Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: chiefs interested in joeckel smith combo????????????????????/

Default chiefs interested in joeckel smith combo????????????????????/

Report: Chiefs interested in Alex Smith, Luke Joeckel

Posted by Josh Alper on February 24, 2013, 2:38 PM EST
    APTrade talks involving Nick Foles might not have gone anywhere, but that’s not the only trade option available to the Chiefs this offseason.
    Alex Smith would be another possibility and Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network and NFL.com reports that it is one that interests them. Rapoport writes that “word is starting to leak of their interest” in Smith and that the Chiefs have “shown more interest” than anyone else in making a trade for a quarterback that could become their starter in 2013.
    The 49ers said this week that all options are on the table in regard to Smith, who is set to make $8.5 million in 2013. A trade that allows Smith to at least challenge for a starting role while also bringing something back for the 49ers seems like the best one of those options for all involved.
    Rapoport also reports that the Chiefs are “high” on Texas A&M left tackle Luke Joeckel, a player who has been mentioned often in discussions of possibilities for the first overall pick in the draft. That’s not surprising, although interest in Joeckel will help dictate what the team does with current left tackle Branden Albert, an impending free agent. There’s been some talk of keeping Albert and moving him to guard if Joeckel is the pick in April, albeit talk Albert thinks should cease and desist.
    With a decision looming for wide receiver Dwayne Bowe as well, the Chiefs will have plenty to do in the next couple of weeks as they plot their course into the free agency and trading season.

Not that many people care on this board, but if it is official and they trade for Alex Smith and don't draft Geno I'm done. I sat through, cried and complained about the Pioli regime for 2 years. We keep bringing in FA qb after FA qb and we still wonder why we can't be competitive every year.

If April rolls around and there is no Geno I will quit following the Chiefs, posting on this forum and will be done watching games, until I actually see some promise is when I will start caring.

Quote Originally Posted by MyManHali View Post
    Not that many people care on this board, but if it is official and they trade for Alex Smith and don't draft Geno I'm done. I sat through, cried and complained about the Pioli regime for 2 years. We keep bringing in FA qb after FA qb and we still wonder why we can't be competitive every year.

If April rolls around and there is no Geno I will quit following the Chiefs, posting on this forum and will be done watching games, until I actually see some promise is when I will start caring.
    everyone is jumping to conclusions. No deal has been announced. And it is still very likely that the Chiefs will use an early on a QB. It's highly unlikely that Geno would be left at the top of the 2nd rd, but there will be a good option for us at QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs fanatic View Post
    If we do end up taking Joeckel, the money we save by not resigning Albert would allow us to sign other free agents that address areas of need.
    If you draft Joeckel instead of paying Albert, you are essentially saying that Albert is equal to #1 overall pick plus $3-4mm/yr cap money. Albert is a good LT. Why are we replacing our best players with the #1 pick?

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    If you draft Joeckel instead of paying Albert, you are essentially saying that Albert is equal to #1 overall pick plus $3-4mm/yr cap money. Albert is a good LT. Why are we replacing our best players with the #1 pick?
    You said it very well. We have soooooo many needs and also huge talent and we just dont have enough time to do small improvements as the huge talent is getting older and are running out of years on their contract.

Everyone is speculating here as mentioned and I am going to as well...maybe Albert's injury back I believe is more significant than we know and you can't go giving contracts to a player who may have this lingering issue...As far as Alex Smith is concerned you need someone to play QB and to all the Geno lovers...MyManHali...there is not a QB from what the experts are saying and I am not one of them that can start right away so at least they are potentially getting someone who can start right away.

Smith only has two more years on his contract. Smith's projected cap figures for the three years of his contract are $9.25 million in 2012, $9.75 million in 2013, and $8.75 million in 2014.

As far a Albert goes who says that the Chiefs don't want him, for all we know the Chiefs might have offered him a good contract and Albert might want to see what he can get in the free market or him might want out of KC so it might be Albert's fault he does not have a contract.

Why is it always the Chiefs fault when there is a contract problem? Last year people jumped all over the Chiefs for letting Carr sign a $50 million contract with his home town Cowboys. They would have had to pay more to keep him here so if you take $10 million ore out of the cap we are now down to around $8 million about the rookie hit this year. This is not Madden FB were you can get the best players in every position.

Mymanhali is has been nice knowing you because the Chiefs are probably not going to draft Geno with the first pick.

No, it's saying that a #1 overall LT+$3-4M/yr cap money is GREATER than Albert-$3-4M/yr cap money. If taking the best player in the draft was a lateral move, I wouldn't be for it either.

Bye mymanorton..errrrrrr..mymanhali.....lmao

according to this report even the cardinals think k.c is where smith will go

The Arizona Cardinals will check in on the availability of San Francisco 49ers quarterback Alex Smith. They just don't expect much to come of it.
    Schein: Smith perfect for Chiefs
    Alex Smith to the Chiefs? Adam Schein says he couldn't think of a more perfect trade for Andy Reid and Co. to pull off. More ...

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday on "NFL Total Access" that the Cardinals are interested in Smith, but they are extremely pessimistic a deal with the Niners will happen because they share the same division.
    The Cardinals -- like the rest of the football world -- believe the Kansas City Chiefs are the frontrunners to land Smith. That won't stop Arizona from inquiring. One source told Rapoport: "Nothing to lose."
    Rapoport has been told the Cleveland Browns also are "in the picture."
    This all makes sense. Despite a Sunday report that a Smith deal was "effectively complete," the 49ers would be foolish to turn their backs on another team that might offer a better package than the Chie -- sorry, mystery team.
    Follow Dan Hanzus on Twitter @DanHanzus.

From what I have heard and this is just rumors on the radia, but Albert is asking for a lot. (source may have been Nick Athan but that was over a week ago so I am not sure) Something like 15 million a year for 5 years. Still uncertain on how his back is.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast