

The only thing I will say is Reid is not the only one to call the personnel shots so maybe Hali and DJ may stay and they may sign someone 30 why else would they bring in someone 31 to look at only time will tell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast