Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: chiefs interested in joeckel smith combo????????????????????/

Default chiefs interested in joeckel smith combo????????????????????/

Report: Chiefs interested in Alex Smith, Luke Joeckel

Posted by Josh Alper on February 24, 2013, 2:38 PM EST
    APTrade talks involving Nick Foles might not have gone anywhere, but that’s not the only trade option available to the Chiefs this offseason.
    Alex Smith would be another possibility and Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network and NFL.com reports that it is one that interests them. Rapoport writes that “word is starting to leak of their interest” in Smith and that the Chiefs have “shown more interest” than anyone else in making a trade for a quarterback that could become their starter in 2013.
    The 49ers said this week that all options are on the table in regard to Smith, who is set to make $8.5 million in 2013. A trade that allows Smith to at least challenge for a starting role while also bringing something back for the 49ers seems like the best one of those options for all involved.
    Rapoport also reports that the Chiefs are “high” on Texas A&M left tackle Luke Joeckel, a player who has been mentioned often in discussions of possibilities for the first overall pick in the draft. That’s not surprising, although interest in Joeckel will help dictate what the team does with current left tackle Branden Albert, an impending free agent. There’s been some talk of keeping Albert and moving him to guard if Joeckel is the pick in April, albeit talk Albert thinks should cease and desist.
    With a decision looming for wide receiver Dwayne Bowe as well, the Chiefs will have plenty to do in the next couple of weeks as they plot their course into the free agency and trading season.

take it for what it's worth. i believe any info that get's leaked out this time of year is done so on purpose. maybe they are trying to send a message to the eagles or maybe they are serious about it. also there is a possability they are trying to get a team who is in love with joeckel to take the bait for a trade.

Some interesting tweets about Alex Smith by Jason La Canfora.

@JasonLaCanfora
    The 49ers have expressed to others that a deal for QB Alex Smith is effectively complete. Can't be finalized til league year begins 3/12
    @JasonLaCanfora
    so it's not official, both clubs view it at as it's effectively done. I do not know the other team. KC and JAX are 2 teams that make sense

I just kinda want to cry right now.

I'm sure the other team HAS to be K.C. Rumors have recently surfaced about Cassel being let go as well as Reid shooting down all the Foles discussions. Perhaps Philly is serious about keeping Foles. Nobody but those who are absolutely head over heels in love with Geno Smith believe he's worth the #1 pick, so that rules out a QB there. It also helps to know that Andy Reid went hot and heavy after Alex Smith last season in Philly. These Alex Smith rumors are also coupled with "leaks" that the Chiefs are "high on Luke Joekel." This should lead you to believe the Chiefs are either looking at letting Albert walk and taking Joekel, or they're trying to drive the interest in Joekel in a move to trade down. Either way, the info available shouldn't lead ANYONE to believe Geno Smith will be the pick at #1 or even part of the solution in K.C. at the QB position.

this doesnt mean any thing, what are we supposedly giving up for smith?
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    this doesnt mean any thing, what are we supposedly giving up for smith?
    i think it does reports are leaking out that the deal is all but done and that k.c is the team involved.......

uuuuuuugh another teams backup as our starter. alex smith comes with a bunch of question marks in my mind. i would feel better about it if they draft e.j manuel or tyler wilson in the 2nd or 3rd round .. and if they give up anything more than a 3rd i will be pissed i would like it to be a 4th

DeBerg, Montana, Bono, Grbac, Smith.

After watching the QB's all day on the NFL channel I think it's fairly safe to say that nobody believes that any of these qb's are worthy of the #1 overall pick. There doesn't seem to be much separation amongst the top 4-5 QB's. I think we could get just as good of a QB at the top of the second round as the one we would be reaching for if we used the #1 pick.

This still doesn't mean I'm in favor of using the #1 pick to draft a LT. I'd rather sign Albert and use the #1 pick in the draft to fill a position of need.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    This still doesn't mean I'm in favor of using the #1 pick to draft a LT. I'd rather sign Albert and use the #1 pick in the draft to fill a position of need.
    If we do end up taking Joeckel, the money we save by not resigning Albert would allow us to sign other free agents that address areas of need.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast