Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Smith=Cassel Logic

Default Smith=Cassel Logic

Can some one explain this to me:

"Because there exists a QB who became a worse player after his best season, therefor anyone who had a season comparable to that player's best season must be a bad player."

That's what I'm hearing over and over. Matt Cassel had a good season and then he sucked. We all know that. Why does that have to do with anything else? Does every personnel guy who studies game film have to go, "Wait. This guy had a season who's numbers are comparable to this Matt Cassel guy's numbers from his best season. Hold on. That must mean that this guy is going to become a bad player." Huh? What? Why would Dorsey or Reid care one bit about what happened to one specific guy who has nothing to do with their 2013 KC Chiefs? So this particular guy we're talking about happens to have been a Chief. How does that mean he has some magical ability to rub off his lack of mojo onto some one else any more than anyone else? Why not cherry pick some QB who then went on to be a better player? Who cares about Matt Cassel!

49ers v. Chiefs

Offense
    OL-
    LT Staley/Albert
    LG Iupati/Lilja
    C Goodwin/Hudson
    RG Boone/Asamoah
    RT A. Davis/Winston

Who is better on this O-line than the Chiefs were last year? Staley is the one player on that line that I'd absolutely say is better than what the Chiefs had at that position last year.

TE- V. Davis/Moeaki

Vernon Davis is top 3 in this league. Moeaki has a good skill set but isn't on Davis' level.

WR-
    Crabtree/Bowe
    R. Moss/Baldwin
    Ginn/Newsome

The Chiefs top 2 are better than what the 49ers had. Ginn is probably better than Newsome.

RB-
    Gore/Charles
    James/Hillis

I'd take the Chiefs running game every day of the week.

Defense

DL
    LE McDonald/T. Jackson
    NT Sopoaga/Poe
    RE J. Smith/Dorsey/Pitoitua

Can't say I'd absolutely take any of those guys over what the Chiefs have. In fact, I'd let Jackson and Dorsey walk and still be perfectly satisfied with Pitoitua and Bailey at those spots and still think we're better off than SF.

OLB
    A. Brooks/Hali
    A. Smith/Houston

C'mon... is this even up for debate?

ILB
    Bowman/Johnson
    Willis/Siler

Bowman and Johnson are about equal in my opinion. Willis is THE best ILB in the league.

CB
    Rogers/Flowers
    Brown/Brown

I'd take Flowers over Rogers. I don't know enough about Tarrell Brown to have an opinion on him or Jalil.

S
    Whitner/Berry
    Goldson/Lewis

I'd take Berry easy. The Chiefs need a FS badly.

I think this team is set up quite nicely to help Alex Smith be just as successful as he was with the 49ers. You don't give the Chiefs enough credit for that talent on this team.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    There you go again... making assumptions. The deal isn't even complete. You don't know the specifics and probably won't for at least a couple more weeks. You don't know what the Chiefs gave up. I sure as hell can tell you that it won't cost the Chiefs 3000 value points to acquire him the way Geno Smith would've. You DO realize that the #1 overall pick is worth about 5 #34's, right? You can sit there and honestly say you think Geno Smith is worth 5 #34 overall picks? Give me a break. As much as you want to dog Alex, he outperformed Geno in college. Alex had a 176.5 QBR to Geno's 163.9. He had a better yards per completion average at 9.3 to Geno's 8.1. Smith had 1 TD for every 92 yards passing while Geno only had one per every 100. Geno had a better completion percentage, but it was only 71 to 68. If you want to see what Geno Smith will be in 8 years... look at Alex Smith and subtract a little. Hopefully Geno won't have to go through 5 coordinators in his first 5 seasons the way Alex did... but they're basically the same player except Geno has a little better deep ball while Alex has more experience and cost a lot less.

I wouldn't listen to the pundits about where the Chiefs will go with #1 overall. I heard one of them say they should sign Albert and move him to RT so they could have a pair of bookend OT's. lol We don't know how they value Albert or Stephenson. I thought Stephenson did a pretty good job last season as well. I don't think Albert is worth the price tag. If he were a Staley, Thomas, Clady, or Gross, that would be one thing. But Albert isn't even a top 10 LT. I'm not inclined to beat the table to bring him back at $8-10m/yr when we could draft a new LT and use the saved money on more WRs, CBs, and depth.

Wait a second, you think Luke Joeckel is worth 5 #34 picks and he didn't have a great combine. It's not worth that if you're drafting a LT when you already have a LT. We actually have 2 of them.

I go back to my proposal, which sounds better to you? Let's assume that reliable league sources are correct.

Geno Smith + Branden Albert + 34th pick (Starting CB, WR etc..) + 3rd round pick for 2014 vs. Alex Smith and Luke Joeckel.

What would you honestly take?

Quote Originally Posted by MyManHali View Post
    Wait a second, you think Luke Joeckel is worth 5 #34 picks and he didn't have a great combine. It's not worth that if you're drafting a LT when you already have a LT. We actually have 2 of them.

I go back to my proposal, which sounds better to you? Let's assume that reliable league sources are correct.

Geno Smith + Branden Albert + 34th pick (Starting CB, WR etc..) + 3rd round pick for 2014 vs. Alex Smith and Luke Joeckel.

What would you honestly take?

You do realize if we tag Bowe Alberts return is slim and we find out on Monday. There's no way on earth you think 15 million a year is gonna help this franchise. We would be totally screwed for filling the holes you have so eloquently eluded to. We are not in cap free heaven like everyone seems to think.

Joeckel at $4mill + smith at $8mill + $7mill (Greg Jennings) > Geno at $4mill + Albert at $15 mil. It's not as easy as you think my man Hali. Trust the guy u wanted here in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    Joeckel at $4mill + smith at $8mill + $7mill (Greg Jennings) > Geno at $4mill + Albert at $15 mil. It's not as easy as you think my man Hali. Trust the guy u wanted here in the first place.
    Very well said and I agree 100%. Our players are not bad. Without all the turnovers I believe our defense would dominate! Much rather see a veteran QB there to ensure we don't turn it over so much. Turnovers were my biggest concern with Matt cassell. From what I hear the draft pick we give up in next years draft is based on how well Alex does for us how can that be a bad situation?

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post

1. Cap room because of the salary floor has increased, we are SO FAR from going over the cap.

2. Tyson Jackson is scheduled to make 15 million dollars this year, cut his *** and resign albert.

BTW Greg Jennings is on the decline, why would you want him? He has had knee problems and has not had a great year in over 2 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by MyManHali View Post
    BTW Greg Jennings is on the decline, why would you want him? He has had knee problems and has not had a great year in over 2 seasons.
    He wouldn't have to be "great" for us with Bowe we just need a solid number 2 Jennings could still fill that role. Not every player on a team is going to be great. Remember the Eagles tried loading up on stars as did the Cowboys in the uncaped season what did that get them? There would be nothing wrong with adding a guy who can still be solid if the price is right. His Knee problems should be considered when working out the price.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    He wouldn't have to be "great" for us with Bowe we just need a solid number 2 Jennings could still fill that role. Not every player on a team is going to be great. Remember the Eagles tried loading up on stars as did the Cowboys in the uncaped season what did that get them? There would be nothing wrong with adding a guy who can still be solid if the price is right. His Knee problems should be considered when working out the price.

He can't be solid if he is not on the field. He has been plagued by concussion and knee problems. He played 8 games last year.

I don't consider 7-8 million + a "right price."

This is like deja vu all over again. Last year I argued about bringing in injury prone players for fear of them getting hurt and not playing. We were arguing about bringing in John Carlson and Kevin Boss, both didn't even play last year.
    Last edited by MyManHali; 03-01-2013 at 07:42 PM.

Okay we don't have to spend 7mill on Jennings all that means is you can add another player with the money saved which still stands better than giving $15mill to Albert. MMH have you looked at the list of ppl on our team that need to be signed. $11 mill is going to Bowe. Giving us $20 or so to play with u give $15 mill to Albert and we are all in with Bowe and Albert. We are really unlikely to keep both. Colquitt a gonna get at least $3milliom. We are in good shape but we are not in a we can spend whatever on whomever.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast