Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Smith=Cassel Logic

Default Smith=Cassel Logic

Can some one explain this to me:

"Because there exists a QB who became a worse player after his best season, therefor anyone who had a season comparable to that player's best season must be a bad player."

That's what I'm hearing over and over. Matt Cassel had a good season and then he sucked. We all know that. Why does that have to do with anything else? Does every personnel guy who studies game film have to go, "Wait. This guy had a season who's numbers are comparable to this Matt Cassel guy's numbers from his best season. Hold on. That must mean that this guy is going to become a bad player." Huh? What? Why would Dorsey or Reid care one bit about what happened to one specific guy who has nothing to do with their 2013 KC Chiefs? So this particular guy we're talking about happens to have been a Chief. How does that mean he has some magical ability to rub off his lack of mojo onto some one else any more than anyone else? Why not cherry pick some QB who then went on to be a better player? Who cares about Matt Cassel!

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    You keep talking about the draft in absolutes as if there are no other ways to fill any particular hole on this team. We're still 5 days away from free agency and a month and half away from the draft. All the perceived holes you think this team has will probably get addressed. It has been mentioned that the Chiefs' goal for their first pick in the draft is to find a "hall of famer" with that selection. You don't do that by TRYING to fill holes on your team. You do that by taking the best player in the draft. All indications point toward this administration believing that guy is Luke Joekel. However, Dorsey has come out and flat said that he didn't want to tip his hand as to what they're thinking... so any info out there COULD be false.

This administration is doing some VERY good things for this franchise. They're not changing just for change sake like the Pioli bunch did. They recognize the good, young talent on this team and they're changing themselves to fit the talent rather than the other way around. I think that's smart and awesome. If Pioli had done the same instead of worrying about a piece of trash on the office floor, he would probably still have his job.

Dorsey and Reid have done nothing but earn our trust since they got here. At least let them get through free agency before crying about the holes remaining on this team. I PROMISE you that the CB position will be filled before we get to the draft.

If we draft a LT it won't even be Joeckel. He had an average combine and sources have said Reid really likes Fisher.

With that being said a lot of scouts don't even have a LT in the top spot, many of them have Shariff Floyd at 1 and Dee Milliner at 2. Milliner plays CB, I would much rather pick a lock down CB then another tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    He hasn't signed his tender as of yet. And the Chiefs franchise does NOT revolve around Albert or Eric Berry. Alberts long term future is a big question mark & in 5 years he's gone from mediocre to average. He's quite expendable. The reality is, he's more of a LT-wannabe than a real LT.

Add to that Dorsey is a Ted Thompson disciple and Thompson had been quoted as saying "The NFL Draft is not about fantasy football, it's about getting the best players available to make your team better".
    Like I said, Albert won't be here after this year. I would much rather take a lock down CB, a position which we don't have then to make a slight upgrade at tackle.

I'd rrather have mcCarren next year.

Well this is my first post. And I have to say I have only been a chief fan for a few years. After marriage really, cuz my wife is a chiefs fan. I have to say before joining this fan forum, my perception of a chief's fan was more positive. Supported their team no matter what. Believed in upper management making any decision that we had to have on personnel. And above all, supporting the person that will lead us into the future. Taking out completely our personal bias's and feelings. Now I dont mean, not having any opinion, I mean thats why we are here, but i mean in the sense of not going soo crazy because maybe coach and others see what maybe we dont.

With this Alex Smith trade, lets be honest. Take any number of stats you want. Some good, some bad. Lets look at our HC. Some good years, some bad. Some said in philly he was washed up, getting too old. Should retire. Then we bring in Reid and we are all elated. He hasnt won a SB yet I dont think with the Eagles. So really what proof of a good season is he bringing. Nothing. We are giving him our trust that he can turn the ship around.

With Alex the same thing. Longevity is what seems to be a factor in today's NFL. And like it or not, there is a reason why Smith is still in the league. Unheard of teaching the entire offense to his teammates during the lockout. Had his best two seasons in not just one fluke year, but 1 almost to the SB, then helped lead his team to 6-2, before that other QB took over. Top 5 QB in QBR, efficiency, and less INT's. But soo many in hear are yelling and screaming because it's an upgrade.

I can promise you this. We wont go 2-14 this season. My partner said 3-13. lmao. But seriously. He is an upgrade. Has a WR he can depend on. That i think is even better than Crabtree on the niners. And because he excels in short to intermediate routes, it doesnt mean he cant get it deep. And above all, Whats more important. yardage, and stats. or W's in the Win column.

From watching a few fan forums i thought at the end of the day, a W is all that matters. And thats was said by Brady, Brees, Montana, Young, Favre, Namath. And many more. Also, surprisingly a few of these guys that have not only helped Alex Smith, but publicly came out in support of him. I dont know about most of you. But im excited to see what Reid and Smith will do and put together this season.

Sorry soo long!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey49chief View Post
    Well this is my first post. And I have to say I have only been a chief fan for a few years. After marriage really, cuz my wife is a chiefs fan. I have to say before joining this fan forum, my perception of a chief's fan was more positive. Supported their team no matter what. Believed in upper management making any decision that we had to have on personnel. And above all, supporting the person that will lead us into the future. Taking out completely our personal bias's and feelings. Now I dont mean, not having any opinion, I mean thats why we are here, but i mean in the sense of not going soo crazy because maybe coach and others see what maybe we dont.

With this Alex Smith trade, lets be honest. Take any number of stats you want. Some good, some bad. Lets look at our HC. Some good years, some bad. Some said in philly he was washed up, getting too old. Should retire. Then we bring in Reid and we are all elated. He hasnt won a SB yet I dont think with the Eagles. So really what proof of a good season is he bringing. Nothing. We are giving him our trust that he can turn the ship around.

With Alex the same thing. Longevity is what seems to be a factor in today's NFL. And like it or not, there is a reason why Smith is still in the league. Unheard of teaching the entire offense to his teammates during the lockout. Had his best two seasons in not just one fluke year, but 1 almost to the SB, then helped lead his team to 6-2, before that other QB took over. Top 5 QB in QBR, efficiency, and less INT's. But soo many in hear are yelling and screaming because it's an upgrade.

I can promise you this. We wont go 2-14 this season. My partner said 3-13. lmao. But seriously. He is an upgrade. Has a WR he can depend on. That i think is even better than Crabtree on the niners. And because he excels in short to intermediate routes, it doesnt mean he cant get it deep. And above all, Whats more important. yardage, and stats. or W's in the Win column.

From watching a few fan forums i thought at the end of the day, a W is all that matters. And thats was said by Brady, Brees, Montana, Young, Favre, Namath. And many more. Also, surprisingly a few of these guys that have not only helped Alex Smith, but publicly came out in support of him. I dont know about most of you. But im excited to see what Reid and Smith will do and put together this season.

Sorry soo long!!!
    Good first post, and welcome to the "Crowd"!

Sorry soo long!!!
    AGREE 100%

Alex Smith is a big time upgrade from matt Cassel. He has done more then Cassel. He has WON in the playoffs. Alex Smith is better then Matt Cassel. He was hurt by some poor coaching just like I think Cassel was. The only crime that Alex Smith commited to some on here is that his first name isnt Geno.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Welcome to the board man

Not much durability that is for sure. Only 2 out of the 6 seasons has he played a full season. 73% of his completions were under 10 yards and his attempts were cut back making him more successful. He had a 45 qbr in 2011 and did well for the 8 games he played in this year (7th in qbr in 2012) But that isn't saying much for such a conservative qb.

Crabtree's numbers are worse under Smith: 36 catches 440 yards

Kaepernick: 45 Catches 665 yards.

Yes it does, it's hard to lose when you have the number 1 running game and defense.

Sorry soo long!!!

It's disappointing that supporters of our new "upgrade" have to defend him against the previous fail of a qb. Since we have given up a very high draft pick our new qb shouldn't even be comparable to Cassel, but sadly he is.
    Last edited by MyManHali; 03-11-2013 at 08:39 PM.

perspective;

2012 alex smith 70.2% comp 13TD 5int 104.2 QBR

2012 russel wilson 64.1% 26td 10int 100.1 QBR

2012 joe flacco 59.7% 22td 10int 87.5 QBR

2012 matt cassel 58.1% 6td 12int 66.9 QBR

i think its safe to say alex is a considerable upgrade and i don't think we should be worrying about the QB position for THIS year, we have more pressing needs and larger holes to fill
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

Quote Originally Posted by MyManHali View Post
    It's disappointing that supporters of our new "upgrade" have to defend him against the previous fail of a qb. Since we have given up a very high draft pick our new qb shouldn't even be comparable to Cassel, but sadly he is.
    Disappointing to whom? Those who support Alex Smith, I presume, do so of their own free will and could care less whether you agree with their point of view or not. Just because you don't see the value in the trade doesn't mean there is none. Now I agree that the trade comes, at this point, at too a great an expense for my taste, but also believe that he is an upgrade regardless of who you compare him against. Personally I'm willing to wait and see what comes of all this before completely pooh - poohing the trade. However, I do like the fact that we are at least doing something significant in FA. Who is it, exactly, that people are supposed to "defend him against" but the QB he's replacing?
    Last edited by Chiefster; 03-14-2013 at 01:07 AM.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213