Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Thread: ALEX SMITH = Done deal!!!

Default ALEX SMITH = Done deal!!!

Source: Chiefs to acquire Alex Smith
    ESPN.com news services | February 27, 2013
    The San Francisco 49ers have agreed to trade quarterback Alex Smith to the Kansas City Chiefs, a league source confirmed to ESPN.com's John Clayton.

Terms of the trade, which can't officially be completed until March 12 when the 2013 league year begins, weren't immediately available.

The trade agreement was first reported by Fox Sports' Jay Glazer on Twitter.

Smith, the 2005 No. 1 overall draft pick, lost his starting job to Colin Kaepernick while sitting out with a concussion but was professional at every turn and continued to mentor his replacement.

Before his injury, Smith had completed 26 of his last 28 passes -- including going 18-of-19 for 232 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions in a "Monday Night Football" win at Arizona on Oct. 29.

He then sustained a concussion in the second quarter of the 49ers' next game, a 24-24 tie against St. Louis on Nov. 11. Smith sat out the next game as Kaepernick dazzled in his debut as an NFL starter, beating the Bears handily at home on "Monday Night Football." Smith didn't start again last season.

The 28-year-old quarterback has thrown for 14,280 yards with 81 touchdowns and 63 interceptions in 80 career games.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    Why ignore someone who has a different opinion?
    Agree 100%

I've been back and forth with my man probably more then anyone on this site. I've always been respectful to him and he to me. He has every right to his opinion just like I have the right to mine. I think he's a little full of himself he thinks I'm just a big homer. But when you're on a forum you have to expect there will be people who don't agree with you I wouldn't ignore anyone just because they have a different outlook on things
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Mike Vick did pretty well. Who knows how good he could've been if he had stayed healthy. It was only last year that he really fell off the cliff. But his first couple years running Reid's offense were pretty spectacular considering he didn't play every game. Michael Vick has a top 5 arm in this league. Probably throws a better deep ball than any QB in the NFL. His avg/comp during his 2 best seasons ('10-'11) was 8.1 and 7.8 respectively. He only threw for 12 TD's in '10, but passed for over 3000 yards. 2011 saw him step up the passing TDs to 17 with 3300 yards passing. The problem with Mike Vick is his accuracy. In 2010 he was only at 62% and then dropped to 59% the year after.

All we hear about with Alex Smith is how accurate he is and how he doesn't turn the ball over. Reid asked Vick to throw the ball an average of 400 times between '10-'11. In 2011, Smith was asked to throw the ball 450 times and ended the season with a passer rating of 91 throwing a 17/5 TD/INT ratio and a 60% completion percentage with over 3100 yards passing. Those numbers are almost identical to Cassel's career year. Through 8 games of 2012, Alex Smith was on track to throw about 450 times like he had in 2011. Except, in '12, he had a 70% completion rate instead of just 60% like in 2011. If you look at Smith's career, he has improved almost every year. I don't understand this notion that if Smith is asked to throw 400+ times in a season, that he won't be successful, when in fact, his stats tell you the exact opposite. Statistically, the two best seasons of Alex Smith's career (2011, 2012) have come when he was asked to throw the ball 27 times a game. Reid only asked McNabb to throw 29 times a game over his career and only asked Vick to throw 24 times a game.

Alex Smith is perfectly matched with Andy Reid's system. He's accurate, can consistently complete the short throws, take care of the ball, and now brings a L.O.S. element to Andy Reid that the coach has never had before. Give Reid a QB who's smart enough to check at the L.O.S. a la Peyton Manning, and you could potentially have a VERY lethal offense. What's even better is that if Alex Smith is given the ability to check at he L.O.S., he'll be checking to quick hitting routes that will expose the defense. Who better to pull that off than a QB known for his accuracy, consistency, and ability to hit the short passes? The only real problem I have with Alex Smith and the Chiefs' dependency on this guy is his history of injuries. There's no way I would put all my eggs in that basket. I'd make damn sure I had a suitable backup because counting on him to get through an entire season is a bit risky.

I also think it's an incorrect assumption that Andy Reid can't include a run game element into his offense. Philly has been in the top half of the league in rushing more times than not since Reid has been there. They had the 5th best rushing attack in the league in '10 and '11 but dropped to 11th last season. I think Charles is going to do just fine and this offense is going to see a nice, balanced offensive attack.

Alex Smith's completion % numbers are misleading, it's easy to have good completion % numbers when 73% of your throws are under 10 yards.

From PFF:

While Smith’s stats above took a major uptick starting in 2011, there were still some red flags. While his 70.2 completion percentage last season was impressive, it also showed his unwillingness to take chances and throw the ball downfield. His average depth of target of only 8 yards was the fourth-lowest of all quarterbacks and only 8.7 percent of Smith’s passes traveled 20+ yards downfield in 2012. Among quarterbacks who started at least half their games, only Christian Ponder had a lower percentage.

He also has awful pocket presence:
    Smith also led the NFL in 2011 by taking 44 sacks, and was sacked 24 times in nine starts in 2012 before being replaced by Kaepernick. Smith was sacked on one third of his pressures in 2012, which led the league by a wide margin.

The bottomline is this, Smith doesn't win high scoring games. He relies on the running game and great defense to win games. That is the reality. Reid's quarterbacks average 35.7 attempts per game, Smith's record when he has atleast 35 attempts is 3-13. Just face it, he is a servicable qb that will be starting for us until we find a long term qb solution.

Quote Originally Posted by MyManHali View Post
    Alex Smith's completion % numbers are misleading, it's easy to have good completion % numbers when 73% of your throws are under 10 yards.

From PFF:

While Smith’s stats above took a major uptick starting in 2011, there were still some red flags. While his 70.2 completion percentage last season was impressive, it also showed his unwillingness to take chances and throw the ball downfield. His average depth of target of only 8 yards was the fourth-lowest of all quarterbacks and only 8.7 percent of Smith’s passes traveled 20+ yards downfield in 2012. Among quarterbacks who started at least half their games, only Christian Ponder had a lower percentage.

He also has awful pocket presence:
    Smith also led the NFL in 2011 by taking 44 sacks, and was sacked 24 times in nine starts in 2012 before being replaced by Kaepernick. Smith was sacked on one third of his pressures in 2012, which led the league by a wide margin.

The bottomline is this, Smith doesn't win high scoring games. He relies on the running game and great defense to win games. That is the reality. Reid's quarterbacks average 35.7 attempts per game, Smith's record when he has atleast 35 attempts is 3-13. Just face it, he is a servicable qb that will be starting for us until we find a long term qb solution.
    If it is so easy to do what Alex did, why doesn't every qb do it?

Most of what I am reading here by the Chiefs "fans" is beer can prognostication and tantrum throwing. You blanks don't have a clue about Alex Smith, his career, the factors involved or his person and abilities. You truly are unworthy of your team and sure as hell are unworthy of Alex. Fortunately he doesn't care what you think and more fortunately he will play though your stupid behavior like a focused champion.

You crybabies need to do some homework on your new QB.

PS. He is a great man of character too, did you know that? This guy will have a very positive affect on your community. He is literally self funding his own charity and saving lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Lightning View Post
    Most of what I am reading here by the Chiefs "fans" is beer can prognostication and tantrum throwing. You blanks don't have a clue about Alex Smith, his career, the factors involved or his person and abilities. You truly are unworthy of your team and sure as hell are unworthy of Alex. Fortunately he doesn't care what you think and more fortunately he will play though your stupid behavior like a focused champion.

PS. He is a great man of character too, did you know that? This guy will have a very positive affect on your community. He is literally self funding his own charity and saving lives.
    Some of us have done the homework. Some of us are aware what Alex Smith can bring to the table if given a good supporting cast.

Some of us aren't crying about bringing him on board as opposed to drafting a QB with the 1st pick because some of us are aware that since the AFL-NFL realignment in 1970 that every QB that the Chiefs have drafted in 43 years since that time has been a BUST, regardless of the round they were taken in or regardless of what school they came from & that the most successful QB's in Chiefs history have come via trade or FA.

Some of us are aware of the coaching carousel that Alex Smith went through in his first 6 years in SF, just like Matt Cassel did here in 4 years. John Dorsey and Andy Reid are already getting rid of the political zoo & they are in this for the long haul and Alex Smith won't be going through any carousel, here.

Good day.

Here goes the "we went to the SB (LOST) so I can trash any teams fans that didn't get there" spewage. How insightful of you to decide that none of us here didn't read up on anything/everything Smith has done during his career. Take a long walk on a short plank.
    SHUT IT

Wow! just wow! Really? You come here and read the posts of a few naysayers and through your, obviously, enlarged cranium deduce that everyone here are drunken redneck fools with nothing better to do with their time than to spew drivel over a trade you believe they don't understand? Well, let me set you straight on something: most here, even the "naysayers", are intelligent enough to back up their points of view with something we here like to call "reason" having done their "homework" and providing accurate statistical data. We are not required to agree with all points of view but we do ask, no require, that those providing their points of view at least be respectful in their expression of said opinions. Personally, I like the Smith trade because of what he's been able to do at his position lately, and it is my hope that he continues to perform at a very high level.

Like Chiefster and Brdempsey said, this topic has been discussed upside down and sideways. There are those who like the trade others who like the trade and not the price paid and others that think this is Matt C. 2.0 (who, by the way is also an outstanding citizen of high character and actually has saved lives himself- from a fire-these qualities are usually a byproduct of the type of guy you want leading the team but, sadly, do not always mean great QB.)
    We love having new members come aboard and voice their 2 cents, to join the discussion, not throw "tantrum" or "crybaby" bombs on the 1st post.
    Andy Reid talked in his first interview about "finding that next Len Dawson"-the discussion is about whether or not he has. We all hope so, but you can hope in one hand and **** in the other and see which one fills up faster.

Well Reid hopefully will find the next Len Dawson. But the verdict will be out on whether it will be Smith or a QB that they could draft in the 2013 come April.
    ​Happy Halloween 2021