Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: chiefs interested in joeckel smith combo????????????????????/

Default chiefs interested in joeckel smith combo????????????????????/

Report: Chiefs interested in Alex Smith, Luke Joeckel

Posted by Josh Alper on February 24, 2013, 2:38 PM EST
    APTrade talks involving Nick Foles might not have gone anywhere, but that’s not the only trade option available to the Chiefs this offseason.
    Alex Smith would be another possibility and Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network and NFL.com reports that it is one that interests them. Rapoport writes that “word is starting to leak of their interest” in Smith and that the Chiefs have “shown more interest” than anyone else in making a trade for a quarterback that could become their starter in 2013.
    The 49ers said this week that all options are on the table in regard to Smith, who is set to make $8.5 million in 2013. A trade that allows Smith to at least challenge for a starting role while also bringing something back for the 49ers seems like the best one of those options for all involved.
    Rapoport also reports that the Chiefs are “high” on Texas A&M left tackle Luke Joeckel, a player who has been mentioned often in discussions of possibilities for the first overall pick in the draft. That’s not surprising, although interest in Joeckel will help dictate what the team does with current left tackle Branden Albert, an impending free agent. There’s been some talk of keeping Albert and moving him to guard if Joeckel is the pick in April, albeit talk Albert thinks should cease and desist.
    With a decision looming for wide receiver Dwayne Bowe as well, the Chiefs will have plenty to do in the next couple of weeks as they plot their course into the free agency and trading season.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    From what I have heard and this is just rumors on the radia, but Albert is asking for a lot. (source may have been Nick Athan but that was over a week ago so I am not sure) Something like 15 million a year for 5 years. Still uncertain on how his back is.

That's his franchise tag #. Branden Albert does not deserve to be paid like a top 5 tackle in this league. End of conversation. If that's his number, it's gonna make the Chiefs' first round decision REALLY effin easy.

Cool so this team is in way better shape w/ Smith + Joeckel instead of Cassel + Albert.

What a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    From what I have heard and this is just rumors on the radia, but Albert is asking for a lot. (source may have been Nick Athan but that was over a week ago so I am not sure) Something like 15 million a year for 5 years. Still uncertain on how his back is.
    If Albert is wanting that much, then I do hope the deal for Alex Smith does go through and they do draft Joeckel. Albert is NOT worth that much. He isn't even in the top 3 of LT's in the AFC West division, let alone the NFL. Let him walk.

It's looking like the Joeckel lovers are gonna get your wish. I better see this team go sign a big time free agent with this cap money they supposedly saved by replacing our already good LT.
    Last edited by Coach; 02-28-2013 at 01:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    It's looking like the Joeckel lovers are gonna get your wish. I better see this team go sign a big time free agent with this cap money they supposedly saved by replacing our already good LT.
    He's wanting $15m/yr for 5 years. You honestly think he's worth that??

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Don't the Chiefs have a compensatory pick ( 3rd rounder ?? ) for Carr in the upcoming draft and could they not get a a compensatory pick regarding Albert if he walks? Why, yes, of course.

Not saying that the cost for Alex Smith wasn't high. It was. But, knowing the Chiefs history like I do, the most successful QB's they've had, have come from trade or FA -- not through the draft. Every QB that they've drafted since 1970 has been a BUST.

Dont worry, tgey'll use that money to sign Alex to a 5-year extension...I feel like I've seen this before.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    No. But he's not asking for that. Where did you read that he is wanting $15m/yr? I think you are referring to a franchise tag number, but even that is not $15m. The highest paid LT in the league makes less than $12mm/yr. He isn't asking for $15mm per season. He could probably be signed for something around $10mm per year. William Beatty got $8m/yr yesterday. Albert would be somewhere between there and the highest paid.

Just saying that that your argument for replacing one of the best left tackles in the league is to save cap space so we can spend it on free agents. I'm gonna be really f'ing disappointed when we come in $10mm under the cap as we do every year and will have wasted our #1 overall pick on a LT.
    Last edited by Coach; 02-28-2013 at 07:32 PM.

No. But he's not asking for that. Where did you read that he is wanting $15m/yr? I think you are referring to a franchise tag number, but even that is not $15m. The highest paid LT in the league makes less than $12mm/yr. He isn't asking for $15mm per season. He could probably be signed for something around $10mm per year. William Beatty got $8m/yr yesterday. Albert would be somewhere between there and the highest paid.

Just saying that that your argument for replacing one of the best left tackles in the league is to save cap space so we can spend it on free agents. I'm gonna be really f'ing disappointed when we come in $10mm under the cap as we do every year and will have wasted our #1 overall pick on a LT.
    I can't find where I saw it but I was definitely shocked when I read it. I agree that he'll probably end up signing somewhere in the $8-10m range. I don't think this administration is going to sit on excess cap space the way Pioli did. I don't understand Pioli's approach hardly at all. This team needed to be spending money to get better and they didn't. Perhaps Pioli has a good explanation for that... but until I hear it, I'll remain confused. I think these guys understand this franchise is built to win right now. I think that's one of the biggest reasons they went after Alex Smith instead of one of the rookies. They need to turn this thing around immediately and they're going to use everything at their disposal.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234