Thread: for those of you mad thinking the chiefs won't draft a qb

Default for those of you mad thinking the chiefs won't draft a qb

they will probably still draft one just not in the 1st round

Expect the Chiefs to go looking for a backup QB

February 28

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs have their starting quarterback, or will have in a couple of weeks, once their trade for Alex Smith becomes official. But don’t think for a minute the Chiefs are finished at that position for this year.

Order Reprints
    Kansas City Chiefs general manager John Dorsey

More News

Read more NFL Draft

The only quarterbacks the Chiefs currently have under contract are Matt Cassel, who will be traded or released, as well as Ricky Stanzi and Alex Tanney. Neither Stanzi nor Tanney has ever taken a snap in a regular season NFL game. Brady Quinn is a potential unrestricted free agent and the Chiefs appear ready to set him free.
    So there’s room for at least one more quarterback. John Dorsey’s history with Green Bay is that the Packers would many times draft a quarterback in a middle to late round in hopes of finding a gem. The same for Andy Reid with the Eagles, so expect the Chiefs at least to investigate heavily and perhaps make a pick in the third round or later.
    Whatever they do, the Chiefs need a quarterback capable of stabilizing the situation in case Smith falters or is injured. Perhaps the biggest failure of Scott Pioli’s time with the Chiefs is that they were rendered helpless (except for three games with Kyle Orton) when Cassel was injured or not playing well. Pioli paid for that decision with his job.
    Don’t expect Dorsey and Reid to repeat it.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/02/28...o-looking.html

It absolutely would not surprise me to see Dorsey draft another QB.

Chiefs passing on "franchise" QB's in the draft? In bold are the opportunities the Chiefs had to take one of the starting NFL QB's in the draft.

ESPN QB Listing:
    Tom Brady #199 in 2000 (Fluke pick)
    Aaron Rodgers #24 in 2005/ Chiefs have Trent Green and take D.J. #15.
    Peyton Manning #1 overall
    Drew Brees #64 in 2001/ Chiefs acquire Trent Green for #12 overall
    Ben Roethlisberger #11 in 2004/ Chiefs have Trent Green and no 1st rd pick
    Philip Rivers #4 in 2004/ Chiefs have Trent Green and no 1st rd pick
    Matt Ryan #3 in 2008/ Chiefs' pick is #5
    Mike Vick #1 in 2001/ Chiefs acquire Trent Green for #12 overall
    Eli Manning #1 in 2004/ Chiefs have Trent Green and no 1st rd pick
    Tony Romo UNDRAFTED
    Joe Flacco #18 in 2008/ Chiefs pick Glenn Dorsey #5 overall go with Huard/Thigpen at QB
    Matt Shaub #90 in 2003/ Trent Green's 2nd year (pick Siavii #36 and Wilson #61)
    Josh Freeman #17 in 2009/ Chiefs trade 2nd rd pick for Matt Cassel
    Sam Bradford #1 in 2010/ Chiefs take Berry #5
    Jay Cutler #11 in 2006/ Chiefs take Hali #20
    Mark Sanchez #5 in 2009/ Chiefs take Tyson Jackson #3 and trade 2nd rd pick for Matt Cassel
    Kevin Kolb #36 in 2007/ Chiefs take Dwayne Bowe #23
    Matthew Stafford #1 in 2009/ Chiefs take Tyson Jackson #3 and trade 2nd rd pick for Matt Cassel
    Cam Newton #1 in 2011/ Chiefs take Jonathan Baldwin #26
    Alex Smith #1 in 2005/ Chiefs take D.J. #15
    Carson Palmer #1 in 2003/ Chiefs have Trent Green and take LJ #27
    Ryan Fitzpatrick #250 in 2005
    Andrew Luck #1 in 2012/ Chiefs take Poe #11
    RG III #2 in 2012/ Chiefs take Poe #11
    Christian Ponder #12 in 2011/ Chiefs take Baldwin #26
    Russell Wilson #75 in 2012/ Chiefs take Poe #11
    Jake Locker #8 in 2011/ Chiefs take Jonathan Baldwin #26
    Ryan Tannehill #8 in 2012/ Chiefs take Poe #11
    Brandon Weeden (Older then Alex Smith) #22 in 2012/ Chiefs take Poe #11
    Blaine Gabbert #10 in 2011/ Chiefs take Jonathan Baldwin #26

With their place in the draft, the Chiefs had the opportunity to draft:

Drew Brees in 2001
    Matt Shaub in 2003
    Tony Romo in 2003
    Aaron Rogers in 2005
    Ryan Fitzpatrick in 2005
    Kevin Kolb in 2007
    Joe Flacco in 2008
    Mark Sanchez in 2009
    Brandon Weeden in 2012
    Russell Wilson in 2012

Now, let's look at the circumstances on an individual basis.

In 2001, the Chiefs hire Dick Vermeil. He has a high-flying offense that he wants to implement. He trades for Trent Green knowing that Green is capable of performing at a high level in his offense. After watching a few years of Elvis Grbac, I can't even begin to think of how poorly a third round, 6'0 QB like Brees would have gone over.

In 2003, Trent Green was coming off his 2nd year and just threw for 3,690 yards and 26 TD's. Defense was the key concern... not a future franchise QB. Romo went undrafted and like Brady, I consider him a fluke and not a player you can hold the front office's feet to the fire over.

In 2005, defense was STILL a huge concern and 2004 was a year that saw Trent Green throw for 4591 yards and 27 TD's. Again, franchise QB isn't one of those pressing concerns to be spending first round picks on guys like Aaron Rodgers. Be honest, does anymore really want Ryan Fitzpatrick as their starting QB?

In 2006, Damon Huard was the guy under center. But is Kevin Kolb really a guy you're pounding the table for at #23 instead of Dwayne Bowe in the 2007 draft? Can anyone say they'd rather have Kolb over Bowe right now?

The 2008 draft is the one that kinda hurts. Joe Flacco is still on the board when the Chiefs take Glenn Dorsey and then head into the season with a Huard/Thigpen combo. I think Glenn Dorsey is/was capable of being a perennial Pro Bowl player in a 4-3 system. In the Chiefs' defense, Flacco didn't project to be the highest paid player going into 2013. I still have my doubts about him being a "franchise QB" but he definitely would have been an upgrade over what the Chiefs have had since the 2008 draft without any doubt.

2009 had the Chiefs taking Tyson Jackson over Mark Sanchez. That entire draft was horrible for almost every team. I'm happy the Chiefs didn't pull the trigger on Mark Sanchez. Heading into 2013, I'd rather have Matt Cassel than Mark Sanchez.

2012 was the "year of the QB" as far as the draft was concerned. The Chiefs had two opportunities to draft a current NFL starter. Brandon Weeden and Russell Wilson were the options. Weeden was a system QB and an older option at the position. The Chiefs current starter is younger than Brandon Weedon. Plus, there isn't too much about his game that makes you think he'll be a long-term answer for any team. Russell Wilson was a 3rd round QB listed under 6'0. Wilson could have saved Pioli's job but Pioli wasn't about to draft Drew Brees light and admit Cassel and Stanzi were lost causes. Personally, I can't blame the Chiefs for passing on Wilson. I probably would have to.

So, after a quick review, I think the notion that the Chiefs "constantly pass on franchise QB's" is a bit overblown. Given their situations and who was on the board during any given year, I think the Chiefs' lack of QB drafting has more to do with bad luck and timing when it came to draft position. The Chiefs haven't been given too many options to draft franchise-type guys. The ONLY gigantic glaring miss that I see is drafting Glenn Dorsey AND Branden Albert instead of Joe Flacco. But even with Flacco, I don't feel like it was a big juicy beachball of a draft pick just floating its way to the plate to be smacked out of the park. While he would've represented an upgrade over Huard/Thigpen, I don't think you could project Flacco to be what he is now. Hell, half way through 2012, some people were thinking he'd be released this offseason by Baltimore.

Yes, the Chiefs MAY have been able to trade up for one of the other QB's ahead of them, but that's pure speculation at this point. In conclusion, I think the Chiefs just have had a run of bad luck instead of just straight ignorance when it comes to drafting a QB.

Honestly, winning a super bowl would be great, but since I do not play for the team I would almost rather have a team like we had in 2003. I have never had more fun watching a football team like the 03 Chiefs. Explosive offense, exciting games, man I am getting old.

I think we will be drafting another qb and I know we should be drafting another qb.

Texaschief, how can you say the Chiefs have not passed on good franchise qbs?????? Every other team out there has attempted and drafted better qbs then we have in the last 20 years. Is there any wonder that we are drafting first. Its a very rare occation that a quality young qb hits the fa market, and if they do they generally cost a heck of a lot more then drafting one does.

The good teams figure out a way............. The Chiefs have no excuse!

Quote Originally Posted by 70 chiefsfan70 View Post
    I think we will be drafting another qb and I know we should be drafting another qb.

Texaschief, how can you say the Chiefs have not passed on good franchise qbs?????? Every other team out there has attempted and drafted better qbs then we have in the last 20 years. Is there any wonder that we are drafting first. Its a very rare occation that a quality young qb hits the fa market, and if they do they generally cost a heck of a lot more then drafting one does.

The good teams figure out a way............. The Chiefs have no excuse!

That's not what I said. All I said is that the ignorance on the part of the Chiefs isn't nearly as pathetic as some would like us to believe.