Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tyson jackson restructures his deal

Default tyson jackson restructures his deal

Tyson Jackson alters contract to stay with Chiefs

Posted by Josh Alper on March 5, 2013, 6:32 PM EST
    APWhen perusing a list of the most outlandish cap numbers around the league at the start of the offseason, it was hard not to focus on the $17.5 million figure held by Chiefs defensive end Tyson Jackson.
    Jackson, the third overall pick in the 2009 draft, has struggled as a pass rusher (five sacks in 59 career games) and added little to a run defense that has regularly ranked near the bottom of the league in his four years in Kansas City. There aren’t a ton of defensive ends whose production makes it easy to swallow that cap number, to say nothing of a $14.72 million salary, and Jackson was not one of them.
    So it’s no surprise that Bill Williamson of ESPN.com reports that Jackson “redid” his contract in order to remain with the team. He was on the fast track to being released if he didn’t agree to cut those gargantuan numbers down and that’s just what he’s done. There are no specifics on the new figures, but there was such a large gap between his salary and his actual value that we’d expect a pretty significant alteration.
    With Jackson remaining in the fold, the Chiefs will only have to concentrate on replacing one starting defensive end this offseason. Glenn Dorsey is a free agent and the fact that he shares a last name with the team’s new general manager isn’t expected to keep him in town.

source: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...y-with-chiefs/
    Last edited by Coach; 03-05-2013 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Please make sure to link back to the source.

the nfl network just reported this. and also reported the chiefs plan to target a big name cb in free agency. this off season is full of moves

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    They'll sign a FA CB. I highly doubt the Chiefs go into the draft needing a starting CB. Seems to me like they're filling the obvious holes that are on this team with trade candidates and FA players. This kind of approach makes sense if you actually take the front office at their word of drafting the "best player available." They haven't made a move with the franchise tag yet, which would lead you to believe they're waiting till the last possible moment in hopes of extending either Bowe or Albert in order to tag the other.

I think it's pretty obvious at this point that Dwayne Bowe will be on this team in 2013. If they find a way to extend Bowe, I fully expect Albert to be franchised. This administration seems to like filling holes with known commodities. I even expect Tyson Jackson to come back after Dorsey's comments on the matter a few days ago.

Despite Jackson's relative lack of production, Dorsey is enamored with the 296-pound lineman's strength in defending the run. It was evident to Dorsey when he visited with Jackson last week.“He walked in and talked to me the other day and he's as square as the door frame,” Dorsey said. “He's just a very big guy, he's very strong at the point (of attack).”
    The Chiefs will remain in a 3-4 alignment under new defensive coordinator Bob Sutton, but will likely employ more aggressive blitz packages similar to the scheme Sutton ran with the Jets. In third-down situations, Sutton could switch to a 4-3 on occasion to give Jackson more opportunities to rush the passer.
    “I can't wait to see what the coaches are doing to kick him in on third down to see if he can push the pocket,” Dorsey said.

That doesn't look like a GM who's going to be replacing both DE's to me. Alex Smith at QB, Albert at LT, Bowe at WR, T.J. at DE, and perhaps a guy like Sean Smith from Miami or Revis from Philly at CB could be expected as well. But if those are the moves that are going to be made, you can't expect too much more from the Chiefs. Their cap room won't allow it. In fact, I'd be shocked if they were able to pull all that off.

I'm actually starting to buy in to the whole "best player available" thing if they keep flirting with all these free agents. If we no longer have holes to fill left by Bowe, Albert, and T.J., then this administration can concentrate on filling the holes that previously existed with their draft picks... which is pretty exciting considering how talented this team already is.
    Boy... talk about a good guess.

I'm glad we finally have a good GM who can get things done. And nothing was more painful to me than watching Pioli on all the nfl network combine coverage.
    Doing my best to keep my sons memory alive!!!

Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by MissingTBone View Post
    I'm glad we finally have a good GM who can get things done. And nothing was more painful to me than watching Pioli on all the nfl network combine coverage.
    this. Especially when he was asked about chiefs matters as if he was in a position to give a valid opinion about what the franchise should do.

I'd love to see us go for Talib in FA, at least is seems early doors as if the new GM knows what he's doing unlike the fraud Pioli.

Matt's turn.
    *** Kansas City Chiefs 2013 - 2014 ***

Quote Originally Posted by KristofLaw View Post
    Matt's turn.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! There should be a law against this!

I read on espn that Jackson's new cap number is around $5mm. If so, this move created $12mm in cap room. Nice job by Dorsey!

Quote Originally Posted by 70 chiefsfan70 View Post
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! There should be a law against this!
    I meant for a year at 1/2 million or so. He needs to realize he's well overpaid himself. Just dropping him is going to cost about 6 million or so I have heard, maybe my numbers are wrong but even just dropping him is best I guess.

He's still on the Chiefs until they release him, why not try get his contract into better order since he's here (at no longer than a yr though obviously) and Dorsey and company have been getting money moved around as is. . .
    Last edited by KristofLaw; 03-06-2013 at 11:53 AM.
    *** Kansas City Chiefs 2013 - 2014 ***

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast