Thread: Salary Cap Status

Default Salary Cap Status

Does anyone have an accurate/reliable resource showing how much of the salary cap we have tied up this offseason so far?

I have heard different numbers, and I don't know which to believe. With the signing if Bowe, Colquitt and tagging Albert, I'm curious to see how much room in the 123mil cap we will have for free agency.

Do we have the cap room to go after a trade for Revis? For one of the other FA CBs or a FA WR?

I think we're over right now. The rest of this offseason is going to depend on what salary they can trim from the current roster. Cutting Cassel will save $2M because he's guaranteed 6 of the 8 he'll make this year. Cutting Jackson will save another $14M but I think it's more likely that he'll get restructured so expect half that. There are no hard numbers yet for Bowe's deal, so it would all be conjecture at this point. I don't expect the Chiefs to be able to add anymore substantial salaries unless they cut T.J. or trade Albert.

http://overthecap.com is a good source.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    I think we're over right now. The rest of this offseason is going to depend on what salary they can trim from the current roster. Cutting Cassel will save $2M because he's guaranteed 6 of the 8 he'll make this year. Cutting Jackson will save another $14M but I think it's more likely that he'll get restructured so expect half that. There are no hard numbers yet for Bowe's deal, so it would all be conjecture at this point. I don't expect the Chiefs to be able to add anymore substantial salaries unless they cut T.J. or trade Albert.
    Everything I read says that cutting Cassel would save the Chiefs 5.6mm against the cap. The Jackson deal will be reworked. We are good shape in terms of the cap. If they release Jackson, you can bet the farm we will be drafting a DL with the 1st pick considering we need to replace Glenn Dorsey as well. I think we end up signing a free agent ILB.

Well, I'm not sure what everyone else is lookin at, but the guy is guaranteed more than $2M this season and he's scheduled to make $8m. Not sure how they save any more than $2M by releasing him. Trading him is a different story.

This is the best info I was able to find on what our Salary cap Status is with a full breakdown of every players contract. If you scroll all the way down they have the totals all there, with what our effective cap status is (after considering dead space, rollover etc). According to this site, we have about 9 mil left. This info does include Alex Smith's contract, but doesnt include the Dunta Robinson signing, or any thing from today.

Of note, Cassel is still on the roster, which could save us 7 mil by cutting him if I read that correctly.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/cap-hit/

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Everything I read says that cutting Cassel would save the Chiefs 5.6mm against the cap. The Jackson deal will be reworked. We are good shape in terms of the cap. If they release Jackson, you can bet the farm we will be drafting a DL with the 1st pick considering we need to replace Glenn Dorsey as well. I think we end up signing a free agent ILB.
    They've already restructured TJ's contract. They are also visiting with DE Mike De Vito who played under current DC Bob Sutton. Drafting a D-Lineman in the top half of the 1st round for the 3-4 defense -- outside of a NT like Poe -- is totally ludicrous.