Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs keep Bowe, Albert, Colquitt

Hybrid View

Default Chiefs keep Bowe, Albert, Colquitt

The Kansas City Chiefs made sure that wide receiver Dwayne Bowe wasn't going anywhere. And they didn't have to use the franchise tag.
    Albert Breer of NFL.com reports that Bowe and the Chiefs reached a new five-year contract on Monday. ESPN first reported the news. The regime change in Kansas City ultimately helped keep Bowe in town. Signing Bowe long-term also allowed the Chiefs to use the franchise tag on Branden Albert. The Chiefs also reached a long-term agreement with punter Dustin Colquitt, according to ESPN.
    New coach Andy Reid and GM John Dorsey made it clear they were fans of Bowe, and did not want to lose him. Kansas City boasts a solid group of skill position talent with Bowe, wide receiver Jonathan Baldwin, running back Jamaal Charles, and Tony Moeaki to pair with incoming quarterback Alex Smith.
    Financial terms are still unclear, but it's safe to say Bowe will be one of the highest paid wide receivers in the league. Keeping Bowe is another sign that Reid doesn't see this Chiefs job as some great rebuilding project. They look like a team that wants to compete in 2013. To do so, they keep one of the best free agents off the market.
    Now Reid will find out the answer to a question that former Chiefs GM Scott Pioli always seemed to wonder about: How will Bowe react to big money?

Great news

Seems were not just going to let Albert walk see what happens when you let the offseason play out instead of losing your mind just because of one move
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Great news

Seems were not just going to let Albert walk see what happens when you let the offseason play out instead of losing your mind just because of one move
    Who would have thought to let things play out? I didn't think we were keeping both but am stoked we did. My god can you believe reid and Dorsey actually have a plan. Shocking.

Looks very promising we will trade down with our #1 cause we no longer need a lineman looks like db is our next need to fill

Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post
    Looks very promising we will trade down with our #1 cause we no longer need a lineman looks like db is our next need to fill
    you dont know that they might still take joeckel or fisher then move albert to rt. this o-line was not very good against the pass rush last year. and after andy went through the season with the o-line he had in philly. i wouldnt put it past him to try to create the best o-line in the nfl. after all that's the formula that made alex smith good in s.f. either way i like the bowe and albert moves but i think we should have let colquitt test the market

Quote Originally Posted by slc chief View Post
    you dont know that they might still take joeckel or fisher then move albert to rt. this o-line was not very good against the pass rush last year. and after andy went through the season with the o-line he had in philly. i wouldnt put it past him to try to create the best o-line in the nfl. after all that's the formula that made alex smith good in s.f. either way i like the bowe and albert moves but i think we should have let colquitt test the market
    That's right. Dorsey has already said that they could resign Albert and still draft Joeckel. Here's the article:

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/02/23...uld-draft.html

Just because Albert was given the franchise tag doesn't mean jack-sh!t. He hasn't signed it as of yet, there's still concerns regarding his back & people think that's it's etched in stone that the Chiefs can trade down at will, when in reality they may be stuck at #1 with nobody wanting to trade up into that slot. If they are stuck at #1, and they feel that Joeckel is the best player, then they should take him. Also, franchising Albert could also pave the way for them to trade him & recoup one of those 2nd or 3rd round picks that they are supposed to be giving up for Alex Smith.

As for drafting a DB in the top 10 -- HELL NO !!!! After seeing them waste the #5 overall pick in 2010 on a DB that can't cover anyone's grandma, I don't ever want to see this team take a DB above #20 overall, ever again. Besides, outside of QB, Andy Reid has always drafted the men up front on both sides of the ball in the top half of the 1st round.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Hopefully this can be the end of the draft Joeckel talk...the most lateral move ever.
    Don't bet on it. See the above article.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 03-04-2013 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    That's genius of him to make it seem like every player is in play for KC at 1...Only increases the theoretical value of that pick should a team want to trade up for Joeckel/Smith/anyone else. I feel pretty confident in saying that they're not going to draft Joeckel though.

And if they do, that would be completely illogical.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    That's genius of him to make it seem like every player is in play for KC at 1...Only increases the theoretical value of that pick should a team want to trade up for Joeckel/Smith/anyone else. I feel pretty confident in saying that they're not going to draft Joeckel though.

And if they do, that would be completely illogical.
    RUBBISH !!! This O-Line sucked A$$ last year & it's been that way ever since Roaf and Shields retired. If Albert is the best they've got, then they are in trouble -- especially Alex Smith. I don't care what Pro Football Focus stats say about Albert. He's NOT an anchor or roadgrader or a clutch performer at LT. Couldn't even roadgrade a DB that he outweighed by 100 lbs. in the Pittsburgh Monday Night game last year.

Joeckel has improved every season and he hasn't reached physical peak as of yet & many feel that he's the best player in the draft & like slc chief said, Andy Reid may very well want to build the best O-Line in football & taking Joeckel would be a positive step in that direction. You are forgetting that Reid consulted Dick Vermeil about the job in KC & you can bet that Vermeil mentioned something to Reid about getting the Chiefs O-line back to the level of excellence that they had when Vermeil was coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    That's right. Dorsey has already said that they could resign Albert and still draft Joeckel. Here's the article:

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/02/23...uld-draft.html

Just because Albert was given the franchise tag doesn't mean jack-sh!t. He hasn't signed it as of yet, there's still concerns regarding his back & people think that's it's etched in stone that the Chiefs can trade down at will, when in reality they may be stuck at #1 with nobody wanting to trade up into that slot. If they are stuck at #1, and they feel that Joeckel is the best player, then they should take him. Also, franchising Albert could also pave the way for them to trade him & recoup one of those 2nd or 3rd round picks that they are supposed to be giving up for Alex Smith.

As for drafting a DB in the top 10 -- HELL NO !!!! After seeing them waste the #5 overall pick in 2010 on a DB that can't cover anyone's grandma, I don't ever want to see this team take a DB above #20 overall, ever again. Besides, outside of QB, Andy Reid has always drafted the men up front on both sides of the ball in the top half of the 1st round.

You dont want to see the Chiefs draft another defensive back that cant cover anyone's grandma, higher than #20 when Berry, the person you are complaining about, just went to the pro bowl for the 2nd time in 3 years and he tore his ACL the other year? Last years defense had him playing so close to the line to help stop the run and playing man on much bigger TEs. Thats not Berry's game. Look how much better he was in the pass game his rookie year when they let him play cover 2 or cover 1 and play center field and watch the QB. They were making him play out of position, just like they did to Dorsey. He is a ball hawk, not a man-to-man shut down corner. Maybe if we could stop the run with the front 7 like we are supposed to, then he wouldnt have to play up at the line and make more tackles than half the LBs.

I would be more than happy to take the best CB available, assuming we dont get one in F/A, and pair him with Flowers so we have at least some decent CBs. Otherwise we have only one true starter and a bunch of special teamers that should only come in in nickle and dime situations. We need another CB badly, so why not take the best one in the draft?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast