Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: ALEX SMITH = Done deal!!!

Default ALEX SMITH = Done deal!!!

Source: Chiefs to acquire Alex Smith
    ESPN.com news services | February 27, 2013
    The San Francisco 49ers have agreed to trade quarterback Alex Smith to the Kansas City Chiefs, a league source confirmed to ESPN.com's John Clayton.

Terms of the trade, which can't officially be completed until March 12 when the 2013 league year begins, weren't immediately available.

The trade agreement was first reported by Fox Sports' Jay Glazer on Twitter.

Smith, the 2005 No. 1 overall draft pick, lost his starting job to Colin Kaepernick while sitting out with a concussion but was professional at every turn and continued to mentor his replacement.

Before his injury, Smith had completed 26 of his last 28 passes -- including going 18-of-19 for 232 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions in a "Monday Night Football" win at Arizona on Oct. 29.

He then sustained a concussion in the second quarter of the 49ers' next game, a 24-24 tie against St. Louis on Nov. 11. Smith sat out the next game as Kaepernick dazzled in his debut as an NFL starter, beating the Bears handily at home on "Monday Night Football." Smith didn't start again last season.

The 28-year-old quarterback has thrown for 14,280 yards with 81 touchdowns and 63 interceptions in 80 career games.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Another frightening fact:

The 49ers have been no higher than 25th in third-down conversion percentage for Alex Smith's entire career.

32nd
    26th
    32nd
    29th
    29th
    31st
    25th

Quote Originally Posted by MyManHali View Post
    The scheme was Smith throwing less and the offense being run heavy, and that is the qb you want?

You can develop Geno into what kind of product you want him to be, that is the best thing about drafting a quarterback.

If Smith was a rookie qb we would give him time to show he can improve, he isn't and he won't. We're stuck with a qb who can't throw the ball down the field.
    WHO CARES if we run the ball more then other teams you can still win with him. The 49ers won with him once they got a good coach. 20-6-1 not a bad record That's what Alex Smith is in his last 27 starts. That's a winning % of almost 75% Not bad But I'm sure you will ignore that to.

And again .1 yard that's the difference between your judgement of being able to throw the ball downfield and Not? .1 yard Stop with the he can't throw the ball downfield stuff if you're going to keep your lips on Geno's backside. They were basicly the same. And Alex Smith played against NFL teams Geno played in the big 12 which had a down year. But go on telling us how .1 yards is a big deal
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

I seem to remember a QB that the new head coach wanted, and got. That QB performed and was a great Chief, a leader. Yes we did not get a playoff win, but we lead the NFL in offense, and we were close to winning it all. This QB played for the other NFL team in the same state. We destroyed him when he was with that team. I was upset that we got him, but how he played for our team, I wish we had him again. Alex Smith is a Chief! That is all I have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    I seem to remember a QB that the new head coach wanted, and got. That QB performed and was a great Chief, a leader. Yes we did not get a playoff win, but we lead the NFL in offense, and we were close to winning it all. This QB played for the other NFL team in the same state. We destroyed him when he was with that team. I was upset that we got him, but how he played for our team, I wish we had him again. Alex Smith is a Chief! That is all I have to say.
    BUT BUT We didn't draft him and his name isn't Geno he clearly sucked

Ps I miss him to
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    The problem with that is Dick Vermeil knew Green very well and had worked with him in the past. Smith will be expected to come in here and throw more than he did in SF. He is a horrible player when he is asked to throw and win.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    WHO CARES if we run the ball more then other teams you can still win with him. The 49ers won with him once they got a good coach. 20-6-1 not a bad record That's what Alex Smith is in his last 27 starts. That's a winning % of almost 75% Not bad But I'm sure you will ignore that to.

And again .1 yard that's the difference between your judgement of being able to throw the ball downfield and Not? .1 yard Stop with the he can't throw the ball downfield stuff if you're going to keep your lips on Geno's backside. They were basicly the same. And Alex Smith played against NFL teams Geno played in the big 12 which had a down year. But go on telling us how .1 yards is a big deal

Not if you play good offenses that can put up points. We dont have a dominant defense like they do in SF, and since we don't Smith will struggle IMMENSELEY beating good offenses (See sig below)

What you don't understand is Smith will be asked to throw more here. When he was asked to throw in SF he struggled, it wasn't until Harbaugh came and reduced his attempts that he finally stopped making mistakes and his rating improved. Reid does not run a run heavy offense, he runs a passing attack.

He doesn't win games Matt, his running game and defense did. Only when they reduced his attempts and eliminate turnovers the offense played better. SF even let Smith shop around last offseason to different teams, teams that didn't even want him.

He isn't going to have Harbaugh in KC, he will be forced to pass, and then he will struggle.
    Last edited by MyManHali; 03-02-2013 at 02:13 AM.

Not if you play good offenses that can put up points. Smith struggles IMMENSELEY beating good offenses (See sig below)

What you don't understand is Smith will be asked to throw more here. When he was asked to throw in SF he struggled, it wasn't until Harbaugh came and reduced his attempts that he finally stopped making mistakes and his rating improved. Reid does not run a run heavy offense, he runs a passing attack.

He isn't going to have Harbaugh in KC, he will be forced to pass, and then he will struggle.

You mean when the d sucks it's harder to win well Ya. Geno had some trouble winning to with poor defense but I'm sure you wouldn't blame him for that. Once again your double standard is clear. Geno did have more wins the Alex but that wasn't against NFL teams either.

And tell me how you know what Reid will ask Smith to do. Have you talk to Reid about this? The fact is we have never seen Alex Smith play for Andy Reid. You can't tell me what Reid will be asking him to do.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

The problem with that is Dick Vermeil knew Green very well and had worked with him in the past. Smith will be expected to come in here and throw more than he did in SF. He is a horrible player when he is asked to throw and win.
    Well how do you know? You must have a great ability to know this, you must have watch his every game! As I see it, He is a Chief! As a Chief, I will support and believe in him, until not deserved.

The dude hasn't even thrown a pass as a chief and MMH says he sucks. Nice comparison to Trent green tornado. ANDY REID HAS BEEN KNOWN TO GET THE MOST OUT OF AVERAGE QBSHIS ENTIRE CAREER AND HAS BEEN SUCCESSFUL DOING SO. MMH can you please chill out until crap goes south. You wanted someone to come from Green Bay and we got the best evaluator of talent in the NFL, wouldn't it be safe to say he sees something that you and the rest of the Geno lovers don't. Geno is not a day 1 starter no matter his upside. And we still may draft him Christ you are one negative individual.

I'm not that disappointed that Alex Smith is a chief......... I'm just really upset that we gave up 2 second round picks for him, and to boot we have to pick up his tab and pay him double or more, possible triple, then if we had used up only our second this year and got the best available qb in the draft.

He is a 8 year vet. as a career has really sucked, but of recent looked very well under a super bowl caliber team, OL, WR, etc.

I'm just hoping this isn't the real story, and the niners are throwing in another player or paying for most of his salary, or maybe giving us an other 1st round pick.

A Smith, even in his very best can't and isn't worth what we think we paid for him. We are a 2 and 14 team..............................

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast