Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Star Lotulelei Has Heart Condition

Default Star Lotulelei Has Heart Condition

Per ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/8981415/2013-nfl-draft-combine-star-lotulelei-heart-condition-work-monday-according-sources

This deals a serious blow to the Chiefs chances of dealing the #1 overall pick if they were looking to trade down. On the flip side, could Lotulelei be a possible 5th or 6th round pick for the Chiefs if he decides to continue playing? hmm

Add this guy to the name of potential top 5 or 10 overall talents that could be available in the later rounds. How would you like to see a 3rd-6th round produce names like Ogletree (failed drug test), Lattimore (2 knee surgeries/fast healer), Lotulelei (heart condition), and Matheiu (failed drug test) to go along with the 1st and 2nd round picks? Geez. Each of those guys present EXTREMELY low risk and EXTREMELY high upside if they were to be taken after the 2nd round. If things had gone right, each of those names COULD have been top 10 overall picks. IMO, they'd be no-brainer selections after the 2nd round was over and I'd take them in that order. Put Joekel at #1 and a QB in the 2nd and the Chiefs would be the walk-away winners of the draft, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Not including trade-down compensation, if the Chiefs just stayed where they are in the draft, it's not inconceivable to see these guys available when the Chiefs draft:

1. Luke Joekel
    2. Manti Teo
    3. Ogletree
    3b. Bray
    4. Lattimore
    5. Lotulelei
    6. Mathieu
    No way that Star falls that far in my opinion.

No sh!t, right? But seriously, I had this 2 paragraph response that it won't let me post. lol
    Pretty weird. Did it give some kind of error message.

They said it could be just from his diet that he was on and lost 10 pounds in 3 days before the combine. It could be somthing small.

As a doctor, I have a hard time trying to figure out a way that a diet (short of a lack of a few specific essential vitamins, but even that takes months/years to develop; or alcoholism) would cause the heart muscle of the L ventricle to get bigger. Unless by "diet" they mean PEDs that are stimulants or other medications that he could have been on. Those are known to cause ventricular hypertrophy and stiffening which would decrease the ejection fraction.

Saying it was "just diet" sounds to me like some PR guy at his agent's office trying to save his draft stock.

Then again, I am just speculating on what I have read, which is speculation. Without any first hand knowledge, no one knows what exactly was wrong with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Pretty weird. Did it give some kind of error message.
    No. It just told me that the page I was trying to get to no longer existed. I lost the paragraphs. Not the first time I've lost a long response since the new updates to the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    No way that Star falls that far in my opinion.
    Really? I don't see too many teams lining up to spend a top pick on the next possible Korey Stringer.

Romeo would say "he has a heart"

No. It just told me that the page I was trying to get to no longer existed. I lost the paragraphs. Not the first time I've lost a long response since the new updates to the site.

Really? I don't see too many teams lining up to spend a top pick on the next possible Korey Stringer.
    Time will tell. But Mock draft and draft experts don't have him falling past the 1st round.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Time will tell. But Mock draft and draft experts don't have him falling past the 1st round.
    Something would have to come out that seriously put all the heart talk to rest in order for one of these teams to spend a pick on him in the first 2 rounds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12