Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: ALEX SMITH = Done deal!!!

Default ALEX SMITH = Done deal!!!

Source: Chiefs to acquire Alex Smith
    ESPN.com news services | February 27, 2013
    The San Francisco 49ers have agreed to trade quarterback Alex Smith to the Kansas City Chiefs, a league source confirmed to ESPN.com's John Clayton.

Terms of the trade, which can't officially be completed until March 12 when the 2013 league year begins, weren't immediately available.

The trade agreement was first reported by Fox Sports' Jay Glazer on Twitter.

Smith, the 2005 No. 1 overall draft pick, lost his starting job to Colin Kaepernick while sitting out with a concussion but was professional at every turn and continued to mentor his replacement.

Before his injury, Smith had completed 26 of his last 28 passes -- including going 18-of-19 for 232 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions in a "Monday Night Football" win at Arizona on Oct. 29.

He then sustained a concussion in the second quarter of the 49ers' next game, a 24-24 tie against St. Louis on Nov. 11. Smith sat out the next game as Kaepernick dazzled in his debut as an NFL starter, beating the Bears handily at home on "Monday Night Football." Smith didn't start again last season.

The 28-year-old quarterback has thrown for 14,280 yards with 81 touchdowns and 63 interceptions in 80 career games.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

No. I am tired of settling down for backup QB's. Neither Tyler Wilson, Tyler Bray, or Geno Smith will be available to us in the 3rd round. If the aquisition of Smith is a reality (I believe it is), then he is our QB for at least next year. Why not use our 2nd pick for a QB with some upside that can be coached up rather than a game manager that was benched for a rookie?
    SHUT IT

You guys are amazing. From what I hear, the 2nd next year is conditional on Alex Smith's performance this year. His season was great this year and the guy didn't deserve to lose his job like that. We are chief fans and from what I hear we are very big on honor and pride. Alex lost his job and still showed poise, helping kapernick become a better QB. If nothing else what we get in this deal is a short term QB with the poise and self control to mentor our backup and get him game ready and at the same time giving us a chance to win. Some players make better coaches maybe the chiefs see him as this. The draft class this year sucks everyone is saying it. I still see the chiefs going after a QB with our 3rd rounder. There's still so much we can do with our #1 overall.

Alex please prove all the naysayers wrong and always GO CHIEFS!!!!!

I wanted Foles. Hope this works out, I can't keep watching bad football.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post
    You guys are amazing. From what I hear, the 2nd next year is conditional on Alex Smith's performance this year. His season was great this year and the guy didn't deserve to lose his job like that. We are chief fans and from what I hear we are very big on honor and pride. Alex lost his job and still showed poise, helping kapernick become a better QB. If nothing else what we get in this deal is a short term QB with the poise and self control to mentor our backup and get him game ready and at the same time giving us a chance to win. Some players make better coaches maybe the chiefs see him as this. The draft class this year sucks everyone is saying it. I still see the chiefs going after a QB with our 3rd rounder. There's still so much we can do with our #1 overall.

Alex please prove all the naysayers wrong and always GO CHIEFS!!!!!
    Most the people who are so upset with the Smith trade would only take Geno Smith. Any one else just wouldn't be acceptable to them.

Many including a number of 49er fans felt the Alex Smith got a bad deal when he lost his job due to injury He was playing well. He has proven that with talent and a good coaching staff around him that he can play well. It's up to the new gm to get that talent around him now.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Most the people who are so upset with the Smith trade would only take Geno Smith. Any one else just wouldn't be acceptable to them.

Many including a number of 49er fans felt the Alex Smith got a bad deal when he lost his job due to injury He was playing well. He has proven that with talent and a good coaching staff around him that he can play well. It's up to the new gm to get that talent around him now.
    From The Film Room:

The stats lie...sure Smith's %'s and rating increased under Harbaugh...but his usage decreased. The two years under Harbaugh...San Fran ranked 31st in the NFL in pass attempts. San Fran was defined by defense and the power game.

The thing that bothers me about this situation. Reid's offense is dependent on the Quarterback to make plays. Even under Harbaugh...while Smith's rating increased...the TD's, the yardage really didn't. All indications do not point to an improved QB...points to an improved scheme to mask the QB.

The biggest issue with Smith is the lack of understanding where the numbers come from. The INT's decreased...the rating rose...but the sacks he took nearly doubled. This particular change is reflected in the rating...he didn't improve as a passer...he simply stopped making mistakes.

It's why I would rather have Geno, atleast you are getting a product that has all the tools that can make plays and throw down field, you also have time to develop him with a young team. With Smith you are getting a short yardage qb who can't throw downfield.

Sound familiar?
    Last edited by MyManHali; 03-01-2013 at 07:49 PM.

When/If Alex Smith gets here, is he going re construct his contract? Also Joe Flacco JUST GOT PAID SON!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    When/If Alex Smith gets here, is he going re construct his contract? Also Joe Flacco JUST GOT PAID SON!!!!!!!!
    Yessir. Fat contract holy sheet!

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    Yessir. Fat contract holy sheet!

Quote Originally Posted by MyManHali View Post
    From The Film Room:

The stats lie...sure Smith's %'s and rating increased under Harbaugh...but his usage decreased. The two years under Harbaugh...San Fran ranked 31st in the NFL in pass attempts. San Fran was defined by defense and the power game.

The thing that bothers me about this situation. Reid's offense is dependent on the Quarterback to make plays. Even under Harbaugh...while Smith's rating increased...the TD's, the yardage really didn't. All indications do not point to an improved QB...points to an improved scheme to mask the QB.

The biggest issue with Smith is the lack of understanding where the numbers come from. The INT's decreased...the rating rose...but the sacks he took nearly doubled. This particular change is reflected in the rating...he didn't improve as a passer...he simply stopped making mistakes.

It's why I would rather have Geno, atleast you are getting a product that has all the tools that can make plays and throw down field, you also have time to develop him with a young team. With Smith you are getting a short yardage qb who can't throw downfield.

Sound familiar?
    WHAT

You mean if you put a QB in a better scheme for him he does better? SHOCKING. Harbaugh is a better coach then what the 49ers had before he put Smith in a better position to do well. That can be said of most QBs in the NFL. If the scheme isn't right for them they are not going to do great

Again with this throwing downfield stuff. It was posted in one of these threads that the difference between Alex smith and Geno smith YPC was a WHOPPING .1 last seaon WOW .1 yards WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO So I guess the difference between being a "noodle arm" and "being able to go downfield is now .1?
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    WHAT

You mean if you put a QB in a better scheme for him he does better? SHOCKING. Harbaugh is a better coach then what the 49ers had before he put Smith in a better position to do well. That can be said of most QBs in the NFL. If the scheme isn't right for them they are not going to do great

Again with this throwing downfield stuff. It was posted in one of these threads that the difference between Alex smith and Geno smith YPC was a WHOPPING .1 last seaon WOW .1 yards WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO So I guess the difference between being a "noodle arm" and "being able to go downfield is now .1?

The scheme was Smith throwing less and the offense being run heavy, and that is the qb you want?

You can develop Geno into what kind of product you want him to be, that is the best thing about drafting a quarterback.

If Smith was a rookie qb we would give him time to show he can improve, he isn't and he won't. We're stuck with a qb who can't throw the ball down the field.
    Last edited by MyManHali; 03-01-2013 at 11:01 PM.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast