Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Lotulelei Has Heart Condition

Default Star Lotulelei Has Heart Condition

Per ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/8981415/2013-nfl-draft-combine-star-lotulelei-heart-condition-work-monday-according-sources

This deals a serious blow to the Chiefs chances of dealing the #1 overall pick if they were looking to trade down. On the flip side, could Lotulelei be a possible 5th or 6th round pick for the Chiefs if he decides to continue playing? hmm

Add this guy to the name of potential top 5 or 10 overall talents that could be available in the later rounds. How would you like to see a 3rd-6th round produce names like Ogletree (failed drug test), Lattimore (2 knee surgeries/fast healer), Lotulelei (heart condition), and Matheiu (failed drug test) to go along with the 1st and 2nd round picks? Geez. Each of those guys present EXTREMELY low risk and EXTREMELY high upside if they were to be taken after the 2nd round. If things had gone right, each of those names COULD have been top 10 overall picks. IMO, they'd be no-brainer selections after the 2nd round was over and I'd take them in that order. Put Joekel at #1 and a QB in the 2nd and the Chiefs would be the walk-away winners of the draft, hands down.

this is a crapy deal for star lotuleli. first off hope he gets well. if he does decide to play there is no way he drops to the 5th or 6th round. i read a local slc article that says the condition is treatable with a change up in his diet

If Star has what I think he does (a leaky valve or septal defect), it is a repairable condition. However, it will probably put him out for a season. If that was the case I wonder what would happen to his stock. I can see people still wanting him, because he would have a great shot at still being an outstanding lineman. But at the same time, how much would you give for a player who is not going to play for a year?

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    If Star has what I think he does (a leaky valve or septal defect), it is a repairable condition. However, it will probably put him out for a season. If that was the case I wonder what would happen to his stock. I can see people still wanting him, because he would have a great shot at still being an outstanding lineman. But at the same time, how much would you give for a player who is not going to play for a year?
    It may not even be that serious. It could be simply that he is a DL so he trains high intensity strength training a lot. Maybe prolonged strength training regimen caused hypertrophy of the left ventricle which could in turn decrease heart function. You could be right though too. He could have aortic insufficiency which could cause vasodilation of the left ventricle which would in turn decrease ejection fraction. That would be a little more serious of a problem if you're a professional athlete in need of a valve replacement, especially for a guy that young and big.

I can't reply to this thread

Left ventricular hypertrophy doesnt happen from strength training. It is usually because the ventricle is fighting higher pressure (i.e. a leaky valve or septal defect). It could be a rare diet/metabolic disorder, or it could be bad genetic luck (some people are born with hypertrophic hearts).

Sorry, back to the topic at hand. I would love to steal him for a mid round draft pick. Your scenario below would be close to a dream scenario for building for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    I can't reply to this thread
    Admitting the problem is half the battle. j/k

Not including trade-down compensation, if the Chiefs just stayed where they are in the draft, it's not inconceivable to see these guys available when the Chiefs draft:

1. Luke Joekel
    2. Manti Teo
    3. Ogletree
    3b. Bray
    4. Lattimore
    5. Lotulelei
    6. Mathieu

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Admitting the problem is half the battle. j/k

No sh!t, right? But seriously, I had this 2 paragraph response that it won't let me post. lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast