Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs keep Bowe, Albert, Colquitt

Default Chiefs keep Bowe, Albert, Colquitt

Quote Originally Posted by Bortnem View Post
    You dont want to see the Chiefs draft another defensive back that cant cover anyone's grandma, higher than #20 when Berry, the person you are complaining about, just went to the pro bowl for the 2nd time in 3 years and he tore his ACL the other year? Last years defense had him playing so close to the line to help stop the run and playing man on much bigger TEs. Thats not Berry's game. Look how much better he was in the pass game his rookie year when they let him play cover 2 or cover 1 and play center field and watch the QB. They were making him play out of position, just like they did to Dorsey. He is a ball hawk, not a man-to-man shut down corner. Maybe if we could stop the run with the front 7 like we are supposed to, then he wouldnt have to play up at the line and make more tackles than half the LBs.

I would be more than happy to take the best CB available, assuming we dont get one in F/A, and pair him with Flowers so we have at least some decent CBs. Otherwise we have only one true starter and a bunch of special teamers that should only come in in nickle and dime situations. We need another CB badly, so why not take the best one in the draft?
    Berry couldn't cover anybody in his rookie year, either. He gave up 9 TD passes & Todd Heap took him to the cleaners in that playoff game against Baltimore. If you think that Berry deserved to be in the Pro Bowl in either 2010 or 2012, then you have been blinded by hero-worship. He wasn't any better in pass coverage in 2010 than he was in 2012 & if a DB doesn't have cover skills, then he's not worth taking at #5. He's a classic case of the media making a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

And you ask "why not take the best DB"? Because, with Alex Smith coming on board, O-Line becomes priority #1, like it or not. In case you haven't noticed, since 2007 the Oakland Raiders have came into Arrowhead and won every single contest with the primary reason being their Defensive Front 7 obliterating the Chiefs O-Line & Branden Albert has had about as much impact regarding that matter, as a fart from a beaver in a tree. And that's not the only example, I could on and on. They can draft DB's till their blue in the face, but until they get a first-rate O-Line in front of whoever the QB is, the Chiefs are going nowhere.

An idea I hadn't thought of is the Chiefs being so "far apart" with Albert on a new deal could flip him to a team like St. Louis for one of their first round picks or a 2nd round pick and then flip the later of the picks to SF in the Smith trade. The team we traded Albert to would sign him to an extended contract and all parties are happy. The Chiefs turn Albert into an early round draft pick while having the chance to take a LT #1 overall. There may be some chance the Chiefs could land #22 from St. Louis and if they could, I'd do that deal without blinking an eye. Chiefs take LT #1, then BQBA at #22 and they're set.

Just a thought.

[QUOTE=texaschief;279118]An idea I hadn't thought of is the Chiefs being so "far apart" with Albert on a new deal could flip him to a team like St. Louis for one of their first round picks or a 2nd round pick and then flip the later of the picks to SF in the Smith trade. The team we traded Albert to would sign him to an extended contract and all parties are happy. The Chiefs turn Albert into an early round draft pick while having the chance to take a LT #1 overall. There may be some chance the Chiefs could land #22 from St. Louis and if they could, I'd do that deal without blinking an eye. Chiefs take LT #1, then BQBA at #22 and they're set.

I would love to see this happen, but I just dont think the Rams would do that, They have a large amout of good picks and are struggling with the cap. Maybe they could restructure Sam B's contract as the whole world knows he is overpaid.

I sure hope we can trade out of the 1st spot. It would be real nice to get a second round pick back.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Bortnem View Post
    You dont want to see the Chiefs draft another defensive back that cant cover anyone's grandma, higher than #20 when Berry, the person you are complaining about, just went to the pro bowl for the 2nd time in 3 years and he tore his ACL the other year? Last years defense had him playing so close to the line to help stop the run and playing man on much bigger TEs. Thats not Berry's game. Look how much better he was in the pass game his rookie year when they let him play cover 2 or cover 1 and play center field and watch the QB. They were making him play out of position, just like they did to Dorsey. He is a ball hawk, not a man-to-man shut down corner. Maybe if we could stop the run with the front 7 like we are supposed to, then he wouldnt have to play up at the line and make more tackles than half the LBs.

I would be more than happy to take the best CB available, assuming we dont get one in F/A, and pair him with Flowers so we have at least some decent CBs. Otherwise we have only one true starter and a bunch of special teamers that should only come in in nickle and dime situations. We need another CB badly, so why not take the best one in the draft?

I would agree with you, best case senario we trade the top pick, and get an extra second. We could get the best available cb in the first and pick up the best available qb in the second, or visaversa.

We desperately need a good cb. We saw what happened last year. The lb's were forced to play back, the saftey Berry, could not play the normal position, and we saw a ton of mismatches. The CB is now our greatest position of need. however we still need a replacement for TJ and of course, qb.

You just dont franchise a LT and pick a LT in the very top pick........................ Thats a total waste of a pick and dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by 70 chiefsfan70 View Post
    You just dont franchise a LT and pick a LT in the very top pick........................ Thats a total waste of a pick and dollars.

You do if the plan is to trade the franchised player.

Could Joeckel be an improvement from Albert in 2013? It's hard to imagine. Albert is an elite pass protector, that's average at the running game. I get that Joeckel has been an impressive LT at college level and probably will be one of the best at pro level, but I don't think he can make an instant improvement over Albert.
    The best Chilean fan.
    Follow me on twitter @ChileanChief

Quote Originally Posted by pojote View Post
    Could Joeckel be an improvement from Albert in 2013? It's hard to imagine. Albert is an elite pass protector, that's average at the running game. I get that Joeckel has been an impressive LT at college level and probably will be one of the best at pro level, but I don't think he can make an instant improvement over Albert.

The price difference and the age difference is the only benefit I see. I highly doubt that Joeckel in his prime will be any better then Abert was/is in his.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Berry couldn't cover anybody in his rookie year, either. He gave up 9 TD passes & Todd Heap took him to the cleaners in that playoff game against Baltimore. If you think that Berry deserved to be in the Pro Bowl in either 2010 or 2012, then you have been blinded by hero-worship. He wasn't any better in pass coverage in 2010 than he was in 2012 & if a DB doesn't have cover skills, then he's not worth taking at #5. He's a classic case of the media making a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

And you ask "why not take the best DB"? Because, with Alex Smith coming on board, O-Line becomes priority #1, like it or not. In case you haven't noticed, since 2007 the Oakland Raiders have came into Arrowhead and won every single contest with the primary reason being their Defensive Front 7 obliterating the Chiefs O-Line & Branden Albert has had about as much impact regarding that matter, as a fart from a beaver in a tree. And that's not the only example, I could on and on. They can draft DB's till their blue in the face, but until they get a first-rate O-Line in front of whoever the QB is, the Chiefs are going nowhere.
    I guess all the voters in the country are blind then since they keep voting him to the pro bowl. I'm impressed the coaches and players are able to play football so well while being so blind!

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    However, I WILL say that I don't think Joekel is #1 on their board if they're willing to pay Albert as a top 5 LT this season. I think they have a couple guys ahead of him or they would've just taken the cash and ran to the podium with Joekel's name while filling another position through free agency. I actually think an OLB/DE or CB will be the pick at this point. I really do think Hali is capable of playing the 3-4 DE position which could allow you to let Dorsey walk and bring in another pass rusher #1 overall.
    I have never thought about putting Tamba back at DE. If he could get even 1/2 the pass rush he does at OLB then I think it would be a great move b/c this draft is full of 3-4 OLB pass rushing studs. We could take one 1st overall or even find a decent one with the 3rd round pick. Either way, we need to get more pressure on the QB's this year or it doesnt matter who we have in the secondary. Without a pass rush, our secondary is going to get picked apart again like it did last year.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast