Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs keep Bowe, Albert, Colquitt

Default Chiefs keep Bowe, Albert, Colquitt

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    You do if the plan is to trade the franchised player.

Now that could get interesting! It sure would be nice to pick up a 2nd, beings we traded that one away.

Albert has been hated one by some Chiefs fans ever since he was drafted b/c OMG he played guard in college! Now that he's gotten better every year, to the point where he's a top 10 LT in the league, it's time to get rid of him and draft another one #1 overall. What a waste of resources. The importance of the LT position continues to diminish in this new era of football. We're not in the '90's anymore where teams win by pounding the rock.

Name the last 10 LTs that won Super Bowls. It's a yawn fest.

If the Chiefs trade Albert and draft Joeckel, great. At least they got something for him. If he stays around though this year, they will not be drafting Joeckel #1 overall. That's one of the few guarantees I'll make in this draft.

You can go back over the years and see that I'm not one of Albert's haters. I've been a defender of his since day one. Finding a franchise LT in the middle of the first round represented great value. But as you just pointed out, the value of LT's IS diminishing. So, why would you tie 10M/yr up in one. THAT is a horrible waste of resources. Taking Joekel would save $6M a year while getting younger and probably better at the position. I LOVED the value Albert represented by getting him in the middle of round 1. He no longer represents great value, so I'm no longer screaming to keep him on this team. If I'm spending top 5 LT money on a LT, he better be a top 5 LT... not a "top 10." He better be in the Pro Bowl year in and year out. Albert isn't that guy. Never will be. For what he wants relative to the other options available to the Chiefs at that position, he does NOT represent the best option or greatest value. Joekel happens to come into play because there's no other great talent to be had at #1 overall and if the Chiefs are going to stay at #1, he presents the best opportunity for the Chiefs to make sure they get a perennial Pro Bowl talent in this draft of good but not great talent.

It's apparent then that the Chiefs don't think Joeckel is the best player in this draft, thus they don't want to use another tremendous resource (the #1 pick) on him and instead will keep the player they have at LT.

Just to clairfy and add to my previous post: Joe Thomas is a better LT than Branden Albert. But the overall return to the team because of this difference is minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    It's apparent then that the Chiefs don't think Joeckel is the best player in this draft, thus they don't want to use another tremendous resource (the #1 pick) on him and instead will keep the player they have at LT.

Not necessarily the if the Chiefs plan to trade him.

Just to clairfy and add to my previous post: Joe Thomas is a better LT than Branden Albert. But the overall return to the team because of this difference is minimal.

The Browns have spent plenty of recent first, 2nd, and 3rd round picks on QB's and still have horrible production at that position... much like the Chiefs have. Yet, the Browns are picking later than the Chiefs are. Since, apparently the judgement of a LT is in a vaccum and based solely on the overall success of a team, I'd say Joe Thomas has been WELL worth the investment since he was worth 3 more wins than Branden Albert. If you told me Joekel was worth 3 more wins at LT than Albert, I'd take that every day of the week. But I think you would agree this is a silly argument. Judging a LT's influence on a team based solely on the win % is ridiculous.

If you agree that Branden Albert is not on par with Joe Thomas at LT, why do you think paying him like he is, is worth the money? I'd MUCH rather spend $6M less and spend more in the draft on a player perceived to be on Thomas' level than pay a guy who we KNOW is not on that level a comparable salary.

So PFT has the contract information for Bowe. It seems like it is mostly on the back end, which means we can probably cut or trade him if he doesnt keep up the performance. His guaranteed money is only 750k this year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-million-deal/

The Browns have spent plenty of recent first, 2nd, and 3rd round picks on QB's and still have horrible production at that position... much like the Chiefs have. Yet, the Browns are picking later than the Chiefs are. Since, apparently the judgement of a LT is in a vaccum and based solely on the overall success of a team, I'd say Joe Thomas has been WELL worth the investment since he was worth 3 more wins than Branden Albert. If you told me Joekel was worth 3 more wins at LT than Albert, I'd take that every day of the week. But I think you would agree this is a silly argument. Judging a LT's influence on a team based solely on the win % is ridiculous.
    Yeah I agree. You missed my point though in that nobody is saying Albert is better, but unless the guy is an absolute sieve at LT, there's diminishing returns on having an all-pro LT vs a good LT.

If you agree that Branden Albert is not on par with Joe Thomas at LT, why do you think paying him like he is, is worth the money? I'd MUCH rather spend $6M less and spend more in the draft on a player perceived to be on Thomas' level than pay a guy who we KNOW is not on that level a comparable salary.
    You're way too worried about the money aspect of this. Albert's going to be paid the average salary of the top 5 LTs (which is less than Joe Thomas will make). You have two things at play here. 1.) The #1 draft pick and 2.) Money. For KC, a team well under the cap, your #1 draft pick >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> money.

1.) So Albert walks...We draft Joeckel. This team is not better, I don't care how you try to swing it. The team is better b/c he makes $3-4M less? What veteran that can have the impact a #1 pick can have are you going to sign with the money you saved?
    2.) You keep Albert and draft Geno, or Star, or Floyd, or Milliner, the team is already better because you've kept a solid LT and ugraded another position.

At the end of the day Albert + #1 pick >>>>>>> Joeckel. It's that simple.

I'd rather keep him and draft qb or wr.
    No way a rookie will be a better LT over a pro.

The Chiefs can cut Albert and not owe him a penny on the tag before he signs the contract which the Chiefs might just drag their feet on.

Well It makes things interesting at now, here on the home of the Chiefs. Who will be the first round pick of the Chiefs, and will it be the first pick of the draft. I think it will be the one I think it will be. The one the Kansas City Chiefs chose! I will be shocked if that did not happen.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast